Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Menu system suggestions  (Read 1732 times)

cordr81

• View Profile
Menu system suggestions
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:36:00 am »
I did a few cursory searches and found no great answers, so I figured I'd just post the question.  Does anybody have any suggestion on an easy way to build menu systems for SFML?

I figure I can create something manually if need be, as my menu interaction is limited to a few screens and the nifty Text support is already provided.  However, has anybody else come up with some more elegant solutions?

Mjonir

• View Profile
Menu system suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:44 am »
Hi,

When I had to make my own menu system I found this article (warning: old French wiki). Although I ended up not really using it in the way it was intended, I think it may be a very good basis for most projects and would really recommend it. At least have a look, it will give you a nice idea about how to structure your menus in panels and buttons.

You can find a full, updated and compilable source at the repository of my own project here: Link to repository.

Valeour

• View Profile
Menu system suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:46:33 am »
I'm going out on a limb here, but you could always try GWEN. You can download a sample of what it is/does here.

The guy who made it has a SFML render for it too.
(Basically the samples just show controls of what you can use. If you were to use it, you can make your own window or system style. The guy who made that also made Garrysmod. Just a little fact I like x3)[/url]
Check out my blog; Technical Daze

cordr81

• View Profile
Menu system suggestions
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:59 am »
Great links, thanks.  That tutorial is a huge shortcut to the general idea I envisioned having to do myself.  Nice thing about that is you can do some really slick looking buttons depending on the pictures you make.

GWEN looks promising, unfortunately the examples were compiled for Windows.  It does look to have an Xcode source setup though, so I may try get that working.

Either one will save me loads of time over what I envisioned having to do from scratch, thanks again!

anything