Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Premake  (Read 10052 times)

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
Premake
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:25:38 am »
You don't have to use it. Just want you to look at it. I think it looks far superior to CMake (imo). Might be a good idea. Looks like it's far easier to grasp.
I use the latest build of SFML2

Klaim

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:57:44 pm »
I'm watching it because I think it could be a better alternative than CMake in some context, like games.

My current CMake project uses Qt so until the Qt scripts are fixed in Premake I can't test Premake with this project.

However, I have another simple game project that might be a perfect test case fore Premake.

ratzlaff

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17:24 pm »
I am watching it as well, looks to be easier to set up than cmake and I like that it is using some other language (lua) for setup instead of inventing another.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
Premake
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:34:28 am »
I would be really interested in this, if anyone here with a sounding word tells me i should :)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Premake
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:46 am »
I just had a quick look at premake and I'm not so positive about it.

It seems too young and not adapted to be used for a large project. (Maybe I'm wrong but the quick start examples are not so encouraging.)
Moreover I would not be able to create OS X frameworks with premake.

Another pro (at least it works for me) to stick with cmake is : laziness. I would mean to rewrite everything (that currently work, btw).
And so it would postpone SFML 2.0 release date.  :wink:
SFML / OS X developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Premake
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:58 am »
And so it would postpone SFML 2.0 release date

It could be changed after SFML 2.0 is out, since it doesn't involve changing the API.

I'd like to evaluate it, or even try to convert SFML, but I'm afraid I won't have the time to do it.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

omeg

• View Profile
    • http://omeg.pl/
Premake
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:19 am »
Don't fix something that ain't broken imo. ;) Is there any problem with CMake? If not, leave it.

ratzlaff

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:40:07 pm »
With cmake, I cannot generate a project for someone else without requiring them to also install cmake. (If there is a way to do this, then I am unaware of it) That is the largest problem I have with it.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:38 pm »
Quote from: "omeg"
Don't fix something that ain't broken imo. ;) Is there any problem with CMake? If not, leave it.
It has no good documentation. Anywhere. That's the biggest complaint everyone has.
I use the latest build of SFML2

Klaim

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:54:04 pm »

I agree.

However, I have personally some problems with CMake so if it was my project I would have invested some time :D

Maybe if me or someone else can try the conversion, it would help Laurent. I can't until next year TT__TT but maybe I'll be able to help later.

CodeRarity

• View Profile
    • Email
Premake
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 05:58:12 pm »

http://industriousone.com/debugdir

Works in Visual Studios. Enough said*.

EDIT: on that note, CMake may have no intention of adding this, judging by the way the write about it here. This may not be relevant for SFML except for the examples, but it'd be nice for SFML to use Premake as well as my own projects.

*Not really, I had more to say.

Richy19

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 06:16:28 pm »
you could always give the premake script and the cmake together.

CodeRarity

• View Profile
    • Email
Premake
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »
It'd be a lot of work to update both build systems though.

Svenstaro

• View Profile
Premake
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:17:13 pm »
I feel rather comfortable in CMake and the script language is really the only thing I dislike. It is easy to make a cross-platform project with CMake and it has a lot of Find* scripts to locate things on various systems even when cross-compiling.

Premake might have all that but seriously, CMake works and isn't broken. What is the issue here?

CodeRarity

• View Profile
    • Email
Premake
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »
Quote from: "Svenstaro"
I feel rather comfortable in CMake and the script language is really the only thing I dislike. It is easy to make a cross-platform project with CMake and it has a lot of Find* scripts to locate things on various systems even when cross-compiling.

Premake might have all that but seriously, CMake works and isn't broken. What is the issue here?

Was the build system in place before CMake broken? Probably not.

anything