Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Windows (focus, decoration...) and spatial sound  (Read 2295 times)

kaoD

• View Profile
Windows (focus, decoration...) and spatial sound
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:47:52 pm »
Hello. I was looking for an alternative to SDL that supported multiple windows and found SFML. Nice library, looks real good and really fits my needs (at the moment.)

I just needed a portable window management system to wrap around OpenGL. I'm planning to do a game with many windows, but I don't want to write a virtual window system inside my game. I've chosen true windows for simplicity and easy of customization and integration for the user.

I see SFML does not support focus requests... is it ever going to be implemented? I sure hope so, I'll try to implement in between OSes myself, but still... And, is there any portable way to know if some window has the focus? Will multi-display be supported anytime soon?

I'm also interested in undecorated windows, since I want to draw my own borders, title bar... I didn't find anything about this, is it possible? Will it ever be?

I will probably use the spatialized sound module too. Is is really spatial? I mean, does it process the signals to simulate a 3d sound with two speakers? Is it only for multi-speaker systems (5.1, 8.1...)? I'd test it myself, but I don't have headphones, so the effect wouldn't really work.

Thanks.

Oneiros

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »
Hello,

With sfml2 you can have undecorated window (in 1.6 I don't know)
with using style::None when creating  a window.

but if by focus request you mean that sfml  say if you gain or lost focus on a window if it's not in sfml1.6 I have see it in sfml2.
http://www.sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0/classsf_1_1Event.htm#af41fa9ed45c02449030699f671331d4a

bye (and sorry if my english is not good ^^)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:32:54 pm »
Hi

I see SFML does not support focus requests... is it ever going to be implemented?

What do you mean? You can know when a window gains/loses the focus (both in 1.6 and 2.0), but you can't set it programatically.

Will multi-display be supported anytime soon?

Anytime, yes. Soon, I don't know ;)

I'm also interested in undecorated windows, since I want to draw my own borders, title bar... I didn't find anything about this, is it possible? Will it ever be?

Use sf::Style::None when creating your window. It works in 1.6 as well.

I will probably use the spatialized sound module too. Is is really spatial?

Yes.

I mean, does it process the signals to simulate a 3d sound with two speakers? Is it only for multi-speaker systems (5.1, 8.1...)?

It works with any number of speakers (2 or more).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer