Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tile based network game  (Read 2004 times)

Fouf

• View Profile
Tile based network game
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »
I'm going to be making a networked top down tile based game, and I will have many questions [hopefully not too many] so I want to open a thread to ask them in so I don't have to make 100 threads.
Anyway, I'll start with my first question...
Would it be more sensible to have text files of all the maps in the game, for both the client AND server or the server to send map information whenever they move to new areas, etc?
I see the upside of the both client and server for less network work on the server.
This may also show all the areas of the world to the client if they found the files.. and they would be able to edit them, although the server would always check with its copy and it wouldn't matter.
Any input appreciated.
- Fouf

Haikarainen

Re: Tile based network game
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:01:50 pm »
Quote from: "Fouf"
I'm going to be making a networked top down tile based game, and I will have many questions [hopefully not too many] so I want to open a thread to ask them in so I don't have to make 100 threads.
Anyway, I'll start with my first question...
Would it be more sensible to have text files of all the maps in the game, for both the client AND server or the server to send map information whenever they move to new areas, etc?
I see the upside of the both client and server for less network work on the server.
This may also show all the areas of the world to the client if they found the files.. and they would be able to edit them, although the server would always check with its copy and it wouldn't matter.
Any input appreciated.

If you just want validation of the map i would not have the server send the client the mapfiles(if you dont want guildwarslike-loadings, wich is a pain in the ass until youve discovered everything). I would just generate checksums for the maps on the server and have the client check to them or something, would take less time, less networking code etc.

Or yet better; store all maps in a world.tar.gz, and on start check the checksum of just that one file ! then you wouldnt even have to worry about checksumgenerationtimes while playing ,since it all would be done on loadingtime.