Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Galaxy  (Read 12766 times)

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:11:27 am »
Quote from: "easy"
I'm going to try it out as soon as it gets downloaded. 50 minutes left? Something must be wrong here... I'm going to try it again!

To download the other one from SFMLUploads were just a blink.

It's normal the archive is 121Mb and my FTP server is not made for that, it's just a temporary solution for the demo.

easy

• MSN Messenger - easy82.contact@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Galaxy
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »
Ok I've downloaded both of the files, and then I've realized it's an exe... :shock: I don't have WINE, but I have booted up a Windows in VirtualBox. I've installed the game there but it did not work. The window has frozen, actually. Anyway, I've copied these files on my Linux plus the Linux pack you've provided but it seems you've forgotten about the Launcher script, as I cannot find it anywhere. Running just the Galaxy executable does not do anything, just a window pops up and closes immediately.

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Galaxy
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
Don't worry, I've just made a Launcher script and it works! Testing... :D

Lo-X

• View Profile
Galaxy
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 02:24:17 pm »
it seems you've forgotten about the Launcher script, as I cannot find it anywhere. Running just the Galaxy executable does not do anything, just a window pops up and closes immediately.

Hmm.. Oops :/ Yes I forget it :/
Yes I compiled the game with the console activation I think (I usually debug on Linux and the console is usefull)

But if you managed to run it, that's perfect :D

Brendon

• View Profile
    • http://blendogames.com
Galaxy
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 11:10:28 pm »
Good stuff!

I love how the little fighter ships buzz around you. Do they move around randomly, or is there some sort of behind-the-scenes spline system?

Also, I was curious about how you did the booster-trails behind the ships. Is that done via raw OpenGL calls?  It looks great.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Galaxy
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 12:06:58 am »
Hmm I would guess some people do it with particles though think my teacher said something that most often you can get it to look even better with strokes(I think that was what he said, doesn't remember exactly).

Example on the wiki: http://www.sfml-dev.org/wiki/en/sources/stroke
There's a youtube video of it as well.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Lo-X

• View Profile
Galaxy
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 12:42:55 am »
Quote from: "Brendon"
Good stuff!

I love how the little fighter ships buzz around you. Do they move around randomly, or is there some sort of behind-the-scenes spline system?

Also, I was curious about how you did the booster-trails behind the ships. Is that done via raw OpenGL calls?  It looks great.

Quote from: "Groogy"
Hmm I would guess some people do it with particles though think my teacher said something that most often you can get it to look even better with strokes(I think that was what he said, doesn't remember exactly).

@Bredon :
Thank's a lot ! As a fan of your games I'm very happy you like mine (at least a little bit :D)
To answer for the fighters ships, they simply turn around a point. When they are too far away, they turn in order to go on that point. So basically they do a kind of " 8 ".

@Both :
Before the actual trails system, I used particles but as there are a LOT of particles in the game, it became slow.
So I switched for a simple array of points and I connect the points with a stroke that I make progressively transparent.

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Galaxy
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:44 am »
Hi!

I haven't had as much time to test this as I wanted, but here are some thoughts:

- First of all: the gameplay is very nice and polished!
    - The movement is nice and smooth
    - The particles and the ship trails are very cool!
    - I like that the companion ships follows orders
    - The cursor should change in my opinion when pointing on an enemy
    - Once I've targeted a ship, I cannot remove it! (I've attacked the home base accidentally) I think it would be nice to be able to cancel this when clicking on an empty area
    - What's the goal in Campain mode? Collecting minerals for one, okay, destroying the enemy ships for two, okay, but when done, what should I do?
    - The screen once remained green for me when died in minimap mode
    - In skirmish mode I've got a fleet and the enemy is just one tiny ship?
    - Asteroid boundaries are not visible or obvious enough!
    - Asteroids should rather push the ship back and the ship should then lose some power, in my opinion.
    - No instructions, the player has to figure out how things work.
    - The game menu, the options and key bindings are very nice! What do you use for GUI?
    - I like the loading splash screen, too

I know it's a demo, but I already really like it, and encourage you to keep it up! :D

Cheers!
easy

Lo-X

• View Profile
Galaxy
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 01:50:10 pm »
Thanks a lot for your feedback ! It's very constructive and it helps a lot !
Furthermore I'm glad to see that you like my game.

