Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A few Questions  (Read 1881 times)

Jalfor

• View Profile
A few Questions
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:54:44 am »
The first and biggest thing that I'm asking is that when anyone other than me and one other person runs a file that I made, it comes up with the following error. I have checked everything that I can think of, I'm really out of ideas.

The procedure entry point_invalid_parameter_noinfo_noreturn could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR100.dll.

While I'm here, I'll ask a couple of other questions. Firstly, how do you make parts of sprites transparent. e.g. You have a ball or something and you don't want it going around as a ball inside a white square.

Lastly, is there a way to somehow set the edges of, say a spaceship without having to put it in manually, and saying if the stuff is this far in this and not this far this way and so on.

EDIT: I just had a look and with the sprites, could someone actually explain it to me, the functions that people write for it, although short, I have no clue what they are doing. For a start, what is alpha?
If a picture tells 1000 words, then a YouTube video clearly tells 1000000 making a YouTube video obviously a larger work than the Lord Of The Rings, or some other massive novel. Thus are the laws of YouTube videos.

slotdev

• View Profile
A few Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:39 am »
Hi

1. This is the famous MSVC runtime redistributables which are missing from the other systems. Which version of MSVC are you using?

2. You need to prepare the ball image with a transparent background, in a graphics program like GIMP or something, and save it as a type of image that supports transparency (like PNG).

3. Not sure I know what you mean but do you want to define the edges of a sprite (for collision detection or something??)

4. If you don't know what alpha transparency is, maybe you need to do a bit more learning before you tackle the code. Do some googling on it :)

Thanks
SFML 2.1

Jalfor

• View Profile
A few Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:55:32 pm »
1. I'm using VC++ 2010.

2. Thanks.

3. That is exactly what I mean, sorry for explaining it badly :P

4. True...sorry
If a picture tells 1000 words, then a YouTube video clearly tells 1000000 making a YouTube video obviously a larger work than the Lord Of The Rings, or some other massive novel. Thus are the laws of YouTube videos.

slotdev

• View Profile
A few Questions
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:44 pm »
Hi

OK, so you need the MSVC 2010 redist stuff. Install these on your target machines, or (better in my opinion) static link your program - this requires quite a bit of work in SFML to recompile the libs, then change your project settings. Anyway the redist installer is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555

On collision detection, there are loads of posts on this forum about this topic, so do a bit of searching. You're not the first to ask :)

Ed
SFML 2.1

anything