Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Stable?  (Read 3230 times)

MintPastille

• View Profile
Stable?
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:18 pm »
Hello,

I just found this library, and I must say that although I haven't tried it yet I'm impressed. I wonder though, is it stable? Are there many bugs? Is it safe to start developing something using it, or could the design of the API change drastically in the future?

Just wondering - these might be vague questions, but a small status report wouldn't hurt :)

Thanks,
Martin

Wizzard

• View Profile
Stable?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:34:39 am »
I have not ran into any bugs after a few months of developing a RPG with SFML and the bugs reported on the forum seem to be very minor and are fixed extremely fast. Updates have proven to be incompatible with each other, but in in the past I've only had to change a few lines to make my code work again.

On a side note, the quality of SFML is above that of Allegro, SDL, and Clanlib for games and/or multimedia development in my opinion. The only thing I have found that I do not like about SFML is that it must be dynamically linked on Linux.

eleinvisible

• View Profile
Stable?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:07:27 pm »
Version 1.3 is very stable, and I've had near zero problems running from the SVN, however I did have problems with version 1.2 (VS2008 libraries were built incorrectly and is now fixed).

But I did notice that features are being added a rate much higher than that of SDL/Allegro, and is still faster than either, which I find impressive. However I did read that SDL is back in active development, which may be nice to see... I still use SDL and SFML, but I seem to be using SFML more and more.