Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)  (Read 27999 times)

Haikarainen

Re: my turn
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »
Quote from: "OniLink10"
Oh god that's depressing. Virtually every programmer despises VB with a passion. With most languages, if you learn one, it becomes easier to learn every other language. With VB, it makes every other language seem far harder. Djikstra, one of the programming gods, has said "...the teaching of BASIC should be rated as a criminal offence: it mutilates the mind beyond recovery." VB is a "modern" version of BASIC. So yea, ditch VB and avoid it at all costs.

Hahaha, made me laugh, +1.

Seriously tho, you should really try and understand C++, SFML is also really great for that (since of its simplistic API)! Look at how to create c++ classes and Object-Oriented Programming as well ;)

Edit; Oh right, if you really really try and fail hard; Try BlitzMax! Personally I dont like it since im pretty good at C++, but every other guy that have tried C++ and failed always recommend BlitzMax. Basic-like syntax but way more powerful than basic.

asdatapel

• View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »
wow.... so many languages

asdatapel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »
really? is it that bad? I like it. Its pretty easy and stuff...

Haikarainen

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:59 am »
Quote from: "asdatapel"
really? is it that bad? I like it. Its pretty easy and stuff...

Yes well.. For starters, BASIC is.. basic. Nothing you should regurarly use, but something you could look at as a beginner to get a perception of how code can be. Also, Visual basic is managed by Microsoft, wich limits a lot of things in a lot of ways.

C++ is not so hard once you get the syntax and standards,

Deftwun

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 03:22:21 am »
Hey there cool thread.  I'm 24 and live in upstate New York (not many yankies on the thread it seems lol) I've been interested in computers since I was about 10 when my dad brought home an old computer that used the old 8 inch floppy disks to play games. since then i was hooked. Always interested in learning about electronics and programming.

I started programming around 16 when i got a copy of visual basic 4.0. wrote a couple simple games and got my feet wet. Also got real into music, songwriting and guitar around the same time. Didn't do much anything else with programming for a few years. Finished high school and went to a technical school for electronics.

Started working at a company that builds mass spectrometers and gas chromatographs working in the repair department. Was in a rock band for about a year or 2 playing gigs in my area. Made some money had some fun and some crazy parties. Got into music recording with Reaper (a DAW like Pro tools)

Then my daughter was born about a year and a half ago. Didn't have much time for the band so In my spare time when the baby was asleep i figured I'd try my hand at some C++ just for kicks.

Didn't realize I would end up diving in head first and absorbing anything i could. looked at a couple different libraries and SFML caught my eye. It's taught me a TON about C++ and Programming and general. Just looking at Laurents code and implementation has helped me immensly.

Lately I've been working on a little side scroller (think Zombie Smashers with guns) Its been fun for sure (after several complete engine re-writes) although I think I might be a programming addict now lol...

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 07:01:34 am »
Quote from: "Deftwun"
i got a copy of visual basic 4.0.
Rawr damn you Visual Basic and your ability to infect the minds of our children!
I use the latest build of SFML2

asdatapel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:14 pm »
lol I dont get whats so bad about it. I used it for quite a while, and now I do C++.I havent been "fected"(i think)

Deftwun

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 03:33:23 am »
Yeah Its not so bad if you plan on making some simple GUI programs.. granted its not great either.  Games though... thats outta the question. Possible but the language kinda fights you the whole way lol... learned the hard way but I still learned from it... here I am right?

denismr

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 12:07:59 am »
Hi!
My name is Denis.
I'm Brazilian, 20 years old and I'm coursing the 6th semester of Computer Science at Universidade de São Paulo.
Currently, I am in a scientific initiation, doing research about a subtopic of machine learning (multilabel knn) and I am participating in programming contests like ICPC.
Before the university, I was in a 2 years technical course at Instituto Federal de Educação Tecnológica de São Paulo. During this course, I was a Microsoft Student Partner by one year.
I started to learn programming when I was 11 with Visual Basic, Delphi, Game Maker Language and Multimedia Fusion (that improves logic and creativity).

My favorite topics in CS are algorithms, graph theory, data structures, evolutionary programming, computer graphics and I have some experience with hardware design, hardware description language, algorithms, data structures, vertex and pixel shaders, among other things.
Although I am researching about machine learning, I don't love this area.

I've made some games in my life, but all of them were "incomplete". They were just prototypes, some of them for university classes. But I'm sure that all of them were very unique.

I'm making a real game by now, and I plan to use SFDL in this project.

I speak portuguese (my native language) and I understand english, but I don't write in english very well.

Nice to meet you.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 07:48:23 am »
SFDL

Arghhhh :lol:
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

gsaurus

• View Profile
    • Evolution Engine
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »
My name is Gil, I'm portuguese, 24 years.
I started with a game maker called "The Games Factory" when I was 14, then learnt Pascal, C, VB at college, then C++ and Java at uni (and some other languages and scripting langs but those are the ones I know better).
I didn't finish my masters in Computer Science yet, it's jammed since 2 or 3 years due to a health problem - brain exhaustion or something like that. I left research work at uni due to that. I had (and have) some personal projects too, like EvE, but everything is stuck because of that.
I have videos of some works of mine here (some really old in Pascal and C). I haven't been doing much stuff lately as you can imagine (though I think Pluma is ok)

My university is Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia), Portugal. I'm progressing very slowly now, but still having good marks.
Pluma - Plug-in Management Framework

Haikarainen

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:17 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
SFDL

Arghhhh :lol:

This made me laugh so hard now that i actually noticed it :D

slotdev

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 11:42:36 pm »
I might as well have a go at this too!

