Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A new logo for SFML  (Read 309154 times)

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A new logo for SFML
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2013, 08:43:56 pm »
This topic is an open discussion, I'm in no hurry to make a decision ;)
Yeah.. (mine italicemphasis)
I'm following this topic closely and daily tell friend of mine about the (lack of) progress in choosing logo.
him: hey, after we no longer know each other
him: in like 10 years or so
him: and they finally
FlamingRex: lol
him: make this logo
him: then drop me a mail or something, ok?
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

krzat

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2013, 08:44:07 pm »
Another one:

Inkscape file available on request.
SFML.Utils - useful extensions for SFML.Net

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:01 pm »
Cool stuff from everyone!

Here's a few more, emphasizing the pentagon shape:

1 (straight shine):

2 (round shine):

3 (flat with a slight drop shadow):

Also, for those concerned about the Geometry font, if Laurent chooses it as the font but is still worried about the license, I can make an "SFML" that doesn't use the Geometry font but still has the look/feel (after all, the font is just simple lines with round joints/caps).

Laurent, what kind of experiments would you like to see?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »
I really like the first and second ones. The pentagon background is a good idea :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2013, 10:21:47 pm »
+1 for number 2.

I really like how everybody's pushing this forward. A lot of small ideas from several people are being baked into a new logo. :)

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »
4 (with a symbol that has rounded caps):

5 (the pentagon is a bit rounder and has a higher contrast):

krzat

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:32 pm »
Pentagon background version:
SFML.Utils - useful extensions for SFML.Net

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:52 pm »
And light versions:

6:

7:

I feel like this pentagon might be too round...

edit:

Here are some less round light versions:

8:

9:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:03:04 am by Cornstalks »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:52 pm »
Version 4 looks best in my opinion. I also find the pentagon too round at the others. Generally, I like the green background, but I don't know if it might be too much... Probably depends on where the logo is placed.

Also, thanks for clarifying the license issue. Just from reading the license file, it was really confusing (and that's usually the relevant part, not some FAQ on the homepage). I'm glad we can still use that font :)

In case you want a text "simple & fast multimedia library", you could still have a look at my PDFs and tell if there are fonts pleasing you.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #384 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:44 am »
Version 4 looks best in my opinion. I also find the pentagon too round at the others. Generally, I like the green background, but I don't know if it might be too much... Probably depends on where the logo is placed.
Yeah, I'm kinda worried that the green power symbol might not work on the green banner of the website, but Laurent said he wanted to focus on making a logo that looks good alone, and then integrate it into the website, so I figure that if the logo is green the website will be modified as needed.

Also, thanks for clarifying the license issue. Just from reading the license file, it was really confusing (and that's usually the relevant part, not some FAQ on the homepage). I'm glad we can still use that font :)
Heh, when I see lawyer-speak my brain usually just shuts down.

In case you want a text "simple & fast multimedia library", you could still have a look at my PDFs and tell if there are fonts pleasing you.
Yeah, I'll have to go through it and play with some!

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: April 17, 2013, 02:10:17 am »
Can we get a little blue in there.. just a suggestion  ;)

-edit-

I'm going to be honest. I don't really like the symbol thing we have going on here. I feel that what represents SFML should either be an image where the focus is on the name "SFML" or just a symbol alone, without any text. The symbol seems to take all the attention in the graphic and doesn't really say what the project is about. In my opinion, such a generic symbol used for this project could send the wrong idea to new comers, because well to me honestly.. it looks childish. I'm not saying we don't have talent in this thread. We have that abundantly, I just don't like the "power button" idea. Maybe another symbol; one that at least has some relevance to what SFML actually does?

Why not include the name like the old logo. Use icons that don't take attention away from the title?
Or perhaps do as I said above and use a graphic that represents SFML better that way you can drop the name in the new logo.

definitely only two cents worth..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:03:53 am by Ricky »
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #386 on: April 17, 2013, 04:17:08 am »
I'm going to be honest. I don't really like the symbol thing we have going on here.
First, I want to say I like the honest criticism!

I feel that what represents SFML should either be an image where the focus is on the name "SFML" or just a symbol alone, without any text.
I think it's ideal to have "SFML" in the logo (in any of the suggestions, power symbol or not). The way I'm imagining this power symbol though, "SFML" would never be divorced from the power symbol. They'd always be together.

The symbol seems to take all the attention in the graphic and doesn't really say what the project is about.
I agree that it's not very descriptive of SFML, but to be honest, I've had a really hard time coming up with anything that really describes or properly represents SFML and its beating heart. I mean, how do you really represent and symbolize a "simple, fast, multimedia library?" I honestly don't think there's anything that truly, fully captures, represents, and symbolizes a "simple, fast, multimedia library." If there was a good one, I'd love to see it, but I certainly can't think of anything specific.

