Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pacaman [Demo]  (Read 25672 times)

easy

• MSN Messenger - easy82.contact@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:41 am »
Hola!

Yesterday I've finished a very important part of the game, I've finished adding more items! :D

Here's the list of items in the game:
    -
The star is the most common item and is worth 10 points.
- The apple is 20 points.
- The pear is 30 points.
- The grape is 50 points.
- The melon is the best fruit and scores 100 points.
- Picking up the ring makes pacaman faster and able to eat ghosts.
- The heart gives +1 life.
- The clock adds 30 seconds more to finish the level.
- Use the teleport to escape from ghosts.
- You need to collect all the keys to open the lift door.
- You can go to the next level by stepping onto the open door.[/list]

Originally, I wanted the items to inherit from CEntity class, as it'd be logical, at least, to me. Logical in terms of the entity is an object that you can do something with it. However, I've realised there're a lot of items in the game! Almost exactly as many floor tiles there are. So that's why I've decided to use this solution about items: they're an other layer on the level, similarly to the layer of walls and floors. Pacaman is probably not the best example of item and entity handling, as the only entities are players and ghosts, and all the items are a more static part of the level itself...

Now that I've reached this little milestone (items done), I can finally improve game balance, AI, and seek for songs and sounds! :)

Cheers,
easy

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »
***** Pacaman has a website now: pacaman.blogspot.com *****

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 02:10:02 pm »
A new video has been released on the website! Enjoy! :)

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »
The alpha demo is released! Download it from the website: pacaman.blogspot.com

Veenr

• View Profile
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 09:00:10 pm »
Cool game! As most of guys here, I especially like your design, it's so bright and yummy! When a game is that simple, the graphics is what attracts most of all :)

Haikarainen

Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:03 pm »
Really friggin cool so far!

Some issues I noticed;
    Gamemusic doesn't loop
perfectly
 Download-link on the page should be https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/85/download and not just /file/85
 The awesome scorecounter at end of each map sometimes randomly hangs, giving you awful noise. You have to move the window for it to stop, so I think it has to do with frametimes.
[/list]

Couldn't stop playing til the end. VERY nice work, there should be more quality products made with this much love here on the SFML forums!

GREAT SCOTT!

keyforge

• View Profile
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 12:34:07 am »
This is a true piece of artwork! The graphics and gameplay are good and everything flows smoothly! Playing the game I observed the small details and the movement of the map and character and everything was very cool. The input was kinda glitchy because sometimes I pressed a button and it didn't respond until I pressed it again or I held it down longer. Are you using sf::Event or sf::Input for key inputs? sf::Event is more reliable and sf::Input is known for missing key events every once in a while.

Edit: The FPS counter flickered so much that I couldn't even tell what the current FPS was, especially without VSync! Maybe update the FPS counter at a slower rate. Also for co-op you might want to make it so that the game only ends once both pacaman characters get to the exit, this adds challenge that you have to get both people to the checkpoint by the end of the time and lets the other person get to finish up what they want so that they can get all of the stars and fruit they wanted to get before it ends. Either that or add a time limit for the second person after the first person gets to the checkpoint they have like 10-15 seconds to get what they want before the level changes (and if they die it either just ends or it restarts the level). And lastly I had a problem with the ghosts spawning in front of the spawn point with no way to escape and me being trapped there so they could make me loose a life. This could annoy some people trying to do a playthrough of the game without loosing a life or something like that. I know it's only alpha version and it's subject to a lot of change but these are just a few suggestions!
Need a place to upload your code, files or screenshots? Use SFML Uploads!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 03:14:16 am »
Nice pacman clone! I like the GUI, especially the score summary at the end :)

Two things keyforge mentioned also got my attention: The flickering FPS counter (I guess it was always 500 or 1000) and the impossible situations where ghosts appear in front of your house door. And I think the first few levels are far too easy and thus boring (no enemies, very much time)... Just collecting all fruits isn't that funny ;)

30 seconds given by the clock are too much in my opinion, 10 seconds are already much time in this game.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 10:36:56 am »
Wow! Thank you guys for your kind words and also for the constructive critics! :)

Quote from: "Veenr"
Cool game! As most of guys here, I especially like your design, it's so bright and yummy! When a game is that simple, the graphics is what attracts most of all

Haha, thanks! I like this "bright and yummy" phrase. By the way, I guess it comes from web design, because that's what I usually do.

