Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 1.3 and OS X  (Read 47828 times)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 03:08:23 pm »
Hmmm... some troubles with the current SVN version. Because Laurent added a unicode support that is not working due to unimplemented parts in the C++ standard library (char_trait<unsigned char>).

I would say the last usable revision is 777.
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 02:02:37 pm »
Some news for you !

My 18th birthday took place last monday (August 18th). Great day for me, more stupid things I can do now :D .

Besides I got the new laptop (that I'm using), and therefore I will be able to provide universal binaries for Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5. For now I dunno whether I'll be able to do the same for Mac OS X 10.3 (much troubles with my first tries).

So... I updated the SVN repository where you can now find a project usable with Xcode 2.4 and later. I replaced the test program with a bundle application. You can also now put the SFML frameworks in your bundle application so that the user doesn't have to install them.

And finally, no more need to install freetype as I now use the static library provided by the previous Mac OS X developer (it didn't work with Mac OS X 10.3).

Edit: by the way, there does not seem to be anymore problem with char_traits, so the current SVN version is usable (for tries :P ).

quasius

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »
Congrats and thanks for the Mac port.

zarka

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:01 am »
excellent :) .. now i got something to entertain myself with during the weekend ;)
//Zzzarka

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 12:43:24 pm »
By the way... SFML-Application-template.zip, usable with Xcode 2.4 and later.

Unzip this and put the "SFML Application" folder in /Developer/Library/Xcode/Project Templates/Application. The SFML frameworks are supposed to be already installed in /Library/Frameworks.

And to use this in Xcode... New Project > Application > SFML Application.
Enjoy !

dorkfish

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 05:44:47 pm »
I'm really glad to hear this. Thanks so much for the work Ceylo. I have a question; will the DSFML binding link with the Mac port right now, or is there more work to be done to fix it?

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 07:01:36 pm »
Hmm... maybe it could be done right now, but I can't do it myself because I have no knowledge about the D language.

SirJulio

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »
Concerning DSFML, the binding relies on C++ SFML through the C interface, so if SFML Mac os port works, DSFML should work on Mac os.

Maybe i need to do some tweaks in the DSFML source code (for dll loading, or some other system stuffs), i see that with Ceylo in a couple of days. =)

dorkfish

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 12:58:20 am »
What I meant to ask is if linking is working right now. :p I know that it should work, I just wasn't sure if it WAS working. If nobody else has tried it, I'll see if I can get gdc built on my OS X install and work from there. Slightly off-topic, has anybody built gdc on Leopard recently? Or would it be better just to use the gdc 0.24 binaries, install xcode 2.4, etc. etc.?

Edit: I did some googling and came across this page: http://blog.hunch.se/archive/2008/04/28/tango-0996/ It's a (relatively) up-to-date release of gdc-svn and tango 0.99.6 for Mac OS X in a nice installer. I'm going to try it out later when I reboot back into OS X and see if DSFML will build.

dorkfish

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »
I took a look at CSFML and DSFML last night, and the first thing I can see that needs to be done is that Xcode projects need to be created for both. I just reinstalled MacOS and am downloading Xcode right now, so once that's all installed and configured, I'll see about creating those projects. Ceylo, do you have the SFML project set up to be able to create bare static or dynamic libraries, rather than frameworks? I think that having that ability might be useful. If not, I'll see about configuring the project to do so, or I may create a separate project file.

(I'm a newbie developer by the way, so I'm learning as I go along. Forgive me if I take longer than normal to do or figure out something. :p)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18:58 am »
I could make Xcode build bare libraries in order to build the binding... BUT I don't think doing so right now is a good idea because the C++ port is not complete, contains mistakes, maybe bugs... My opinion is you're wanting the things to go too fast, and that it's not yet time for a binding.

As an example, these are a few known issues :
 - closing all the SFML windows may leave your app blocked (no more event handling)
 - SFML windows cannot be used properly in Cocoa applications (just messing up everything in the run loop)
 - setting mouse position through SFML does not work
 - joysticks are not yet supported
 - MouseEntered and MousedExited events are not yet supported
 - fullscreen mode is not yet supported
 - there are missing keys (as an Apple keyboard does not have the same keys as an PC's one)
 - not all the keys (text events are not concerned) are language independant
 - using the '^' key and 'e' key produces an 'e' instead of 'ê' (same for other characters that need two keys)

And you really want to make a binding with this ? Okay, it doesn't stop my work being somewhat usable but... the SVN version is not supposed to be used yet, it's only for test and debug.

Now a little about me. I know I'm a bit slow at making the things progress. I haven't done much for the last few months, especially because I was a bit fed up of seeing users getting problems when I was seeing none. Now I've a new laptop but I also have to get ready for a move and college in exactly one week. So I'm a bit busy...

dorkfish

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:38 am »
I'm wanting to try it just to see if I can, really; I don't expect it to work just yet. This is just something fun to mess around with in my free time. :p I understand the whole college situation, too; I'm starting classes tomorrow and am about to see a significant amount of my free time suddenly vanish.

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 01:49:31 am »
Ok, I'll add a project for bare libraries (the original project for the frameworks is already a bit big).

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 07:21:29 pm »
The project to build bare libraries has been added to the SVN repository.
It only builds dynamic libraries for now, I'll add the static building later (a bit hungry :P ).

dorkfish

• View Profile
SFML 1.3 and OS X
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 01:28:27 am »
Awesome. :) I'll play around with it when I get home from class.

anything