Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)  (Read 28610 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OniLinkPlus

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 500
    • View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 01:42:01 am »
Quote from: "David"
I came back to C++ a week ago after seeing that my favorite game closed due to "financial problems" (it's in quotes because the company that made the game is extremely rich).
May I ask which game?
I use the latest build of SFML2

David

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 71
    • View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 02:08:55 am »
Quote from: "OniLink10"
Quote from: "David"
I came back to C++ a week ago after seeing that my favorite game closed due to "financial problems" (it's in quotes because the company that made the game is extremely rich).
May I ask which game?


PopTag, a version of Bomberman that Nexon created. Such a good game, kinda sad and a little weird that they had to shut it down.  :cry:

Sargon

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
I am Ofer,
I am making games in my free time and work in university on 3D Scanners for my living.
That's it.

pdinklag

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 330
  • JSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • JSFML Website
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:27 pm »
I love these threads. :)

My name's Patrick.
I'm from Germany and have just recently went to the Technical University of Dortmund to study computer sciences. Before that, I had a 3 years training and may call myself a professional software developer. I have quite some things floating around the internet already.

I started hacking Goldeneye on the N64 in about 2004 using the Gameshark. I quickly lost track, but provided some tools that allowed you to edit game texts and multiplayer weapon sets.

I went on to hack Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, which would result in the RockPatch. Later on, I worked on a tool called "Syringe" that can inject any DLL code into any unprotected 32-bit application. This tool is currently in use in the Ares project, which I left, but is still being developed. It's an advanced way to hack / mod C&C: Yuri's Revenge and makes some modders happy until this day. :)

From 2008 on, when my favorite UT2004 server moved, I volunteered to become a game administrator on the new server. I loved the job, started to build maps, and eventually took over development of the RPG mod that we were running. TitanRPG was born. I have stopped its development in June, but reserve the option to go back at it.

This year, I looked for a decent multimedia API for Java. There's lwjgl, but I hate the fact that you have access to the raw OpenGL / OpenAL / OpenCL methods only. There was no decent high-level Java library around, so I checked for them outside the Java world. I found SFML. :) It convinced me, and I started working on JSFML, which is in sleeping development (waiting for the new graphics API :P ).

I also established a Minecraft server at the place where "my" UT2004 server ran at and also started developing minor Minecraft server plugins.

As a developer, there are loads and loads of little projects that eventually got cancelled, including several game ideas. If anybody wonders how it all started, it was when my big sister left me a Commodore 64 when I was 9. :D

Apart from nerdy coding, I do non-professional electronic music production: http://soundcloud.com/pdinklag The style is hard to describe...
JSFML - The Java binding to SFML.

Ricky

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 99
    • View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2011, 04:22:52 am »
Quote from: "pdinklag"
I love these threads. :)

My name's Patrick.
I'm from Germany and have just recently went to the Technical University of Dortmund to study computer sciences. Before that, I had a 3 years training and may call myself a professional software developer. I have quite some things floating around the internet already.

I started hacking Goldeneye on the N64 in about 2004 using the Gameshark. I quickly lost track, but provided some tools that allowed you to edit game texts and multiplayer weapon sets.

I went on to hack Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, which would result in the RockPatch. Later on, I worked on a tool called "Syringe" that can inject any DLL code into any unprotected 32-bit application. This tool is currently in use in the Ares project, which I left, but is still being developed. It's an advanced way to hack / mod C&C: Yuri's Revenge and makes some modders happy until this day. :)

From 2008 on, when my favorite UT2004 server moved, I volunteered to become a game administrator on the new server. I loved the job, started to build maps, and eventually took over development of the RPG mod that we were running. TitanRPG was born. I have stopped its development in June, but reserve the option to go back at it.

