Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A new logo for SFML  (Read 309243 times)

Haikarainen

A new logo for SFML
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2011, 02:23:58 pm »
Final version eh ;) To be honest the current logo fits best in with the site, maybe a whole site renewal could be in place? I could help out with that.

But to the point. My final logo;

The same one as posted earlier; https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/47

Used in site (With 16x16 icon), Few mods to fit in with current site design; https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/cache/pics/178_preview.png Please open in new tab, huge picture.

It was hard to fit SFML with outlined text(black on black is not a good combo) and all so i just took "sf" from the namespace. On the Icon that is. Could create 32x32 and 64x64 icons as well.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »
To be honest the current logo fits best in with the site, maybe a whole site renewal could be in place? I could help out with that.

I know. I wish I add time to do that, but... I don't :)
And I don't want to completely leave it to an external contributor, I'd like to keep control on the website's code (both HTML and CSS). But I'm open if you want to discuss it further, we can open a thread in the "Website" section.

Used in site (With 16x16 icon), Few mods to fit in with current site design

I totally love it :shock:

Maybe the "2" should be removed, I don't want the version to be part of the library name. Then the green color could move to the SF (or ML) letters. What do you think?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Haikarainen

A new logo for SFML
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"

I know. I wish I add time to do that, but... I don't :)
And I don't want to completely leave it to an external contributor, I'd like to keep control on the website's code (both HTML and CSS). But I'm open if you want to discuss it further, we can open a thread in the "Website" section.

Allright, that is totally understandable. Though, if something like that would happen, I would ofcourse provide a powerful backend with a flexible frontend. Btw my designskills reach out further than sfmluploads, made that strictly for it to actually work and didnt put focus on design, just thought you would know :P

I totally love it :shock:

Maybe the "2" should be removed, I don't want the version to be part of the library name. Then the green color could move to the SF (or ML) letters. What do you think?

Thank you :)

Here it is without the "2": https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/cache/pics/179_preview2.png

Regarding the green, do you mean on the icon? I tried it and tbh it looks messier. https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/cache/pics/180_previewgreenico.png

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2011, 04:25:20 pm »
Regarding the green, do you mean on the icon?

No, the website logo. Without the "2" it becomes pure white and gray, it lacks some color.

Haikarainen

A new logo for SFML
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2011, 04:44:41 pm »
Regarding the green, do you mean on the icon?

No, the website logo. Without the "2" it becomes pure white and gray, it lacks some color.

Hmm, this was a tough one, never really worked with green+blue+white as a colorscheme before, had to make some changes to make it fit in.

Heres the outcome; https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/cache/pics/181_preview3.png

In my opinion, a blue+white colorscheme would be way more clean. In my eyes the previous(white text on blue bg) really fits in, and isnt gray at all since the bg is blue.

EDIT; Btw, i tried mixing white and green a lot, didnt really come out nice at all :/

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »
Hmm ok you're right, the green text is a little bit too much.

The white + blue logo is cleaner, but now I feel like the banner and main menu need an update. Do you think it would be worth working on them, but without changing the whole website?

Haikarainen

A new logo for SFML
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:06 pm »
Hmm ok you're right, the green text is a little bit too much.

The white + blue logo is cleaner, but now I feel like the banner and main menu need an update. Do you think it would be worth working on them, but without changing the whole website?

Hmm.. That might work with some extra css tweaking to make everything else fit. If not I could just create a whole new design and still maintain your php layout?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2011, 12:04:57 pm »
You should also center the "SFML" text. The L is outside of the gear, while the S begins only some pixels after the left gear border. Apart from that, I think the gray version without the "2" looks good for the website.

Concerning the green index on the left, it might look already quite different with some borders/shadowing in the green rounded rectangle and the white font.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2011, 03:05:20 pm »
Hmm.. That might work with some extra css tweaking to make everything else fit. If not I could just create a whole new design and still maintain your php layout?

Why not. I think we should talk about it, by e-mail for example.

Haikarainen

A new logo for SFML
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »

Why not. I think we should talk about it, by e-mail for example.

Allright, my preferred mail is Fredrik@Haikarainen.se

Neomex

• View Profile
    • Email
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:41 pm »
Quote from: "Haikarainen"
Final version eh ;) To be honest the current logo

+1 for this one ( can be without '2' )

However, if you don't plan to change site design too much, I'd stay with the old one  :)

V0idExp

• ICQ Messenger - 251952950
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.v0idexp.net
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2012, 11:45:56 am »
Like the gears, but don't like device icons at all.
Haikarainen version is beautiful, but does not resemble the concept of SIMPLE and FAST. And at first look, the impression is that we're talking about a complete engine, not a SIMPLE (!) library.

Another minus is that device icons aren't original. It's a drawback, as for me, and the first time I went on SFML website, I instantly noticed that icons are "stolen", even if they are in public domain. This kind of "theft" is ok when someone is customizing his desktop with a icon theme, but it's not acceptable for a logo, in my opinion, which has to resemble the project it represents.

Look at Qt toolkit. It is by far more complex and provides a huge functionality, think how many icons could they put in their logo... But they've chosen a simple green icon, and it is clear as the library itself. And if miniaturized, it still looks nice.

Like a lot Cuban-Pete, Brendon, jmglez and Cpl.Bator styles, as for me, they have to work a little more on their ideas...
No life 'til leather!

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2012, 06:36:54 pm »
Quote from: "jmglez"

+1! That one's really interesting (S simple, F fast, nice idea!).

Even the text only would be enough (I don't like those icons at all), maybe with a rounded rect or something behind it.

bastien

• View Profile
    • http://bastien-leonard.alwaysdata.net
A new logo for SFML
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:41 am »
These are my favorites:

Quote from: "Cuban-Pete"
Hmm, not so keen on it, but wasted some time on it, so here it is:

//edit: hehe, makes me think: soccer time! or time for Grolsch Beer  :D

The “circle” a bit bulky in my opinion, it distracts from the text.

Quote from: "PointyStick"
A revision, this time with the correct text.

Really clean, but it needs a nicer font in my opinion.

Quote from: "Brendon"
Here's my attempt at the SFML logo!

Really nice!
Check out pysfml-cython, an up to date Python 2/3 binding for SFML 2: https://github.com/bastienleonard/pysfml-cython

eigenbom

• View Profile
Re: A new logo for SFML
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2013, 07:15:06 am »
As we are nearing the SFML 2 release, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. :) I'm no artist, but here are some logos I drew today: