Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Shaders don't work when running as a screensaver  (Read 2045 times)

aeron

• MSN Messenger - aeron005@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://aeron.uni.cc/
Shaders don't work when running as a screensaver
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:42:03 pm »
I'm writing a screensaver using SFML 2.0, however I am running into some problems with shaders.

I should state that I haven't written a "formal" windows api screensaver, I am using the normal main and only renaming the screensaver from .exe to .scr while I am testing. This is legal and in fact works in setting up the display/drawing, but for some reason shaders fail to work.

At first I thought there might have been a problem with the execution directory but even when hard-coding the shader location it was failing. After some debugging I discovered SFML was simply unable to use shaders when the extension was changed to .scr.

Also, slightly off-topic, but has anyone had any success with screensavers in SFML in the past? Did you use <screensaver.h> and go through the "proper" windows protocol? I'm trying to decide if I should even bother with the winapi or just stick with main and command line switches. I also can't decide if I really need SFML or not... I'm really only using it to get an opengl context and load the fragment shaders which could easily be done the old-fashioned way.

anything