Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: About SFML version 2  (Read 1472 times)

pavanetti

• View Profile
About SFML version 2
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:32:14 am »
I want to know about SFML2. What are the main changes from the previous version 1.6?
  From what I understand today, sf::String now is called sf::Text and the current sf::String is to handle strings, now drawable texts. sf::Image   still represents a bitmap, but sf::Texture is used for rendering and is armazened in gpu memory.
  Am I right? And about performance? What was improved?
  Is it recommended to use sfml2 or is better I continue using sfml1.6? I see many projects like Thor and Sfengine using SFML2. Is it stable enough?
Speaking of which, I remembered Thor. When I would use the previous version, you could not sar Thor. But I'm thinking of using this version, so I'll learn how to work in thor. Mainly because she has a nice particle system. The system of particles Spark is also good, but difficult to configure it in linux.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
About SFML version 2
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:42:25 am »
SFML2 is far more stable than SFML1. I believe someone (probably Nexus) compiled a list of changes between SFML1 and SFML2.
I use the latest build of SFML2

pavanetti

• View Profile
About SFML version 2
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:45:30 am »
And how do I make a screenshot now? Before I'd use RenderWindow::Capture. But I saw a change and this was make by Image::CopyScreen. But I don't find this method now! Is there any method to do a screenshot yet?
=======================================
Had RenderWindow::Capture go back? It's in documentation. o_O
Where I saw that now the method is Image::CopyScreen?

pavanetti

• View Profile
About SFML version 2
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:00:13 am »
The problem is that I'm trying to compile sfengine. But its use an old SFML2 snapshot. Many methods and classes are changing. For example, now I get an compiler error that sf::Input is not declared. And I saw in documentation sf::Input does not existe now. I don't who is the author of sfengine, but perhalps I send my changes. I'm adapting sfengine to last sfml snapshot. I want to make this works.
I am already two hours in this loop:

while (!lib.Compile()) {
.   SeeCompilerError();
.   GoToLineError();
.   ReadDocAt("www.sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0");
.   while(!FindASolution()) {    
.     ReadDocAgain();
.     if(!FindASolutionYet())
.       ReadTheForum();
.  }
}

anything