I'm Ed, just turned 30 (ouch) from Oxford, England, and Technical Director of a company that designs and develops mechanical and video slot machines.

In my spare time, I do a LOT of running, teach rowing occasionally at Oxford University and sometimes do a bit of kayaking too. I'm not married, but I'm working on it...

I've been into computers and slot machines since I was 13, as I was always fascinated with any machine you can put a coin into and some magic happens, be it pinball, video games or, more interestingly for me, gambling machines.

I started programming when I was 12, on an old 386 with DOS 6 or something, and GWBasic/QBasic, then switched to C a few years later. After leaving school I managed to get a job just play testing slot machines all day, but with my knowledge of programming, I soon started helping the dev guys do the boring parts of their work - coding the lamp animation sequences. Not long after I graduated to programming my own games and then moved up through that company to be a senior programmer at 21 :D

I left a few years later and started my own company...

There are 5 of us here, a small but very hardworking team, and we love our work. Our games aren't quite the same as you'd see in Las Vegas, but we're not far behind. We don't have $1m development budgets (yet :))

We used SDL for a few projects but found it slow, inflexible and hard to use. A bit of Googling resulted in me finding SFML and, I must say, we have not looked back. I would gladly consider funding SFML development as it's been so important in the development of our company.

It's a great bit of software, and the community here is fantastic and so much more helpful than SDL. It just needs a few bug fixes and it'll be perfect :p

Ed
SFML 2.1

TeLMo

• MSN Messenger - thvs2live.it
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:17 pm »
Well, my name is Telmo Henrique Valverde, but you can call me Telmo. :) I'm a brazilian 15 years old guy that's learning how to program C++. I'm reading some e-books, I don't really have someone to teach me, but some friends and forum guys help me out to solve some problems with code and stuff. I'm trying to develop my own indie game, so I started to use SFML.  :lol:
Zombie Offensive - Development blog
http://zombieoffensive.blogspot.com/

David

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 09:47:06 pm »
I'm David, which is fairly obvious for the lot of you. I've always been fascinated with game development, but never really got into it until I came across Scratch, a UI version of Java, back in 6th grade. I actually didn't find it on my own, my computer teacher kinda mentioned it one day, and I was hooked to it right when I got it. It was okay, kinda messy in its ways, but it did its job. My best friend and I were making games left and right until I moved to a new place. From then on, I was just interested in making animations in Flash at home and Powerpoint at school. I tried to learn how to program using Flash, but the whole thing just went over my head. I did enter this iD Tech camp during the summer, but they barely "taught" us much and used UI-based programs such as Multimedia Fusion (this isn't really surprising since they only teach for 5 days). This continued for a couple years until 9th grade. I was bored one day in the middle of Spanish class when I'd decided to check out HTML for once. From there, I've made some websites, even if they fall under the eye-killer category. Overall, HTML, CSS, and Javascript only took me a couple weeks to learn, and I knew that I have some sort of talent with programming. I actually took honors programming in my freshman year in high school, but the teacher didn't really "teach." The farthest we've gotten to was making a maze in VB using like 10 lines, and the whole class kinda fell apart (she was fired by the end of the year, unfortunately). I started to master AS2, and made some pretty fun games in the process. After half a year of scripting, I've finally got to the point where my games start to reach the limits of AS2, creating lags and whatnot. I ended up forcing myself to learn AS3, which was very similar to Java. I never liked Java in the first place even though I'd used Scratch, and learning AS3 was a pain. I finally gave up and decided to learn C++ just because it's the most efficient language that I knew of. It only took me a couple days to learn how to program in CP, and I'd thought that I was ready for graphic programming. I was wrong. Very wrong. Programming graphics in C++ was nothing like scripting in AS2. I was overwhelmed by the amount of failure that I was faced with just to get a simple code to work. The farthest I've ever gotten to was collisions with squares, and even that had some issues. So I took a break over the summer, which is why I wasn't active at all. I did some scripting in the meantime.

I came back to C++ a week ago after seeing that my favorite game closed due to "financial problems" (it's in quotes because the company that made the game is extremely rich). I was determined to make a game with similar components, and decided to wipe the slate and relearn C++. Turns out I'd missed a lot of key points due to the fact that I did the same with AS2 and was fine with it. Now I know how the syntax works and now I'm trying to use CP for a month before using SFML (school is making me extremely busy). By the way, if you were to ask me anything about programming a year ago, I would be extremely clueless.

Other than all that, I like to draw using Paint Tool Sai (I have PS, too, but I honestly don't like that and I only use it for "professional graphics"). I also like to listen to the randomest music, ranging from Lady Gaga to Vocaloid to chiptune in general, and play Earthbound as well as other RPGs. I hate Microsoft (something is terribly wrong with their computers and softwares), anime, JPEGs, Family Guy (but I love American Dad), Java, AS3, and C# (I think I said that), and yaoi as well as other disturbing stuff out there. I'm trying to study really hard this year and go to a good physics/IT college such as MIT.  Enough of that, check out my deviantart here for more info (lots of goodies and stuff): http://davidscript.deviantart.com .

Now that I look more closely, it seems that everyone had a nice background when it comes to programming. I feel... left out :lol:

EDIT: Holy crap, I wrote a lot. I really should be starting my paper for history due tomorrow

anything