Quote from: "Haikarainen"
Really friggin cool so far!

Some issues I noticed;
Gamemusic doesn't loop perfectly
Download-link on the page should be https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/85/download and not just /file/85
The awesome scorecounter at end of each map sometimes randomly hangs, giving you awful noise. You have to move the window for it to stop, so I think it has to do with frametimes.

Thanks man! :)

- I know about the game music; it's because it was cut by me: Read the issue here. But I'll try it again.
- Download links: Ok, thanks, I'll do that.
- Noisy score counting: Hmmm, I need to investigate this!

Quote from: "keyforge"
This is a true piece of artwork! The graphics and gameplay are good and everything flows smoothly! Playing the game I observed the small details and the movement of the map and character and everything was very cool. The input was kinda glitchy because sometimes I pressed a button and it didn't respond until I pressed it again or I held it down longer. Are you using sf::Event or sf::Input for key inputs? sf::Event is more reliable and sf::Input is known for missing key events every once in a while.

First of all, thank you for testing!

- Other people have also reported this input problem, which is actually due to that I only check input when the player is more or less in the middle of a tile. I'll try to come up with a solution for this issue. BTW, I'm using sf::Input.
- Update FPS counter on a lower rate: Ok!
- I like the idea of the Co-op mode, that both players need to reach the elevator, but what if a player dies? Hmmm... I think that this solution would actually punish the player who could make it to the elevator in time...
- Ghost spawing in front of you at start: Yes, others also had problems with this one. But I have an idea to solve it!

Quote from: "Nexus"
Nice pacman clone! I like the GUI, especially the score summary at the end  

Two things keyforge mentioned also got my attention: The flickering FPS counter (I guess it was always 500 or 1000) and the impossible situations where ghosts appear in front of your house door. And I think the first few levels are far too easy and thus boring (no enemies, very much time)... Just collecting all fruits isn't that funny  

30 seconds given by the clock are too much in my opinion, 10 seconds are already much time in this game.

Thanks Nexus!

- These levels are just tutorial levels, but you're right: I'll need to make the game more difficult. Although it was even more easier before yesterday. :) On the other hand, later you'll have to gain X number of medals to procceed to the next level, so it'll be more difficult.
- 10 seconds instead of 30 seconds: Good idea! Thanks!

I've added your ideas to my TODO list, guys!

What are your computer specs? Which OS did you play the game on? I'd like to figure out the minimum requirements for the game.

Haikarainen

Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »
Quote from: "easy"
What are your computer specs? Which OS did you play the game on? I'd like to figure out the minimum requirements for the game.

Well I guess this doesn't say much regarding minimum requirements, but it might help debugging the problems i noticed;

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
AMD Athlon II X4 645 @ ~3.2GHz
8192MB DDR3 XMS3 RAM
AMD XFX Radeon 6870 Black Edition

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
Thanks Haikarainen! Well your specs are definately not the minumum requirements :) But it's good to know that it runs on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

keyforge

• View Profile
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »
It runs fantastically on my Windows 7 32 bit, 3 GB RAM, 512 MB GPU, 2 GHZ dual core CPU laptop. I'll have to test it on my 900 mhz 1 GB RAM netbook!

easy

• View Profile
    • Email
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 06:37:46 pm »
Oh, cool! Thanks keyforge! :)

Haikarainen

Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
Do you have any sourcecode download for this yet? I'm pretty interested on how you coded certain things ;)

keyforge

• View Profile
Pacaman [Demo]
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 10:25:31 pm »
Tested it on my netbook and it ran good, just a little choppy but I had steam running too so that probably explains it. But when I closed the app it gave me an error.

"pacaman.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x100453cc" referenced memory at "0x0120e386". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program."