Once I've targeted a ship, I cannot remove it! (I've attacked the home base accidentally) I think it would be nice to be able to cancel this when clicking on an empty area

In fact this is possible by hitting Escape, but I forget to let the user bind that key.

What's the goal in Campain mode? Collecting minerals for one, okay, destroying the enemy ships for two, okay, but when done, what should I do?

In the demo there's nothing more. In the next version (beta), all campaign levels will be there and a pannel to upgrade your ship with minerals.

The screen once remained green for me when died in minimap mode

Yes, that's fixed in part. I thought it was funny to see the main menu in green so I let it. I'll probably really fix it if it's sounds weird for other people :p

In skirmish mode I've got a fleet and the enemy is just one tiny ship? Asteroid boundaries are not visible or obvious enough!

Oops. That's just in Linux version. I really need to share sources between linux and windows... :/

Asteroids should rather push the ship back and the ship should then lose some power, in my opinion.

I already reduce the hitbox of asteroids, but your idea sounds great.

No instructions, the player has to figure out how things work.

In fact there are, but sometimes if you give an order or something when the message should be shown, it disappear. That's fixed and I've added some buttons to see previous/next messages. I'll probably show a list of objectives too.

The game menu, the options and key bindings are very nice! What do you use for GUI?

An very simple homemade one. I've a class Element and every GUI item inherits from that. Windows simply have a list of Elements and send events to those Elements. Tell me if you want more informations about that.

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Galaxy
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »
In the demo there's nothing more. In the next version (beta), all campaign levels will be there and a pannel to upgrade your ship with minerals.

Very cool! And when is the beat coming? :P

Code: [Select]
In fact there are, but sometimes if you give an order or something when the message should be shown, it disappear. That's fixed and I've added some buttons to see previous/next messages. I'll probably show a list of objectives too.

Then I think I've seen this, it should appear on the lower panel, right? This is what I was expecting, btw, to get instructions on the lower panel, but actually the text is not shown. The panel is, when the game starts, but it's empty.

An very simple homemade one. I've a class Element and every GUI item inherits from that. Windows simply have a list of Elements and send events to those Elements. Tell me if you want more informations about that.

Nice! I thought you use some external libraries for that. How do you catch when the user writes text to a textbox?

Lo-X

• View Profile
Galaxy
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »
Nice! I thought you use some external libraries for that. How do you catch when the user writes text to a textbox?

I first catch when the user click on the textbox and I set the focus to true. Then, if the textbox has the focus and a key (whatever it is) is pressed I add it into that box. I just check if the key isn't Enter or Return or Escape (etc..) in order to manipulate the string.
The    |    at the end is added when the element is focused and remove when it's not.

The textbox has the same member to get an event than all others and this event comes from an ui::Window (wich is an Element). The Window just have the event from the main loop.

Element
     -> Window
          -> std::vector<Element *>
     -> Textbox
     -> Select
     -> Button<T>
     -> Image
     -> Text

Button is templated because it has a member Bind(  object* ,  object::member ) in order to Trigger() it.

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Galaxy
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »
Thanks! This is going to be useful! :)

Chiuchu

• View Profile
Galaxy
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:26 pm »
Salut,

Impressive work.

Do you plane any os x version ?

I have os x and i can compile it for you if needed.

Bon taff !

Lo-X

• View Profile
Galaxy
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 08:52:55 am »
Quote from: "Chiuchu"
Salut,

Impressive work.

Do you plane any os x version ?

I have os x and i can compile it for you if needed.

Bon taff !

Thanks a lot !

I'll see that when the final version will be released.

At the moment I've a lot of work and I'm improving the code for the campaign mode, which was not enough flexible for what I wanted to do.

I'll give some news in the next weeks !

anything