Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Application gets slow/stuck  (Read 3276 times)

vicer1234

• View Profile
Application gets slow/stuck
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:30 am »
Hi,
     I am making a game with couple of level. each level is represented in terms of states, like we can push and pop each state.

Each level have common functions like
Initialise()->HandleEvents->Update()->Draw()

In one level i am having couple of sprite and I am using sfml functions like Sprite->Move(x,y)  etc to manipulate the entities.

In this level i tried to call function from my particle engine. In the particle engine i have tried to display the particle using opengl primitives. It will look like
Code: [Select]

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(90.f, 1.f, 1.f, 500.f);
std::list<Particle>::iterator iter;
for( iter = mL_Particle.begin(); iter != mL_Particle.end(); ++iter)
{
if((iter)->m_Energy > 0)
{
//if the particle is still alive, then draw
glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef((iter)->m_ParticlePosition.x, (iter)->m_ParticlePosition.y, -400.0f);
std::cout<<(iter)->m_ParticlePosition.y<<std::endl;
glRotatef((iter)->m_Angle,0,0,1);
//glScalef(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f);
glColor4ub((iter)->m_Color.r, (iter)->m_Color.g, (iter)->m_Color.b, (iter)->m_Color.a);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f(texCoords.Left,  texCoords.Top); glVertex2f(-halfWidth, -halfHeight);
glTexCoord2f(texCoords.Left,  texCoords.Bottom); glVertex2f(-halfWidth, halfHeight);
glTexCoord2f(texCoords.Right, texCoords.Bottom); glVertex2f(halfWidth, halfHeight);
glTexCoord2f(texCoords.Right, texCoords.Top); glVertex2f(halfWidth, -halfHeight);
glEnd();
glColor4ub(255, 255, 255, 255);
glPopMatrix();
}

}

Couple of problem is happening:
1) The positioning of the particle is not correct.Since in the particle case its using the Opengl co-ordinate with origin at centre of the screen.
2) It gets slow and frame rate decreases ..I dont know why this is happening...Is it because i am using one draw() for smfl related case and another draw() is getting called  for Opengl.????

Everything runs smooth and when i click a button to generate a particle effect it get slower and slower!!!!!

All suggestions are welcome

vicer1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:06 am »
'BUMP'

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:43 pm »
Please have some patience, don't bump when less than a day has passed. People are not always online to respond immediately.

Quote from: "vicer1234"
All suggestions are welcome
You have already told that in the other thread. There, I have given you a lot of advice, which you apparently ignore completely, e.g. std::list<Particle> or ++iter. So, I don't know whether suggestions are really welcome.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

vicer1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:31:23 pm »
Quote from: "Nexus"

You have already told that in the other thread. There, I have given you a lot of advice, which you apparently ignore completely, e.g. std::list<Particle> or ++iter. So, I don't know whether suggestions are really welcome.

I haven't ignored those , I have already made those changes in my Particle engine. Sorry for been less patient  :o

vicer1234

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:19 pm »
Does calling  the opengl primitives in between the sfml rendering ...causes any sort of performance issue?

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:19 pm »
Well if you use the *GLStates functions then yes. Though if it get's slower and slower it is more likely that it is because of memory leak or that you keep creating more and more particles without removing the old ones.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 11:00:49 pm »
Quote from: "Groogy"
Though if it get's slower and slower it is more likely that it is because of memory leak or that you keep creating more and more particles without removing the old ones.
That is one of the reasons why I suggested std::list<Particle> instead of std::list<Particle*> ;)

Quote from: "vicer1234"
I haven't ignored those , I have already made those changes in my Particle engine.
I just meant it because the code shown in the initial post did still use the old versions before your edit.

You should try to isolate the code which is responsible for the performance loss, i.e. don't mix everything at once, test the single features of your particle system. And avoid manual memory management wherever possible, it causes far more often trouble than even experienced programmers may think.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
Ah well it's a std::list? Linked list are pretty bad to iterate trough as cache misses are made for every step. I would consider using a std::vector that has a pre-allocated size(you should be able to calculate the maximum amount of particles that will be alive at the same time for this emittor) and use that instead.

It will change so that only one large allocation is done instead of several small ones and also like I said iteration will go smoother for the CPU.

Don't know if this is the culprit but just a recommendation.

UPDATE:
Code: [Select]
if((iter)->m_Energy > 0)

From this it looks like if you never ever remove your particles. You just skip them when they are dead. That is probably the reason why it slows down. The for-loop still iterates trough the dead particles.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

vicer1234

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »
I am making all the changes as stated and its showing little bit of improvement. I still analysing to see where to optimise the code.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »
I removed the second part of your post since you already opened a new topic for it. Please don't duplicate posts.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer