Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A new logo for SFML  (Read 309391 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: A new logo for SFML
« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2013, 09:19:35 am »
@Laurent: if there are any modifications or tweakings you'd like, let me know! I'm all done with school now so I have plenty of time!
I think the logo is perfect now. There's just the "Simple and Fast Multimedia Library" text that you can try to integrate.

Also Laurent, if you don't mind, I'd like the SFML logo to be public domain
No problem.

can I modify it etc to fit the splash screen of my game?
Sure :)
Nice look, by the way.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

c0ffee

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:08 am »
Like the new site very much.

Dunno why you chose "power on/off" as a logo. If it was rotate switch the pointer had to be in work state, usually pointing top right for "mood direction", depicting it from power on button.
Pentagon form fits nicely to the number of SFML modules, and is what ties current symbol to SFML, chances of people catching resemblance are slim. More distinct memorable variants would be like in an arrow pointing upwards example, lower part looked like a box and arrow indicated taking out tools.
On the other hand "power on" is everywhere, if symbol is well tied to SFML logo would be very memorable.

All is imo, when I forget about button and look at it as a box with tools feeling is better, for now idea is ok and  logo is really well drawn.

Ivan

• IT geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:46 pm »
I like this logo, looks perfect. Simply and modern. Good job!

Yuraj

• C#
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:57 pm »
What about creating a new page on sfml website where could people download sfml logo/splash screen logos for their games? Also someone could create some banners with SFML subject  ;) These two things can make SFML more popular.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: May 01, 2013, 02:00:21 pm »
What about creating a new page on sfml website where could people download sfml logo/splash screen logos for their games?
That's what I'm doing now. I couldn't do it before I had the logo :P

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #575 on: May 01, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »
What about creating a new page on sfml website where could people download sfml logo/splash screen logos for their games?
FYI, I uploaded it to Wikipedia and put it on the SFML page. But yeah, it's not a bad idea to put it on the website.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #576 on: May 01, 2013, 03:52:33 pm »
@Laurent: if there are any modifications or tweakings you'd like, let me know! I'm all done with school now so I have plenty of time!
I think the logo is perfect now. There's just the "Simple and Fast Multimedia Library" text that you can try to integrate.
Alright, I'll play with the subtext. It just looks like the size/positioning were slightly modified (which looks good, btw), and I wasn't sure if you did that with the PNG or SVG version, and if you want me to I can modify the SVG version to have the same size/positioning.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #577 on: May 01, 2013, 03:57:29 pm »
It just looks like the size/positioning were slightly modified (which looks good, btw), and I wasn't sure if you did that with the PNG or SVG version, and if you want me to I can modify the SVG version to have the same size/positioning.
Ah, you're right. I had to slightly adjust the relative position of the image and text to fit the website. If you can adjust the source SVG, that would be perfect.

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #578 on: May 01, 2013, 05:50:09 pm »
It just looks like the size/positioning were slightly modified (which looks good, btw), and I wasn't sure if you did that with the PNG or SVG version, and if you want me to I can modify the SVG version to have the same size/positioning.
Ah, you're right. I had to slightly adjust the relative position of the image and text to fit the website. If you can adjust the source SVG, that would be perfect.
Cool. Here's a new version with the same relative sizing and positioning as what's on the website. I also used Scour to optimize the SVG and remove unused elements.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: May 01, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #580 on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »
Alright, here are a few tests. I used the Ubuntu font so it'd be the same as the rest of the website. Also, I moved the "SFML" up a little and didn't shrink it at all. The subtext is a very light gray. Thoughts?

1:

2:

3:

4:

imgur album

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #581 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »
It looks good.

What do others think?

Raphman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #582 on: May 02, 2013, 08:40:30 pm »
I think it fits the style very nicely. Simple and Streamlined. Much like SFML. 

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #583 on: May 02, 2013, 09:16:29 pm »
Now that you shifted "SFML" upwards, the color gradient is not aligned correctly anymore. The arc is interrupted :-\
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Raphman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #584 on: May 02, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »
Now that you shifted "SFML" upwards, the color gradient is not aligned correctly anymore. The arc is interrupted :-\

Didn't even notice that. I guess that's why I'm a code monkey and not a graphic designer.