Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Visual Studio 2008 express, reference highlighting???  (Read 4189 times)

vro

• View Profile
Visual Studio 2008 express, reference highlighting???
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:51:43 pm »
I am new to VS and am used to code blocks or notepadd++ and what I really like about both of them is the reference highlighting (i think that's what it's called).

I really like being able to highlight an object/variable/etc and seeing all instances of it highlighted in the rest of the .cpp

Also these programs will highlight the opposite brace such as
{
}

Not that these features are needed but I find them very useful sometimes and I'm surprised these programs have them but VS doesn't?

Is there a free and express compatible add-on or plugin to get these features in VS 2008 or 2010 express?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »
I think the Express version can't even have add-ons. But paired parentheses should be highlighted by default (or it's at least configurable).

A commercial and quite nice add-on would be Visual Assist X.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

vro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:47 am »
it's pretty surprising that these features aren't standard in such an expensive and widely used IDE, am i wrong?

Relic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:23 am »
Also these programs will highlight the opposite brace such as
{
}

it's pretty surprising that these features aren't standard in such an expensive and widely used IDE, am i wrong?

At least in VS Pro+ brace matching is highlighted out of the box and may be configured. IIRC, in Express it is configurable as well. Something like: Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors->Brace Matching. In Express not all options are available by default but they may be turned on.

anything