Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: File System Support, Part II  (Read 9143 times)

Silvah

File System Support, Part II
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
Quote from: "Kolja"
In my experience bash has always been preferable to cmd.exe
Of course, bash is way better than cmd, in fact, everything is. But I'm not talking about cmd :P

Does Windows have something like grep/ack installed by now?
It doesn't, since there's no need for that: select-string is a PowerShell's builtin ;)

What bothers me more is the missing POSIX compliancy, as there are many really good tools for these.
Windows is not and does not try to be a *nix (Interix notwithstanding).

Kolja

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »
Interesting. Honestly didn't know about that.

But PowerShell doesn't look like the thing that will make my life easier on those machines I use that run Windows. Because it won't be installed. And I wouldn't have the rights to do so.
And I guess it doesn't help the fact that Windows simply wasn't built with a shell in mind. Or does it provide file-based access to settings instead of that abomination that calls itself registry? ;-)

But again, a matter of preference. You are happy with Windows and PS and I am happy with OS X and bash and can feel at home at every Unix and Linux that comes my way, so everything's fine. :-)

Silvah

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 03:31:44 pm »
And I guess it doesn't help the fact that Windows simply wasn't built with a shell in mind. Or does it provide file-based access to settings instead of that abomination that calls itself registry? ;-)
It does, kind of ;)

By the way...
You are happy with Windows and PS
No, I'm not. I think that Windows (or Mac OS, or BSD, or Linux, or anything for that matter) certainly can be far better than it is now.

Kolja

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »
Color me amazed.

After decades, Windows is catching up. Well, guess I'll have to learn using it at some point. From the comparisons I found bash looks a bit more concise, but the differences are minor, which is a good thing.

l0calh05t

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
Color me amazed.

After decades, Windows is catching up. Well, guess I'll have to learn using it at some point. From the comparisons I found bash looks a bit more concise, but the differences are minor, which is a good thing.

MS did a lot wrong with previous Windows versions, but Win7 is actually really good IMO

anything