Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A new logo for SFML  (Read 308684 times)

kloffy

• View Profile
Re: A new logo for SFML
« Reply #495 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »
I thought Waylorn's concept deserved to be given a serious try. I've incorporated it with Cornstalks' font.

Full disclosure: I used the bird from the Hollister logo for reference. The similarity might be a problem...

[attachment deleted by admin]

cire

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 23, 2013, 08:10:44 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the wavy arrow.  To me, it looks like SFML printed over a road, path or ribbon with the arrow indicating the direction it should be traveled or (in the case of the ribbon) pulled.

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:14 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I'd just like to clarify and apologize.

First the clarification. I never meant to get the whole logo designing process off track. I just wanted to mix in some fresh ideas. I did not mean to belittle the hard work of any of the talented artists here. This especially goes out to Cornstalks, whom accepted my critic on his logo, which had the quality of a professionally created graphic, while my own were always rough concepts not nearly as ready to be used as an logo. Neither were they meant to, I posted simply ideas. I wanted the exploration of different ideas. I felt that the community was cementing around a logo I thought wrongly presented SFML. I now feel different about this. A logo does not have to have anything in common with what it represents. That is the point of a logo.

I apologize if I came off as "the guy" that criticizes people's hard work and does not even put the time into his own. I would have liked to produce some quality logos for SFML but I just don't have the time. I know some of the more older members have their posts directed towards me, apparently blaming me for potentially delaying the release of SFML but Laurent did state many times that the packages were not ready so I wasn't really delaying the release by requesting the exploration of new ideas. I do not regret any of the new ideas that were explored because of me shaking up the stagnant waters of this thread. I do, however extend my apologies to those it frustrated and upset. Sorry.

Also I have a modification in mind for Cornstalks logo... to give it a more unique look. I'm just an idea guy after all.
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »
I've no idea, how you got the idea, that mine/our critic was aimed at you. :o
It was a general statement, seeing how we still didn't have a fixed deadline (now we do) and how the ideas started to spread in all directions again. And form my side I also wanted to point out, that I'm not fond of the mascot-idea. So again nothing was directed at you and thus you don't have to apologize to anyone. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
« Reply #500 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:42 pm »
I've no idea, how you got the idea, that mine/our critic was aimed at you. :o
It was a general statement, seeing how we still didn't have a fixed deadline (now we do) and how the ideas started to spread in all directions again. And form my side I also wanted to point out, that I'm not fond of the mascot-idea. So again nothing was directed at you and thus you don't have to apologize to anyone. ;)

You know the saying "if the hat fits, wear it". I only apologized because I wanted to and because your post made me want to. Even though your post wasn't directed towards me I still wanted to apologize because I realized I was acting selfish and like an ass. It's easy to take an idea someone has worked days on and throw it out the window because you had nothing invested in it. I'll be more sensitive to this in the future.
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:59 pm »
And form my side I also wanted to point out, that I'm not fond of the mascot-idea.

I agree with you. The idea of a mascot seems kind of silly.
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2013, 03:24:37 am »
And form my side I also wanted to point out, that I'm not fond of the mascot-idea.

I agree with you. The idea of a mascot seems kind of silly.

Many projects have mascots and they have made it work well for them. Never the less.. my iteration.

-edit- SVG TOO BIG

Cornstalks do you mind trying out a different style of wedge? maybe something like what I have. I don't have the skill with vector graphics so I just hacked it in there.

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2013, 04:58:48 am »
Quote from: Haze
The logo is a bit asymmetric: The distances begin-middle and middle-end of the arrow are different, thus the middle is offset to the left, even in spite of the wider letter "M". Also, in my opinion the arrow color is too "boring".

The asymmetry gives the illusion that the arrow is travelling to the right. Although I don't like that kink in the middle. Nevertheless, compare the that logo with the pentagon one, the arrow one feels like its moving, to me at least. The arrow colour can be changed, but as I've said previously we should be talking about the actual design, and not about the colours or shading.

I think Ricky's latest edit makes the power symbol a bit more interesting, but I still think the logo is not that memorable or meaningful. What about a power symbol means "simple" "fast" "media" or "library"? The idea that SFML "gives you power" is a bit far fetched and generic, every library can be said to do that.

But despite all this, I still think we've got better logos than the direct competitor, SDL. :)

Also, I really love Haxe's logo...

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2013, 06:17:01 am »
That looks very good -- well-integrated and interesting :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2013, 07:55:19 am »
That looks very good -- well-integrated and interesting :)

I second that. It's the piece I've missed for saying "Yes, NOW it fits!" ;) Other than eigenbom I find the logo very memorable. I haven't seen such a logo somewhere else yet, and its shape is quite unique. The logo can be also used as a smaller icon without problems.

It would be nice to see the logo integrated into the website.

The idea that SFML "gives you power" is a bit far fetched and generic, every library can be said to do that.
I interpret the logo as "Powered by (SFML's) five modules".

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #506 on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:34 am »
I just want to leave a note before I sleep that I'll create an SVG of Ricky's idea tomorrow, as well as try and play around with some variations and alternatives. But for now, I'm sleeping :)

Ricky, great idea!

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
Alright, so here are some alternatives. One version combines the arrow idea with the power symbol (in both round and square edges), and the other version is a vectorized version of Ricky's idea. All of these are on the brighter green background, and I've included a couple of drop shadow variations.

1, no shadow:

1, sharp shadow:

1, softer shadow:

2, no shadow:

2, sharp shadow:

2, softer shadow:

3, no shadow:

3, sharp shadow:

3, softer shadow:

imgur album

Again, colors, effects (i.e. shadows), widths, gaps, etc. can always be tweaked. Let me know if you have any feedback! Also, feel free to experiment with these things. If anyone wants any SVGs or high-res versions let me know.

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
« Reply #508 on: April 25, 2013, 07:29:22 pm »
I prefer this one
3, sharp shadow:

But with the border shadow of this one
3, softer shadow:

Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2013, 07:45:48 pm »
Great idea to combine the power button with the arrow. This is getting better and better, nice work guys. :)

1, softer shadow:

I like that one the most.