Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Watch out my new game guys... constructive critics please  (Read 2653 times)

leonziyo

• View Profile
Watch out my new game guys... constructive critics please
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:43:23 am »
Hi guys, well I just finished i game I had been working on for the last month, and I would like to show it to you guys. I have to warn you that it has several error because I am not a professional game developer, this is actually my second game, but I think is worth of showing. It does not have sound sorry about that but I didn't want to spend more time on it. I think the game is what people call platform game, it has sort of a storyline.

well the game consist of a type of robot called Robotone, and well it lands in a space station and has to make his way in the station by fighting different monsters, and there are a few puzzles to complete. The game is pretty short it can be finished in a few minutes (if you can figure out the puzzles quickly).

I developed the graphics by myself and everything on the game, and I made the game using only SFML and some headers included on my compiler. like i said I am not a professional developer so do not expect something perfect.

here is the link it is free of virus so don't worry

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cd31e9e/n/Robotone_1.1v.zip

If you haven't downloaded anything from FileFactory before just open the link and scroll all the way to the bottom and choose Slow Download, unless you are member then choose Fast Download.

if you have problems with the controls or mini games read the NOTE below

NOTE:
I have a little problems with the key controls, they are not well defined what I mean is that sometimes you have to use the arrow keys to move in some menus and sometimes you have to use the W,A,S,D keys to move in other menus, the player ALWAYS moves with W,A,S,D and shoots with J, you can exit some menus with Escape, if not then press Enter, and to pause the game with P, there is a control menu you can access it in the main menu or by pressing P and then accessing the control menu. I;m just warning you because some friends told me they were having problems with the keys, so just remember arrow keys or W,S,A,D ...lol...

VALVE MINI-GAME:
some friends told me they were having  problems completing the first mini-game about a valve pressure competition in level 1... if you have problems read this:

the purpose of the mini-game is to fill the green bar to the top and to avoid filling the red one, if you fill the red one you loose and have to start the game again, now the pressure is indicated by the red marker, the purpose of the game is to keep the marker on the green zone in order to fill the green bar, however if you let the marker go to the red zone the red bar will rapidly fill and you will surely loose the game. now, you can control the pressure by pressing the left arrow or the right arrow the...... the left arrow will let the pressure go(marker will go to the left) and the right arrow will let pressure in(marker will go to the right). now you have to hold the keys pressed, if you want to add pressure hold the right key(do not release it) if you want to remove pressure hold the left key(do not release it)... another thing you should know is that there are random "pushes" of pressure meaning that every 6 seconds a random amount of pressure will be added or subtracted from the marker, that will make it a little bit more difficult.

if you think you are gonna loose press space bar to restart the game.

if you guys have troubles finishing it let me know to help you out.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:57 am »
I like new games! =)

Unfortunatly I also got a bit problems with your game.
I somehow can't kill those monsters, specially when two of them are on top of each other, my pistol just doesn't have any influnce on them.
Another bug is that the player when getting back to the ship an encounter the shaking the player is automaticly running further and you'll look over the right edge...

So since I don't get over your monsters, I couldn't test anything more of the game.

Maybe you could make the falling down a bit faster or the jumping a bit less high. It always takes ages to get to the ground again...

But I've to say I like the graphics.  :wink:

eXpl0it3r
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Haikarainen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »
You should totally upload some screenshots of this, as well as upload the project files to https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/, probably a more attractive downloadservice for your peers!

Edit; Downloaded the game now, it says "msvcp100d.dll" is missing, will download it but.. Isnt this a debuglibrary? Check your linkage if thats the case! Think i have msvcp100.dll or whatever the releaseversion of it is. Just a tip :)

Edit2: Downloaded msvcp100d.dll and msvcr100d.dll, and played it.

What i noticed:
    Somehow i get REALLY choppy gameplay! like 20fps or something :S
    The playershotspot is totally off (press left, then right, then left and youll see)
    Whatsup with the WASD movement in the menu? That was bugging me a little. Also since you use a somewhat weird keyconfig, you should let people be able to change it.
    Also, some gamelogic issues; Youll notice them in the video. "What the hell!?" is displayed twice.

A video of the choppy gameplay is here:

BTW i like the general feel of what you tried to achieve with the game, i can really sense a bit of supermetroid ;) You should really fix the performance issues, game logic, movement, controls etc, and then really polish the graphics! The text could be drawn with a different font,  and maybe with shadows? More tones on the character and environment? Maybe some colors?