Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML is a stranger to Ubuntu  (Read 5196 times)

Hugo

• View Profile
SFML is a stranger to Ubuntu
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:28:38 am »
Hello, ever since I started playing M.A.R.S.(mars-game.sourceforge.net/?page_id=8) I've been finding random ways to help them. One of them is making them a .deb(similar to .msi files in windows or .dmg files in Mac OSX) and soon a PPA(an online link that provides the latest version of a package(.deb)).  To do this I need every one of M.A.R.S.'s dependencies(libraries it needs to run, like libjpeg) to be available for download out of Ubuntu's repository. SFML2 is not in any Ubuntu repository, so it is difficult to install M.A.R.S. if you are a normal person.

In short I want to make SFML2 a PPA and soon get it into Ubuntu's repository, this would make SFML2 more famous and programs made with it easier to use.

I'll PM someone the PPA account details since there doesnt appear to be a launchpad account for SFML

Oh and SFML in Linux only needs .so files and maybe some documentation right?

nulloid

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:12:33 am »
Don't you want to wait until SFML2 officially comes out? o.O

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:26:40 am »
No, with a PPA you can easily update sfml beta to the official sfml2 when it comes out

nulloid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »
My point was that packages are usually made from stable releases. Or... am I wrong?

Btw, I can't help, just I don't think fetching packages on a daily basis is good idea. But again, perhaps I'm wrong. Anyway, good luck :)

[EDIT] I just looked around, and I'm wrong :D Sorry for that.
[EDIT2] SFML needs documentation, .so files, and it's dependencies (libfreetype, libopenal, etc.). At least these are I'm aware of :) But hey, there is an SFML1.6 package. Maybe you should check it out, how it is constructed and what does it contain.

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:09:39 am »
Its alrigt , you learned something new

I'll look for this package and update it immediately

I also have to make one for libglew

Hugo

• View Profile
Progress
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:42:52 am »
I dont have to make a libglew package, SFML comes with libglew internally
I couldnt find the old .deb

for the .deb: which directories do I put the sfml-dev.so's in for it to work with compilers? what about the "normal" sfml.so's for it to work with programs that use SFML?

As for the PPA, I can make one using launchpad, but this one takes a while, the easy way for easy download of SFML is called getdeb.net

nulloid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:41:50 pm »
well, after i compiled sfml2 on my machine, it copied the .so files in /usr/local/lib with name libsfml-graphics.so.2.0, libsfml-graphics.so.2.0.0 and libsfml-graphics.so. Dunno what are these, but you can get a clue from the makefiles generated by cmake in the repo. (I hope I understood your question well :))

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:37:19 am »
Yes, this was very useful thank you

To make a PPA, I have to make a .deb with the SFML2 source with a file that tells it how to compile it, like cmake, or premake

nulloid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:40:26 pm »
You mean that CMakeLists.txt? It's there in sfml2's directory. If it is not, then I don't have a clue :\

anything