Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [SFML 2] I need your help for the ATI fix  (Read 14002 times)

devlin

• View Profile
[SFML 2] I need your help for the ATI fix
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:58 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
But at least I can go on now.

And everyone stood up and /cheered you on! :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:18 am »
Though the thing is, can't you put in more functionality into it somehow? Maybe like extract what graphics card is being used or something like that. Just having an object exist feels inappropriate. If some functionality like that is put into it then Environment would be a perfect fit also give it a more logical existence.

Could be confusing, people would focus on these members (because they are the only ones) and forget that the main purpose of the class is to create a valid graphics context.
Moreover, they wouldn't get these features with "regular", contexts created through sf::Window.

Just came up with a use of this, if you can get a hold of the drivers version number, you can do a check-up and look if the drivers are old and warn the end user to upgrade his drivers. League of Legends does that when you enter a new game.

Hum... Assuming that I leave the definition of "tool old" to the end user, and simply provide the version number, it's already quite difficult.
Maybe I can get something interesting with glGetString, but then it would probably require parsing the result according to the graphics card vendor.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 09:02:05 am »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Hum... Assuming that I leave the definition of "tool old" to the end user, and simply provide the version number, it's already quite difficult.
Maybe I can get something interesting with glGetString, but then it would probably require parsing the result according to the graphics card vendor.

I didn't expect more than that. I didn't expect you to parse it or decide what version number is old. That would be up to the end-user. Because let's say we have an application that is tested and works with version xx.yy.zz of the ATI drivers. Then we would say that anything lower than that is an "old" driver even though that version that we have as reference point is not the newest.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:47 am »
@Groogy: Sounds more like an extension rather than core functionality - to be honest.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 01:00:02 pm »
Might be so, I was just trying to come up with something that would fit.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio