Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Open Pandora and SFML  (Read 15091 times)

Gammenon

• View Profile
Open Pandora and SFML
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:51:30 pm »
Hi!

There is a discussion about SFML in Open Pandora forums:http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=41489

Open Pandora (http://openpandora.org/) will be a powerful portable console (about the size of a NDS) with 3D hardware, and would rock if SFML will be available to create games for it. The main problem is that SFML uses OpenGL, and Pandora uses OpenGL ES 2.0 (yes, it will have hardware accelerated vertex and pixel shaders). How much of a trouble is to convert OpenGL to OpenGL ES?

Thank you and keep with SFML!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:47:57 pm »
There is a discussion about SFML in Open Pandora forums:http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=41489

Yah, I follow it everyday ;)

How much of a trouble is to convert OpenGL to OpenGL ES?

I don't know, probably not much. However, someone started a few days ago to port SFML to OpenGL ES under WinCE (for portable devices). So I guess we'll soon get some feedback :)

I'd really love to try to port to OpenGL ES myself, but I'm not sure I would have something to test it (unless it can be tested on PC ?).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:13:21 pm »
I've just found / downloaded / installed /successfully tested the OpenGL ES 2.0 emulator from AMD. Looks like I'm gonna have fun :)

What about the windowing part on Open Pandora ? Which kind of Linux does it runs ? Is there a complete X server running on it ? Is it POSIX compliant ?

Gammenon

• View Profile
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:51:36 pm »
I think the best solution will be that you directly engage Craig or any other Pandora designer and ask him directly. I really hope that SFML will be available for Pandora. I love its simple and clean interface :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:20:21 am »
Ok. I'll first try to finish the OpenGL ES 2.0 port, and then see with the Open Pandora team for integration of SFML.

Gammenon

• View Profile
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:28:52 am »
Very well, Laurent. Thanks for your outstanding work :)

deps

• View Profile
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:17:58 pm »
You know what sucks? I saved up some money and ordered myself an GP2X about a year ago. Had tons of problems with the reseller, got almost no replies from them about my order and no sign of the product. After about three months and a filed police report for fraud, it arrived in my mailbox.

Soon after that, the F200 was announced.

... And then Pandora.  :lol:

Anyway, I hope the OpenGL ES port goes well. Would love to play around with it in the future, if I have a machine to run it on. (Doesn't some mobile phones support it? Would rock if I could play a SFML game on mine :))

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:52:50 pm »
Hehe :)

I'm finishing the renderer abstraction, and although I'm no longer working on the OpenGL ES implementation (will continue when I have more stuff to test), it almost works already. I just had some problems when using multiple contexts.

The main problem for the Pandora port right now is the windowing package and the system calls. I think the details are still not 100% clear on the Pandora dev team side, so I'll just wait for the first dev kit release.

I'll also have to work on the memory management, as such devices are much more limited than a desktop PC.

michelsteeve

• View Profile
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 08:51:57 am »
Hi
I felt it's an interesting project which has been started but then what happened?? As this is 2 year old thread there should some progress but noone has updated it. I would like to know was you got success in it or not?? And if got success then share the code with us.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:10:11 am »
Nothing happened since then, sorry.

WaveHack

• View Profile
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »
Sorry for bumping a year old topic, but I was wondering if you made any status since then? The OpenPandora is now actively being shipped worldwide with more than thousand of units delivered.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Open Pandora and SFML
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:23 pm »
No. The abstractions and changes that I need in both the public API and internal code, are a lot of work and are not in my plans for the near future.

anything