This year, I looked for a decent multimedia API for Java. There's lwjgl, but I hate the fact that you have access to the raw OpenGL / OpenAL / OpenCL methods only. There was no decent high-level Java library around, so I checked for them outside the Java world. I found SFML. :) It convinced me, and I started working on JSFML, which is in sleeping development (waiting for the new graphics API :P ).

I also established a Minecraft server at the place where "my" UT2004 server ran at and also started developing minor Minecraft server plugins.

As a developer, there are loads and loads of little projects that eventually got cancelled, including several game ideas. If anybody wonders how it all started, it was when my big sister left me a Commodore 64 when I was 9. :D

Apart from nerdy coding, I do non-professional electronic music production: http://soundcloud.com/pdinklag The style is hard to describe...


Hi there! I have been really busy but I still pop in and read the new posts.
Nice to meet you all!

I commented on this post because I am working on an injector too and I named the project syringe too. I don't know if I should change the name or not. Do you care pdinklag if I use the same name for my injector project?
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

pdinklag

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 330
  • JSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • JSFML Website
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »
Quote from: "Ricky"
I am working on an injector too and I named the project syringe too. I don't know if I should change the name or not. Do you care pdinklag if I use the same name for my injector project?

Does yours work for 64-bit applications? Cause that would be cool. :)

Anyway, feel free to use the name, my Syringe was made and is used by one specific project only (well, another one uses it, but that's very minor), I don't plan on doing any public releases. In case you're interested, feel free to have a peek at its sources:
http://svn.renegadeprojects.com/listing.php?repname=Syringe&path=%2Ftrunk%2F&#a0b40758157c8f16fa703ca3be466fa8a
JSFML - The Java binding to SFML.

Groogy

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1469
    • MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2011, 02:43:25 am »
Hope it fits into this thread but wanted to do some update on my information and tell everyone what I am working/employed/studying with/by/on at the moment.
To be frank, I just want to brag a little. :twisted:

Currently I am working in a group called Rimfrost Studios(Like us on facebook! :D) where we are a group of five programmers and five artists. I was voted to be the Code Lead because of my experience in that specific role.

Currently we are working on a Space Shooter in 3D and we are on our 3rd iteration which contain only tree things: Polish, Polish and Polish served with some more Polish as side dish.

One of these things to polish has been lighting and I looooooove those things. So I took it upon myself to implement physically based lighting and it looks really nice even with my artists work-in-progress models that don't even have all channels/maps/textures. (albedo, ambient occlusion, substance, roughness, environment and normal)

Also note being a Code Lead doesn't mean that you get to decide what happens. It is really the worst role you can get as it means you will do more boring stuff and be pushed away from programming anything fun. This lighting was the only thing I've done the entire week on the game :(

Tried to upload to sfmluploads.org but couldn't access my account for some weird reason. Anyway here's some screenshots:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/308399_241987609184247_100001190302490_603531_541211117_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/291701_241987649184243_100001190302490_603532_1144327707_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/307854_241987665850908_100001190302490_603533_597419032_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/318659_241987692517572_100001190302490_603534_1702475788_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/317178_241989329184075_100001190302490_603539_738142430_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/317787_241992152517126_100001190302490_603542_2088228342_n.jpg

This one is me playing around with some of the channels so it's VERY shiny, I lajk shiny things :D
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305122_241992169183791_100001190302490_603543_1570417850_n.jpg
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

CJ_COIMBRA

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
    • ICQ Messenger - 13077864
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cjcoimbra.com
    • Email
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »
I'm brazilian, 27 years old, I'm also married. I have two cats and I am preparing to have a baby with my wife (I hope so :P) in the next 1 - 2 years. I live in Goiânia, capital of the state of Goiás, western part of Brazil.

I started programming at age of 12 with little DOS programs. I graduated recently in computer science at Pontifical Catholic University of Goiás. I am experienced in C, C++, a little Java, Lua script and C#.

I work as a programmer in a local gamedev company. We do small casual games and advergames for publicity. I like it, except that I can´t use C++ there.

