Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Core Passage  (Read 3844 times)

Wander

• View Profile
    • Email
The Core Passage
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:31:17 am »
Two of my friends and I are embarking on an attempt to create a top-down RTS. This RTS will take place in the medieval times. I'm not going to go in details about the background story, but I will be posting ideas, screenshots, and information on what we have done. Feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
-Wander

Wander

• View Profile
    • Email
The Core Passage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07:18 am »
MapCreator()

This is how we decided to create the maps that we will use in-game. We didn't want to take the time to create a random-map generator (and we didn't no quite where to start), and we most certainly did not want to hard-code our maps, so we decided to make a MapCreator() class. You simply click where you want to place special terrain (anything other than average, walkable ground), and it places it. We haven't decided how we are going to choose the type. I'm thinking holding a keyboard key while you click will place a certain type. We could also have a visual menu to click on. We still thinking. It doesn't need to be user-friendly (although it would be nice), for only the founders will have access to it.
Don't go telling me that my terrain looks like crap, please. We obviously haven't added textures yet. :D

This is the map as a 50x50 square. We will make it bigger when the MapMaker() is done and we start making the first map. The only thing I'm worried about is the idea that it might start lagging like there is no tomorrow when we make it more like about 75x75 or 100x100.
-Wander

ActionBoy

• View Profile
The Core Passage
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »
Looks like a great start.

bkaxrf

• View Profile
The Core Passage
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:12:13 pm »
If you want to create a random map generator in the future, an easy way is to use a perlin noise generator.  It will give you a "height" value for each tile position, then you can decide which tile block to use for that specific height.  For instance: y<=10 could be water, 10<y<=15 could be sand, 15<y<=40 could be grass, y>40 could be mountain tops or something.  Then, if the height is in the grass range, you could randomly put trees, rocks, etc

Perlin noise generators can be confusing to understand how they work,  but they are extremely simple to use.  Just set a few parameters, pass in an x,y pair, get back a height value.

You could either use libnoise or just a simple perlin nosie class like this one: http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Perlin_Noise_Class.shtml

CJ_COIMBRA

• ICQ Messenger - 13077864
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cjcoimbra.com
    • Email
The Core Passage
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:17 am »
It won´t lag when you increase map dimensions. I´ve worked with arrays 400x400 and it didn´t lag. But you probably don´t need to use memory for all squares at the same time. There are several scrolling techniques to avoid overloading.
CJ

Wander

• View Profile
    • Email
The Core Passage
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 07:40:43 am »
@ActionBoy: Thanks. :)

@bkaxrf: Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely take that as a suggestion if we try to remake our map maker into a random generator.

This is our first game and collaborative project, so it won't be that great, but I will be posting what we have so far in a few days. It will just be a menu and then what we have of the map and UI.
-Wander