Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: N900 port  (Read 5375 times)

Tronic

• View Profile
    • http://performous.org/
N900 port
« on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:13 am »
It would be nice to have SFML for the Nokia N900 phone. Since the Maemo OS that the phone uses is essentially a desktop Linux system, porting SFML might only require compiling and .deb packaging, at least if SFML can run on GLES2.

Any chance of that happening or are there some obstacles that I am overlooking?

I will install the SDK and hack around a bit to get used to that and after a while I could probably try porting SFML myself, if it seems feasible. Maemo already has all the libraries that SFML depends on (as well as plenty of others such as Boost, SDL, glibmm, ...).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
N900 port
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:21 am »
SFML is not ready for OpenGL ES (especially 2.0), but this is my next big task, after SFML 2.0 is released.

So you shouldn't bother trying to port it before I make the modifications that I have in mind ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Tronic

• View Profile
    • http://performous.org/
N900 port
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:11:31 am »
Good to know. I'll get back to this later then, possibly on MeeGo and/or N9.

dvoid

• View Profile
N900 port
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:46:12 am »
I'm also interested in a N900 port ( also android and iphone of course), i might be able to give a hand at porting it. Having sfml on all our (company) target platforms would help immensely , my other alternative is to implement all sfml functionality I'm using myself. but that seems like a huge waste of time :S

nfries88

• View Profile
N900 port
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:42:15 pm »
Quote from: "dvoid"
I'm also interested in a N900 port ( also android and iphone of course), i might be able to give a hand at porting it. Having sfml on all our (company) target platforms would help immensely , my other alternative is to implement all sfml functionality I'm using myself. but that seems like a huge waste of time :S

I'm not familiar with OpenGL ES, but judging from the wikipedia article it seems like a ton of work would be involved in supporting version 2.0. It seems like it would be worth investigating the devices using version 2.0 and seeing if they also support 1.0 or 1.1 (or is that how it works anyway, with the wikipedia article being misleading?)

I can tell you that most of the OpenGL function calls are located in the Graphics library (duh), so that would be the portion of the code to check out first. There's also a little use in the Window library, but only initialization code.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
N900 port
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »
I'm not used to development on those kind of platforms(but interested!) but I think that they would need a replacement for the Window library since those platforms don't have support for windows. So a sfml-mobile or something library would be needed. Just spewing out my ideas :D
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
N900 port
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:46:23 pm »
Of course sfml-graphics will need a major internal rewrite, and of course sfml-window will need a major API modification before one can create proper ports.

You guys should really not try to do it before I have made all the modifications I have in mind. It will be a huge waste of time.

bastien

• View Profile
    • http://bastien-leonard.alwaysdata.net
N900 port
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:00:04 am »
Quote from: "nfries88"
Quote from: "dvoid"

I'm not familiar with OpenGL ES, but judging from the wikipedia article it seems like a ton of work would be involved in supporting version 2.0. It seems like it would be worth investigating the devices using version 2.0 and seeing if they also support 1.0 or 1.1 (or is that how it works anyway, with the wikipedia article being misleading?)

I don't know much about OpenGL, but I though that OpenGL ES 2 is basically OpenGL 3 with the deprecated stuff removed.
Check out pysfml-cython, an up to date Python 2/3 binding for SFML 2: https://github.com/bastienleonard/pysfml-cython

jumico

• View Profile
N900 port
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:51:38 am »
The phone works with meego which I believe can use full opengl not only opengl es.  So minimal porting would be necessary.  Unless of course you want to use it on android and ios.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
N900 port
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:03:18 am »
Quote from: "jumico"
The phone works with meego which I believe can use full opengl not only opengl es.  So minimal porting would be necessary.  Unless of course you want to use it on android and ios.

Well SFML is supposed to be Cross-platform so if Laurent decides to go Mobile he'll go mobile all the way :)
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

type1j

• View Profile
OpenGL ES 2.0
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
If one does have code that would belong in SFML (enabling it on a new platform, for example), how would one go about submitting it?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: OpenGL ES 2.0
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 01:08:27 pm »
If one does have code that would belong in SFML (enabling it on a new platform, for example), how would one go about submitting it?

There's no "standard" or "official" way of submitting new ports (or new code in general). If someone wants to submit code, he can open a topic on the forum, or send me a PM or e-mail and then we can see what to do.

But I don't recommend writing new ports, I have a lot of things to modify internally before. I'll probably start doing it after SFML 2.0 is released.