Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New to this - VS 2010?  (Read 2059 times)

Robinson

• AOL Instant Messenger - 49+Longchamp+Dri
    • View Profile
New to this - VS 2010?
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:36:29 pm »
Just discovered this library and it looks very useful.  I'm running VS 2010 at the moment and tried to use 1.6 but although the libs compiled, the sample apps failed miserably!  To be expected I guess as from reading the forum the two are incompatible.

I made my own sample, linking with the libraries I'd built (console app) and it seemed to hang the application, so no go with 1.6 and 2010 I guess.

I'm not sure I want to go through the pain of command-line building with the current 2.0 version, so my question is simply is there a release date for 2.0, including .sln for VS 2010?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
New to this - VS 2010?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »
I made my own sample, linking with the libraries I'd built (console app) and it seemed to hang the application, so no go with 1.6 and 2010 I guess.

I'd rather say no go with 1.6 and ATI. Static linking should solve your problem.

I'm not sure I want to go through the pain of command-line building with the current 2.0 version

There's no "command-line" building if you don't want it. You can use a graphical front-end to CMake, and then generate projects for your favorite EDI instead of makefiles.
Read the tutorial ;)

so my question is simply is there a release date for 2.0

There's no release date, SFML 2.0 will be released when it's ready.
It's not a commercial product so why should I choose an arbitrary release date that will most likely not be met?
All I can tell you is that I'm working hard to release it soon -- hopefully before the end of the year.

including .sln for VS 2010?

There will be nothing else distributed than CMake makefiles, since from them one can generate everything else -- that's the point of using CMake ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Robinson

• View Profile
New to this - VS 2010?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:20:16 pm »
Oh sure I understand that.  I'll have a play with static linking and CMAKE on the 2.0 build later on.  I guess it's something I won't have to do often :p.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
New to this - VS 2010?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »
I guess it's something I won't have to do often

You'll have to play with CMake exactly once -- makefiles/projects are updated automatically once they are created ;)

And note that you won't need static linking if you use SFML 2 (the bug is fixed there).

Robinson

• View Profile
New to this - VS 2010?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »
Ok, I managed to build it ok after playing with CMake, and I could get the opengl demo to load, but I do get an access violation when the program is closed (inside of Visual Studio, it's ignored when I run it outside of the development environment).

"Unhandled exception at 0x690974c4 in opengl-d.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000008."

Here's a screenshot, showing the call stack and where it breaks:

http://i56.tinypic.com/zmhbat.jpg

Problem with ATI drivers, perhaps?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
New to this - VS 2010?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:51:05 pm »
Yep, that's a known bug involving ATI drivers.

anything