Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tanktris - a Tetris clone [RC2 & Sourcecode released]  (Read 26155 times)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
Tanktris - a Tetris clone [RC2 & Sourcecode released]
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:34:13 am »
Hello,

I've written a small Tetris clone called "Tanktris" for university using SFML, which is indeed a very great library.

The game texts are in German, but I think the most things are self-explanatory. To start a new game in the menu, choose "Neues Spiel".
All sound effects and musics are CC-licensed, the graphics were done by a good friend of mine. It took me about 20 hours to finish the game.

I hope you like the game, feedback is always appreciated.

Xylankant

• View Profile
    • http://xylankant.xy.funpic.de
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:01:31 pm »
Impressive! I never knew 20hrs of work could result in something like this :)
And it works very well, too ^^

Great for v1.0, congratz and thank you!

Only thing I'd like to be added is a Volume-Control and a key that drops a block immediately *gg*

P.S.: How about a tutorial? ;)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:34:36 pm »
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Well, I hope I'm right with 20 hrs -- don't blame me if I needed more. ;)

Yes, I originally had the idea of providing at least a volume control for the music (to turn it off for example, if it's getting annoying after a while), and I'm still unhappy with the fact, that there's still the disabled "Options" menu entry. So I guess it's more a version 1.0 RC than final 1.0.

Your idea for dropping the blocks immediately by pressing a key is now on my Todo list, thanks for that. I think that'll speed up the gameplay a lot.

What do you mean by a tutorial? Describing how to write a Tetris-like game with SFML? I kinda thought about this some days before by myself, since I'm so thankful that Laurent wrote such a great library, that I want to give something back to him and of course to the community in general.
But I got a better idea. ;) I have started to develop a library called "SFMLGame", which will provide useful mechanisms for programming games, like I used them in my Tetris game. This library will be built on top of SFML. When getting to a usable state of development, I hope to make Tanktris available as some kind of tutorial project for SFMLGame. My primary plans for SFMLGame are to provide the developer with common classes like menus, automated animations, config/savegame loaders and writers etc. But this is still heavily in the pipeline and needs a lot of time and work to accomplish.

Oops, a lot of "Blah blah" in my posting not really thread-related. ;) Again, thanks for your motivating and constructive feedback. I thing I'll implement both of your ideas.

Greets

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:52:50 pm »
Wow, very good job, I'm impressed :)

If you want you can add it to the Projects category on the wiki, so that binaries and sources will be available to other people.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:19:35 pm »
Thank you. :) I've added it to the wiki (http://www.sfml-dev.org/wiki/en/projects) and hope, that the "long form" is okay.

dabo

• View Profile
    • http://www.dabostudios.net
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »
Nice game, the blocks are really starting to fall quickly after a while, I thought I had everything under control and then 1 minute later "Game Over" :D

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:29:17 pm »
Quote from: "Tank"
Thank you. :) I've added it to the wiki (http://www.sfml-dev.org/wiki/en/projects) and hope, that the "long form" is okay.

It's ok, but you should have created a new page; the Projects page is just the index ;)

I did it for you.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Xylankant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 02:10:58 pm »
What do you mean by a tutorial? Describing how to write a Tetris-like game with SFML?
exactly :)
But I got a better idea. ;) I have started to develop a library called "SFMLGame", which will provide useful mechanisms for programming games, like I used them in my Tetris game.
But that sound's great, as well :D

However, it'd be kind of "teaching", having a tutorial that explains the steps in building a Tetris-like game "from bottom to top" using SFML rather than providing another library on top of SFML (which is a good idea nevertheless, in my oppinion!)

Well, back2topic ^^

I just realized the speed in TankTris is increasing by time rather than by cleared lines. Interesting new concept for a Tetris, indeed!

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 04:13:13 pm »
Quote from: "dabo"
Nice game, the blocks are really starting to fall quickly after a while, I thought I had everything under control and then 1 minute later "Game Over" :D

Hehe. Do you think the difficulty is too high? I did some balancing before and decided to make Tanktris a "quick game". This of course results in fast game overs.

@Laurent:
Thanks for moving the Wiki article.

I just realized the speed in TankTris is increasing by time rather than by cleared lines. Interesting new concept for a Tetris, indeed!

Yes exactly. ;) My plan was to make the game more "hectic", so I chose to do level-ups depending on time, instead of score/lines. So a good strategy is to build a huge "tower" in the first levels and throw in the line blocks (4x1) in higher levels, because you get a lot more points then. Anybody broke my highscore of 126000, yet? ;)

dabo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »
Quote from: "dabo"

Hehe. Do you think the difficulty is too high? I did some balancing before and decided to make Tanktris a "quick game". This of course results in fast game overs.

No I think it's good the way it is, I just wasn't ready for it, next time I am.

Xylankant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:47:54 pm »
Anybody broke my highscore of 126000, yet? ;)
Just got 134800 :D

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:45:49 pm »
Beat this one:
Highscore

To be honest: I'm playing with the implemented "drop block" feature, which makes getting points a lot faster. :)

Xylankant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 07:48:34 pm »
lolz..."cheated" out by developer ;)

But yes, I imagined this new feature to make making points faster *g*

...Operation gelungen, Patient tot ;) (sry, don't know an english expression for that)

dabo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »
Quote from: "Xylankant"
lolz..."cheated" out by developer ;)

There's a reason I always have the top score for my games :D

Mindiell

• ICQ Messenger - 41484135
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
There is my highscore

And I did not use a "drop block" feature... I just played... with an hex editor  :oops:

Therefore, your game is very sympathic :)
Mindiell
----

anything