Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Freighter - w/Source (Updated 11/04)  (Read 3395 times)

bglaze

• View Profile
Freighter - w/Source (Updated 11/04)
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:05:25 am »
Many of you have already seen and commented on my first SFML/C++ project located here: http://sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6110

This game -- "Freighter" -- is my second project.

The game is completely functional, though I will continue to add features. I apologize for using a .wav file for the background music. I am having trouble using .ogg files, none of them seem to load for me, so I need to work out that kink.

Freighter is a Space Skill game. You must collect the cargo crates that are floating outside your space station. The catch is that they are in an asteroid field, and you must navigate or blast your way through the asteroids to reach them without being killed. Your freighter ship (a millenium falcon =P ) has a shield, but it can only sustain so much damage. The weight of the asteroid determines how much damage it will do to your ship. So even though the big rocks move slowly, they will do lots of damage, so watch out!

Also, you can come back to your Space Station's "Safe Zone" at any time during the level to re-assess your strategy. A Force Field keeps the rocks from penetrating this safe zone, so you should be relatively safe there.

There are 10 levels.

The controls are as follows:
W-A-S-D or Arrow keys to move.
Left Mouse Button or Space Bar to shoot your laser.
F5 Restarts the game if you lose or advances you to the next "Zone" if you win.

Here is the compiled version for Windows:
http://bglz.net/files/cpp/projects/Freighter.zip

And here is the full source code in the form of a Code::Blocks project:
http://bglz.net/files/cpp/projects/Freighter-src-11-04.zip

I would REALLY appreciate suggestions and critiques on this game and especially on the code! As I stated in my first project--Yellow Snake--I am new to C++, so I am REALLY soaking up any advice you can give me on my coding techniques and logic.

Here are some screenshots:

bglaze

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »
Added sound and tweaked the code a bit. The game is fully functional now.

posva

• Feed me pls
    • View Profile
    • Posva Dev Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:42 pm »
The game is completely functional, though I will continue to add features. I apologize for using a .wav file for the background music. I am having trouble using .ogg files, none of them seem to load for me, so I need to work out that kink.

This may be because you're not using the lastest version of the DLLs located at extlibs

bglaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:11 am »
Oh, thanks posva, I'll check those out!