Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Source quality  (Read 4405 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Source quality
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »
Hi,

I am currently porting articles from the old to the new wiki. And especially at source codes, I see a problem: Some codes are badly documented, contain severe mistakes or suffer from being unmaintained.

Of course, the idea behind the wiki is that everyone can improve it, but applied to C++ code, this can be complicated. You never know whether the author likes it if his code is changed because the original intention may be distorted, the licenses are not always clear, and different users have different views concerning good code.

Since we have currently the opportunity to form the new wiki, I suggest to wait with porting articles of this kind, and inform the authors to allow them improving their articles. The navigation for wiki users (especially beginners) becomes easier if they don't have to face a huge mess of codes that are once written and never looked at again. Besides, the really good articles don't get lost like this.

What do you think? And how should this be handled in the future?
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

xazax

Source quality
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:08 pm »
I think if the authors don't want their code to be modified, they wouldn't post it on a wiki.

In my opinion:
* Do the modifications to the code and also give the credits to the author for the original code.
* Add the original code to another wiki page
* Add a reference to the modified code like: the original verison is here: link

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Source quality
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:30:15 pm »
The wiki is meant to be improved by everyone, so unless a license is clearly specified and disallow modifications (in this case please report it to me, because this is clearly incompatible with the wiki) go ahead and edit whatever you want.

I think if the authors don't want their code to be modified, they wouldn't post it on a wiki.

100% true (if the new code is not worse, of course).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Source quality
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:59 pm »
Okay.

By the way, if anyone of the SFML users has 10 minutes free time: Don't hesitate to port old articles, too :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: