Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: "Bugger!" -- a game about debugging  (Read 5127 times)

wilbefast

• View Profile
    • http://wilbefast.com
"Bugger!" -- a game about debugging
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »
Hi guys!

I keep forgetting to post this: I've been working for some time on a game called "Bugger!", written in C++ using SFML 1.6. Still a lot of work to do, but I think it has reached that "critical mass" moment when things start getting a little easier:

Basically you play as a lone programmer, shooting up various "bugs" with debugging equipment. Not at all inspired by life experience  :roll:

Rather than repeating myself, for more information, clips, screenshots and so on, here are some links. Right now there isn't a demo available, but I'm hoping to release an early playable build sometime at the beginning of next year. Till then:
[/b]
Very happy with the library so far: compared to SDL it's a dream come true, and since this is a 2D game there's no need for the added functionality (and complexity) or "pure" OpenGL. I'm using it for everything media-oriented: I also wrote my own custom draw-order-manager which I'd be happy to explain.
Anyway yeah, I owe Laurent a lot  :wink:

Tell me what you think of this idea (but bear in mind that the art is placeholder)!

William  :D

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »
Looks funny :D

I think, you could make it even funnier if there were more game elements such as different bugs, power-ups, more weapons, maybe different game modes, ... Just be creative ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

wilbefast

• View Profile
    • http://wilbefast.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:19:09 pm »
Quote from: "Nexus"
Looks funny :D

I think, you could make it even funnier if there were more game elements such as different bugs, power-ups, more weapons, maybe different game modes, ... Just be creative ;)

We still a long way to go  :wink: I'm planning on including 9 enemies (named after common bugs) and 6 weapons (named after debugging techniques). Other double-entente stuff will be there as well (like teleports called "jump-to statements", etc).

Actually: while you're here, I was just trying to compile the game for Windows. It works... fairly well, but one big problem is that there is no sound   :(

I've included the following DLLs in the working directory:
  • libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
  • libsndfile-1.dll
  • OpenAL32.dll
  • sfml-audio.dll
  • sfml-graphics.dll
  • sfml-system.dll
  • sfml-window.dll
And there are no errors. It also seems to be drawing 129x129 sections of an Image when I ask it to draw 128x128 sprite. Windows :roll:

On Monday I'll upload the file (if I can't fix it): my internet is far too slow at home (wifi citéU - go figure).

If you use Linux you'll be able to give the bug-free (except for the enemies of course) version a spin  :D

shamanas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:07 pm »
Hey :)
Very nice game, I love tha gameplay, nice work

As an improvement, you could add code lines on the walls or on the ground, it would be very nice and of course it sticks to the theme of the game :P