Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: X-Break  (Read 2957 times)

N1ghtly

• View Profile
X-Break
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:42 pm »
X-Break

Introduction:
Hello everybody, my name is Xander and I'm pretty new to these forums. Two days ago I decided it was time to start with my first serious project, after playing around with SFML for a bit over a week.
 And thus, X-Break was made! It's an old-school breakout clone, but I plan on implementing some more modern features once I get the basics working properly!

Pictures:
I have now menu at the moment, but the core of the game (collision, moving, levels etc) is working. Please keep in mind that the panel and the brick sprites are placeholders.
The ball, background and side stuff seems good imo. (I will structure the side panel more, however)
Here some screenshots:

Future Goals:
Ordered from most important to least:
[ ] Special types of bricks
[ ] Bonuses (which sometimes drop when bricks are destroyed), some ideas are "Time Warp", which freezes the ball(s) for a certain amount of time, and ofcourse the classics like shortening the panel or enlarging it)
  • A Menu

[ ] A level editor
[ ] A campaign
[ ] Procedural level generation
[ ] Multiple "areas" eg, in the desert, forest etc with each it's own special attributes which slightly alter the gameplay.

Do you have any ideas? Feel free to post them!

Why am I doing this?
Main reason: to keep myself motivated and to receive some feedback.
Another reason being that IMO too many of these threads are on this forum! :D

PS: I will post more pics and upload the binaries and possibly source soon, but it's late at night and I'm tired!

N1ghtly

• View Profile
X-Break
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »
Updated the thread! I now have a menu too, which I think looks pretty neat :)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
X-Break
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:01:07 pm »
Sounds interesting! The light-blue blocks don't really fit the graphics style, maybe you should make them less eye-catching. Same for the hearts, they look a little bit... hm, "sweet" (don't know the actual word in english, but you certainly get it) ;)

An idea for additional features would be items that create gravity, a magnetic field or something. Or ones that make the ball stronger, e.g. give the ability to strike through multiple blocks or to deal AOE damage. There are tons of possibilities, be creative :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

N1ghtly

• View Profile
X-Break
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:39 pm »
Thanks for the ideas Nexus!
About the sprites, i don't know if you read it but the bricks and panel are placeholders. In fact, I'll think I'll replace the sidepanel as a whole by one that fits the main menu's background better! I'll change the hearts too!

N1ghtly

• View Profile
X-Break
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:44:40 am »
I redesigned the sidepanel in-game but I'm not very happy with it. It just doesn't fit. Perhaps I'm gonna change the background to a more metallic one. Also: new bricks, ball and panel!!

EDIT: the brick on the left side stick out a bit because those bricks are a few pixels wider than the previous ones. I think I'll have to reduce the size of them in general.

EDIT EDIT: changed background and reverted side panel. The black bricks can't be broken, you have to get around them :)

anything