Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gore Factor SFML  (Read 20903 times)

easy

• MSN Messenger - easy82.contact@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »
This is really cool :D

But here's a question: how's the game coming? ;)

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:35 pm »
@ Easy: Indeed, I have spent more time teching it up rather than adding content :)
Now that I have the shadows, though, I need to get them to run fast enough so that a larger variety of computers can handle them.
However, after that, there really isn't much more I want to add to the game engine, so I should be getting to creating game content soon. I got my map editor, Flash for animations, and event-based lua scripting ready to go.
Have you heard about the new Cray super computer?  It’s so fast, it executes an infinite loop in 6 seconds.

keyforge

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 06:03:50 am »
That's not necessarily a bad thing though, now that you have all the tech out of the way you can focus on making great game content while having nice looking graphics and a good framework.
Need a place to upload your code, files or screenshots? Use SFML Uploads!

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:00 pm »

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:29 am »
Cool, I am honored! :)
Have you heard about the new Cray super computer?  It’s so fast, it executes an infinite loop in 6 seconds.

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »
I've chosen the image on the previous page, if it's okay?

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 04:10:08 pm »
Sure!

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »
Unfortunately I only could add it as a thumbnail on the profile image yet. :?
But I keep up posting to the IndieDB staff about the problem! ;)

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 04:36:48 am »
It is now time for Gore Factor to live up to its name!

You can now kill the zombies. So far, I only have the head shot "finisher", in which the zombie's head explodes.

I am posting it as a link, since it is kind of M rated now:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/222464/GoreFactorGoreScreenie1.png

More to come! When the finishers for the zombies are all finished I will upload the next version.

meissner61

• View Profile
    • Email
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 03:04:02 am »
Is this really using vectors as the assets? Thats kind of cool, can you talk me through why you chose that? The only bonus i see to using vectors is you can zoom in and out with no blur

EDIT: NVM i see it uses png's my bad

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »
@meissner61: To clarify, the animation system interpolates certain key frames to get coordinates for sprites and other things such as depth, scale, alpha, and rotation. The sprites are then transformed according to these values, but the sprite itself is just a .png, not a vector image. I called this "vector animation" since it is similar to the motion tween feature in Flash. With it you can create smooth animations that don't look choppy when slowed down (useful for the slow motion feature). In addition, they use way, way less memory than sprite animations. The downside is that they are harder to animate and may run slower depending on the complexity of the animation.

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »
Ah, I just couldn't resist adding more tech. This time, it has to do with AI.

Most side scrollers have either very simple AI or some scripted stuff. However, I am trying to use neural nets instead. I already wrote a training program, but discovered that back propagation is too slow, and will therefore switch to genetic algorithms. I should have a demo soon. I am using simple feed forward neural networks, whose input is the direction it must travel as well as a sort of picture of the tile map around it. I hope they will learn to jump over platforms and other obstacles, something you cannot do with just path finding.

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:49 pm »
Update: Add new items. Swap weapons with the scroll wheel. The game now has HE grenades which show off the physics and particles, and a Glock-19, my favorite weapon in the game now (the animations worked out better for me this time!).
Right now, I am using some A* pathfinding instead of neural nets. My training method has only had limited success. Unless I get the neural nets to work, I will stick to A*.

keyforge

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:15 pm »
I tried out your new version and it's very good! Your scroll wheel switching is really buggy on my mouse. I have to screw around with the wheel a lot to get it to switch to a weapon which seems to choose a random weapon. Great work!
Need a place to upload your code, files or screenshots? Use SFML Uploads!

lolz123

• View Profile
Gore Factor SFML
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I think I allow players to choose weapons with the number keys as well. In addition, the weapons list will be shown at the top of the screen in a fashion similar to Half-Life 2. This should make weapon selection a lot easier.

anything