Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RenderWindow Not Displaying  (Read 3854 times)

esotericsean

• View Profile
    • http://seanduran.com
RenderWindow Not Displaying
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:22 pm »
I had SFML working perfectly, starting making a game, then I reformatted my computer and re-installed Code::Blocks and SFML and now I can't get it to work correctly.

I'm pretty sure I have it set up correctly. I can create a console window, but not a render window. It just seems to hang.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Fred_FS

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:48 am »
Are there any build errors or linker errors? Maybe you can show us some code.
Without any further information it's difficult to help you.

esotericsean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:14:39 am »
Seems to be all normal, but this is what I'm trying to run.

I've tried opening up my game as well and it's doing the same thing, so I'm 99% sure it's something wrong with my setup, installation, build options or something.

When I try to close the console window, it acts like it's going to hang and then (about 5-10 seconds later) finally closes.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:56:04 am »
Do other OpenGL applications work?

esotericsean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:12:07 am »
Hmm, seems like some things do:

But then again, when I try and run an older compiled .exe of the game I was working on, it doesn't run. Just hangs for a while and then the process disappears. (It does run on other computers)

Fred_FS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:31:17 am »
Maybe you should try to update your graphics card driver.
If you did somthing wrong your game would probably don't start at all, but give you some errors.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:00:39 am »
I guess you have an ATI card and got updated drivers after formatting your PC. SFML 1.6 doesn't work with Catalyst > 10.10.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

esotericsean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:14:45 am »
Yep, looks like that was it. When I reformatted, I actually switched from an NVIDIA to an ATI card (as well as a couple other upgrades). I downgraded to Catalyst 10.9 and it works!

I must have reinstalled SFML about 10 times trying to get this to work, making sure every file was in the exact place it was supposed to be. So glad it works now. :)

. . .

Does this mean apps written in SFML 1.6 won't run for anyone with an ATI card with the newest display drivers?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:30 am »
Does this mean apps written in SFML 1.6 won't run for anyone with an ATI card with the newest display drivers?

Yep. Unless ATI realize that they have a regression in their drivers and decide to fix it in a future version.

That's why I'm working hard on SFML 2 to release it as soon as possible.

axus

• View Profile
Same problem with May 2011 drivers
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:40:31 pm »
After Windows auto-updated my driver (OK I foolishly checked the box to allow it), my application hangs on the RenderWindow, as well as the sample application.  So, still not fixed by ATI :)

Here are instructions I found for uninstalling ATI drivers in Win7:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx#windows7

I still had to go to Device Manager, ATI properties, and click "Uninstall" to completely rid myself of the driver.  Have your old driver ready to install.

Here are older ATI drivers for Vista/Win7 64-bit.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

You can get them for other operating systems by searching for the current version, then clicking the small "Previous Drivers" link.

BorisDieKlinge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 11:08:10 pm »
@Laurent
Just out of curiosity, did you tell the guys at AMD about the problem? Maybe they aren't even aware of the problem.

Furthermore I fear that something like this could happen again. So maybe one day a team uses SFML for their project and after a update of catalyst nothing will work anymore.

Do you think this problem could repeat in the futer for sfml >= 2.0?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »
Just out of curiosity, did you tell the guys at AMD about the problem? Maybe they aren't even aware of the problem.

No I didn't... I should.

Furthermore I fear that something like this could happen again. So maybe one day a team uses SFML for their project and after a update of catalyst nothing will work anymore.

Do you think this problem could repeat in the futer for sfml >= 2.0 ?

That's why I prefer to fix it on my side, rather than continue to rely on the drivers behaviour, that I can't control. It would be different if my code was 100% clean... but it's not :)

anything