The current logo tries to say what the project is about, and, with all respect to Laurent, it does a pretty bad job. Yes, it shows things that are relevant to SFML (speaker for audio, input devices, a clapperboard for video (despite SFML not handling video)), but it's cluttered, non-unifying, "busy," etc. I'll post more of my thoughts about this at the end of this post.

In my opinion, such a generic symbol used for this project could send the wrong idea to new comers, because well to me honestly.. it looks childish.
Fair criticism. Can I ask what makes it look childish? I figure if there's something specific, it can either be fixed, or if it can't be fixed, at least other logos can know how to avoid the childishness.

I'm not saying we don't have talent in this thread. We have that abundantly, I just don't like the "power button" idea. Maybe another symbol; one that at least has some relevance to what SFML actually does?
Any ideas? It's easy to say that, and I've said that myself, but then I've found it incredibly difficult to find something wholly relevant and specific to SFML.

Why not include the name like the old logo.
Again, I've never imagined the power symbol being used without "SFML" right by it. But if there's a good way to "cement" them together, suggestions are welcome ;)

Use icons that don't take attention away from the title?
Do you feel like it takes away from "SFML" because it's visually distracting, or because it's symbolically distracting? Kind of a weird question... I'm not sure how to word it better, sorry.

definitely only two cents worth..
Nah, I'd say your honest review is worth more than two cents.

Here are my thoughts on logos and SFML:
  • Personally, I don't think we should hold on to the old logo. At all. If the final logo has some similarity to the old logo, fine, but I don't think any effort should be made to actively try and make the new logo have any similarities to the old logo.
  • I like Haze's logo, but honestly I don't like ellipses in logos. It's an overused motif. Unless the logo is for a product/company/thing that has to do with planet or electron orbits, or the ellipses are used in incredibly creative ways, I feel like ellipses just detract from any kind of "identity" a logo is supposed to create in the first place.
  • The new logo should be simple and distinct. Don't forget the "S" in "SFML." Many of the early (~2011) contributions were far from "simple."
  • If you can think of a good thing that properly symbolizes, "captures," or is particularly relevant to SFML, use it! (I've found this to be quite hard)
  • It should work in a single color (or grayscale) (I'm not saying it should be only one color or grayscale, but I am saying that if you made it one color or grayscale, it should still be visible and look good)
  • I swear I had a ton of other thoughts on this... I'll update this if I think of any others

As much as I'd like to get Andrew Kim or some other awesome designer to create the logo, I don't think we'll get anyone quite like him  :(

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: April 17, 2013, 04:52:44 am »
First, I want to say I like the honest criticism!

And a +1 to you, with the speedy and thought provoking reply! :) It sure made me think!

And this is what I thought about.

You are absolutely right. It is going to be extremely difficult to find something that captures all of what SFML is and does without cluttering the logo. This should be avoided at all costs as logos should be straight forward and even slightly minimalist.

The reason I said the power symbol may appear childish is because it's a bit played out and cliche used in a logo. Just like you said with the ellipse, power symbols are used far too much in logos and banners, but specifically by those from a more immature and irrelevant background than ourselves. It's too vague and overused to have any lasting impact on viewers. I know it will be difficult to come up with something but I suggest we not invest ourselves too much in the "power" logo and iterations of it and perhaps try different shapes all together to see how they fly.

We should establish color schemes and shape themes to help designers focus their efforts on making something that reads closer to what SFML actually is. Laurent can help with this specifically. He hasn't stated clearly what he is looking for and it makes designing a logo like shooting in the dark.

I'm going to personally start experimenting with different colors and shapes to find something that would (if not) capture SFML better, at least be more original.

Thanks again for the reply :) I know how hard it can be to take criticism on something one is passionate about. Thanks for being open.
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #388 on: April 17, 2013, 05:07:44 am »
I'm going to personally start experimenting with different colors and shapes to find something that would (if not) capture SFML better, at least be more original.
Cool, I look forward to seeing what you've got.

Thanks again for the reply :) I know how hard it can be to take criticism on something one is passionate about. Thanks for being open.
I'm not overly attached to any of my ideas  :D  I think we've hashed out enough iterations of the power symbol that Laurent can can narrow them down. I'll play with the good old paper and pencil and see if I can think of anything new.

Laurent, any directions or narrowing down that you can do would be quite helpful. We're gonna hit this thread's two year anniversary before long...

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:43 am »
As mentioned earlier, something "simple and fast" would be an arrow (or multiple arrows). A rocket would also be a possibility, but it's not necessarily simple ;)

If you liked that symbol more, we could exploit the insights from the latest creations and try something new with it...
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: