Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML and Windows 7 nightmare  (Read 1494 times)

Conoktra

• View Profile
SFML and Windows 7 nightmare
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:58:16 am »
Hello!  First of all I would like to say how great of a tool SFML is, I have thoroughly enjoyed using it.  Next, I am developing a 3D RTS game called Galactic Vice using SFML (screenshot).  I recently took upon me the task of porting Gv to windows 7, but encountered some rather strange issues.

Compiling Gv on windows XP 32-bit or ubuntu 64-bit it runs perfectly without flaw.  But, taking a (working) version compiled on XP doesn't even make it to main() on windows 7.  I then tried compiling Gv on windows 7--same result.  Next step, compile SFML and Gv on windows 7--same result.

The fact that Gv completely hangs before getting to main() suggested it was a problem with a dll, which was later comfirmed to be a deadlocked DLL by Application Verifier.  Gv only uses SFML, so only SFML or one of its dependencies can be causing this deadlock from DllMain (I suspect what is happening is illustrated right here).  I then tried compiling SFML and many of its sample apps on Windows 7 to help find the issue, but stopped when each of them happily returned -1 before making it to main().

Has anyone encountered problems like this?  Perhaps with SFML and windows 7?  If so, is there a fix?  For reference, I am using the latest version of Code::Blocks and the MinGW package provided by it on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks beforehand!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:49:27 am »
It's not a problem with Windows 7, but with ATI drivers > 10.10.

You can try static linking as a workaround.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Conoktra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:48 am »
Cool!  Switched to static linking at it worked.  Thanks Laurent! =)

anything