I am currently deciding if I spend my free time with personal game projects or with my master degree... didn´t figure it out yet...
CJ

Silvah

  • Guest
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »
.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:37:11 pm by Advocatus Diaboli »

capz

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 01:33:10 am »
Well, I'll say hi too, considering that I registered today :P

Haven't been much on the forums until now, really. But anyways!

Hi, I'm Leroy, 24, from the Netherlands.
I often found myself wanting to create websites as a young teen, and that was something that I pursued despite not having access internet connection until years later.

Then I got into console gaming, with a PSX, moved to Gamecube later, and Picked up Phantasy Star Online.
I then got involved with the Action replay gamecube hacking community, and learned how to use a debugger and create cheats for Phantasy Star. At about the same time, I had decided to go enroll at a game dev education, which was a super new thing at the time, where I first got in touch with Visual Basic 6 (..ugh). Oh and game maker (...uhhhggg).

I made some tools in VB for the Gamecube hacking community, before I picked up C++ (as in, they handed me a book on C++), and I taught myself C++ from the book, and online references.
Then they had an indie dev come in and teach us C++ game programming. But I had just bought my first Mac, and his homemade game lib would only support development on windows. A big no-go.

.. So I started messing with SDL, wrote my own SDL wrapper as a compatibility layer around the teacher's library, and learned so much doing that.

Graduated there learning most of the important stuff myself, off the internet, and enrolled at NHTV University of Applied Science straight after. I also did some work as a volunteer, for an online gaming lifestyle publication, where I worked as a columnist and CTO, before quitting to focus on my studies. I loved attending industry events such as GDC, though! Fascinating talks and people there : )

Then I picked up SFML as a friend of mine discovered it, after initially continuing work on my own (by then) 2D game engine in SDL.

So I'm now a 3rd year Indie Game Dev student, with industry and media contacts, and roughly 16+ games under my belt (property of past and present schools, sadly). But I'm also a web developer (your average html, xhtml, css, javascript, php, mysql stuff), know Adobe Flash/Flash Builder with Actionscript3, and picked up Python two weeks ago (good stuff!)

Switched over my latest personal project over from SFML to SFML2, and spent today going through API references, source code, figuring out why my 360 controller refuses to work in SFML2 on Mac OS X (I think I did).

I have to say though, I totally love SFML for it's clean API, and I'm learning interesting new stuff every day by solving problems as I go (which I think goes for a lot of people on here ^_^)
Cool forum by the way. I've never been into the whole mailing list thing that's so frequently used in the open source development community : ) And I'm curious if there's any other dutch guys around :)

Ok. Time to shut up now.

Silvah

  • Guest
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »
An update :lol:
Quote from: Silvah
my wife is French
That's not true anymore. I've divorced with her and married someone else. My new wife is from... or wait, try to guess :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:39:18 pm by Advocatus Diaboli »

Ricky

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 99
    • View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
Quote from: "capz"
Well, I'll say hi too, considering that I registered today :P

Haven't been much on the forums until now, really. But anyways!

Hi, I'm Leroy, 24, from the Netherlands.
I often found myself wanting to create websites as a young teen, and that was something that I pursued despite not having access internet connection until years later.

Then I got into console gaming, with a PSX, moved to Gamecube later, and Picked up Phantasy Star Online.
I then got involved with the Action replay gamecube hacking community, and learned how to use a debugger and create cheats for Phantasy Star. At about the same time, I had decided to go enroll at a game dev education, which was a super new thing at the time, where I first got in touch with Visual Basic 6 (..ugh). Oh and game maker (...uhhhggg).

I made some tools in VB for the Gamecube hacking community, before I picked up C++ (as in, they handed me a book on C++), and I taught myself C++ from the book, and online references.
Then they had an indie dev come in and teach us C++ game programming. But I had just bought my first Mac, and his homemade game lib would only support development on windows. A big no-go.

