Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ?  (Read 4121 times)

BeginnerSFML

?
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »
?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 02:41:00 am by BeginnerSFML »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Starting with SFML
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »
I think SFML is ideal for you. It covers a huge amount of basic functionality, so that you can abstract from low-level mechanism you usually need in engines. For more elaborated tasks, there are also some extensions that can be found on the Wiki. Especially if you already have some experience with other frameworks, SFML shouldn't be a problem.

Even if it might be more difficult in the beginning, I recommend to start with SFML 2 instead of SFML 1.6. Many parts of the API have changed, and a lot of bugfixes and new features are available.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Starting with SFML
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:38 pm »
However I am a bit concerned about the fact that SFML uses OpenGL instead of DirectX. I haven't read detailed documentation about this, but as far, as I know, OpenGL isn't usually used in "quality" titles, as well as any bigger titles. Of course mine isn't going to be very big title or anything, but what I'm implying is that it must lack some functionality.

This is totally wrong, OpenGL is as good as DirectX. And if it lacks features, it's usually the latest ones that only the most recent GPUs provide (however they are usually available through extensions anyway). SFML is faaaaaaar away from these features, it only uses basic 2D stuff. So really, don't worry.

I am wondering, why do SFML needs to run in a console mode?

It doesn't. Don't create a console project and you won't get one ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Starting with SFML
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:19:27 pm »
Quote from: "BeginnerSFML"
By the way, if I will need some help (and I will certainly need it, that is one of the reasons I've created this topic), should I expect help from around here, or I should seek it somewhere else? In other words: is SFML forum active for advices/problem solution help or not?
This forum is the best place to get help concerning SFML. There is a subforum for each SFML component as well as a "General" section ;)

But you should read the tutorials (for 1.6, with some changes they can be applied to SFML 2) as well as the documentation before asking.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Starting with SFML
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:22:40 pm »
Quote from: "BeginnerSFML"
However I am a bit concerned about the fact that SFML uses OpenGL instead of DirectX. I haven't read detailed documentation about this, but as far, as I know, OpenGL isn't usually used in "quality" titles, as well as any bigger titles. Of course mine isn't going to be very big title or anything, but what I'm implying is that it must lack some functionality. Just some food for thought.

Where do you get from that? Several big titles on Windows are OpenGL. All games of Id Software are OpenGL. All PS3 games uses OpenGL. All games on embedded devices are OpenGL. There is a huge amount out there in OpenGL. Both old and new games. OpenGL is the most used graphics API.

List of games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs

To further this. DirectX has for several years thrived to reach to OpenGL's level which it hasn't until the later years.

But as Laurent said, SFML provides a 2D layer ontop of OpenGL you don't have to concern yourself with these things. Why someone chooses between OpenGL or DirectX is more a matter of taste than functionality or performance. OpenGL and DirectX is equal in both. What is different is only the interface.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Starting with SFML
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 07:48:16 am »
It was giving me some errors until I did

On Windows, non-console projects usually have a different entry point (WinMain instead of main). You must link to sfml-main in order to keep a standard main().

DirectX has for several years thrived to reach to OpenGL's level which it hasn't until the later years

I think it's the other way round ;)
In the past, when OpenGL was maintained by the ARB committee, there could have been many months (or years!) before a new feature was integrated to the spec. Microsoft, which is the only owner of DirectX, had no problem to add new stuff to the Direct3D API.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Starting with SFML
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:18:46 am »
Maybe it was but what I remember the old versions of DirectX was said to have been a pain to work in and we have the whole scandal of the showdown between the two API's and Microsoft made an intentional slow driver for OpenGL or something like that.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

meissner61

• View Profile
    • Email
Starting with SFML
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »
Doesnt every single game that has 3d graphics on some other OS besides windows use OpenGL? I know id software use openGL for all their titles and - I remember wolfire has some article about why they use openGL http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

anything