Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Attaching image to a sprite  (Read 2087 times)

sammy

• View Profile
Attaching image to a sprite
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »
i'm sure that i just mad a very stupid mistake but i can't help myself
here's my code
Code: [Select]

void CDrawable::SetResource(std::string strID)
{
m_strResourceID = strID;

CResourceBMP* tempRes;
tempRes = static_cast<CResourceBMP* > (RESOURCEMANAGER->GetResource(m_strResourceID));
m_pSprite.SetImage(tempRes->GetImage());
delete tempRes;
tempRes = NULL;
}
//------------------------------------------------------
sf::Image CResourceBMP::GetImage()
{
return m_pImage;
}

The GetImage() method hands over a reference to its image, but m_pSprite just contains a NULL-pointer as image after calling SetImage() so that the programm just draws white rectangles or i get an acces violating.
the RESOURCEMANAGER stores the resources in a map, but its already completed when setting the resources to the objects. so it can't be an error cause of moving the image in memory because the vector/map expands.

i don't see the forrest because of all the trees, as you say here in Germany;)

downtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »
I think i have an idea what is causing this Problem.

The function tempRes->GetImage() returns a Copy of your image to the
call of SetImage(). Because of the fact that Sprites only store a Resource pointer and that the tempory Object from tempRes->GetImage() does not get stored anywhere it gets deleted instantly after calling this function.

Thats the Reason the Sprites image is NULL.

Hope you understood what i meant -.-'

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »
This code is quite user-unfriendly and overly complicated. I don't wonder that you lose track of it ;)

static_cast<CResourceBMP* > (RESOURCEMANAGER->GetResource(m_strResourceID));Can't the resource manager return the correct type? Does it return a pointer to base class? This is not generally bad, but you have to be careful, since static_cast doesn't perform a runtime check. So, if the pointer type is wrong, you get undefined behaviour.

The other problem of this method is that it returns a pointer to memory of which the caller is responsible. Maybe you should use an RAII alternative that automatically frees the owned memory (std::auto_ptr), or at least call the method "Create..." or similar.

delete tempRes;Here you destroy the object. I guess that the image is invalidated, so you can't access it later.

tempRes = NULL;This is completely useless, since the pointer goes directly out of scope anyway.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

sammy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:04:34 pm »
hmm, that were my solutions, too. but when executing the code line-by-line in visual studio, the GetImage-function is called properly and the right image is returned. but after calling the SetImage-method and befor the tempRes is deleted, the sprite contains no image. so as i concluded, the deleting of the tempRes can't cause this problem. or am i wrong?

@ nexus
yes your right, there is a lot of redundance in my code, i just have to simplify it... :roll:
the manager returns the base class, but it would be better to overload the GetRes-function

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »
Like already been said, you return a copy of the image allocated on the stack, not the heap, and when it is destroyed the sprite is changed to point to NULL.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

anything