.. So I started messing with SDL, wrote my own SDL wrapper as a compatibility layer around the teacher's library, and learned so much doing that.

Graduated there learning most of the important stuff myself, off the internet, and enrolled at NHTV University of Applied Science straight after. I also did some work as a volunteer, for an online gaming lifestyle publication, where I worked as a columnist and CTO, before quitting to focus on my studies. I loved attending industry events such as GDC, though! Fascinating talks and people there : )

Then I picked up SFML as a friend of mine discovered it, after initially continuing work on my own (by then) 2D game engine in SDL.

So I'm now a 3rd year Indie Game Dev student, with industry and media contacts, and roughly 16+ games under my belt (property of past and present schools, sadly). But I'm also a web developer (your average html, xhtml, css, javascript, php, mysql stuff), know Adobe Flash/Flash Builder with Actionscript3, and picked up Python two weeks ago (good stuff!)

Switched over my latest personal project over from SFML to SFML2, and spent today going through API references, source code, figuring out why my 360 controller refuses to work in SFML2 on Mac OS X (I think I did).

I have to say though, I totally love SFML for it's clean API, and I'm learning interesting new stuff every day by solving problems as I go (which I think goes for a lot of people on here ^_^)
Cool forum by the way. I've never been into the whole mailing list thing that's so frequently used in the open source development community : ) And I'm curious if there's any other dutch guys around :)

Ok. Time to shut up now.

Hoi mijn vriend! Waar woon je in Nederland?
*cough* gotta practice that dutch whenever I get the chance :)
Quote from: "Silvah"
An update :lol:
Quote from: "Silvah"
my wife is French
That's not true anymore. I've divorced with her and married someone else. My new wife is from... or wait, try to guess :P

Wow can I ask what caused that?  :o

Also I got to update, I've been studying electronics for the past bit and Lua. School stole my money :( and thats pretty much it. Still studying
and still spriting..

 ..still poor :(
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

eigenbom

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 228
    • View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 12:40:31 pm »
Hi my name is Ben, I'm 30, married, have a PhD in computer science (graphics), and love to program and play games. I started when I was about 7 or 8 on a c64 my dad bought. I'm working on my first "real " game, moonman, and I'm using sfml because it is awesome. :-)

Hmm what else ... I live in Melbourne,  Australia which is pretty nice, and used to live out in the country in a town of only 500 ppl. My favourite language is c++, but i like others too like lua, python, or haxe.

And im looking forward to sfml2s API being frozen. :-P

Edit: link fixed. Stupid autocorrect!

thePyro_13

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 156
    • View Profile
Who Are You? (the obligatory interview thread)
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
Quote from: "eigenbom"
Hi my name is Ben, I'm 30, married, have a PhD in computer science (graphics), and love to program and play games. I started when I was about 7 or 8 on a c64 my dad bought. I'm working on my first "real " game, moonman, and I'm using sfml because it is awesome. :-)

Hmm what else ... I live in Melbourne,  Australia which is pretty nice, and used to live out in the country in a town of only 500 ppl. My favourite language is c++, but i like others too like lua, python, or haxe.

And im looking forward to sfml2s API being frozen. :-P


Is that link correct? milkman.io gives me a domain not found error. But moonman.io links to a pretty cool looking game. :p

I think the API is already frozen, unless something unexpected comes up. See this post by Laurent.

Just realised I haven't made an introduction in this thread yet, so hear it is.

My name is Steven, I live in Australia(also near Melbourne :D), and I'm a fourth year student at University, studying Game Design and Development and a bit of Computer Science.

I'm 21 years old and have pretty much always wanted to make games(except when I wanted to be a train driver, because every kid wants to do that for a least some point in their childhood xD).

I've just recently started a blog(link in my signature) where I'm posting about projects that I've completed, mostly using SFML, and talking about game design. It only has one post, but hopefully I'll have enough free time to keep adding to it. It should become something of an online portfolio in time.