Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.0 installation on Mac OSX Lion  (Read 2907 times)

DigiByte

• View Profile
SFML 2.0 installation on Mac OSX Lion
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:26:33 am »
hello readers,

i just bought a new macbook pro, and it is still difficult to learn everything over again, and i would love it to program games and other stuff with sfml on my lovely mac. It wasn't difficult to install sfml on my windows pc, because there are many tutorials, but to install sfml on a mac, there aren't good tutorials...So i registered me here to get some help :)

So, i installed Xcode, but i installed also QT4 with the QT creator IDE, in which i was used to program with on my windows pc. I don't know what's the best IDE to install sfml, but i prefer QT creator. But if it is too difficult for me to install it on my mac with QT creator, then it's no problem for me to install it with Xcode.

If you guys can tell me step by step what i have to do to set sfml up on my mac, you'll be my hero :) It doesn't really matter if it is with QT creator or with Xcode, but just like i said, i'm used to program in QT creator on my windows machine, so it would be nice if i could program in QT creator with sfml.

Thank you, Digibyte.
having some troubles installing SFML on my mac...

Bitbridge

• View Profile
    • Manuel Reinfurt - Website
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:09:12 pm »
I'd use Xcode since I really enjoy it. It's also pretty easy to install SFML, just look at the tutorial over here (sbroadfoot90's post). Using SFML with Xcode probably is easier, too, since there are Xcode 4 templates already.

DigiByte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »
i also saw that topic, but i'm used to work with QT creator, so i would love to make it working with qt creator....

Can somebody help me please? I really don't know what to do, on windows i just had to type something in the *.pro file or something and it worked, but on mac i really don't know what to do, cause there doesn't exist DLL's on mac etc...

Bitbridge

• View Profile
    • Manuel Reinfurt - Website
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:37:03 pm »
I can't exactly say what you have to do when using Qt Creator, however, you should install SFML 2 the same way, just not the Xcode 4 templates. This way, your SFML2 include files will be in /usr/local/include, which means Qt Creator should find them.

The SFML2 libraries will be installed to /usr/local/lib/. I think you'll just have to specify them somewhere in Qt (probably the same way when using Windows). Their names are like this: libsfml-graphics-d.dylib

I've just googled a bit, but I think you'll have to create just 2 lines in your *.pro file (like you're used on Windows):

Code: [Select]
LIBS        += /usr/local/lib/      
INCLUDEPATH += /usr/local/include

Then just link your libraries using your project settings (or something like that).

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »
QT is not Qt ! QT is QuickTime.

Now, about Qt. I'm not used to this IDE. In fact I've never used it before. But I guess you can find a tutorial for another library (SDL for example) and only change the names.
SFML / OS X developer

DigiByte

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »
thanks for the reactions  :)

I didn't try it yet, but I think I'm gonna try it tomorrow or somewhen. I installed Qt, but I also installed Xcode, so if it doesn't work on Qt, I'll just try it on Xcode.

@ Codevine: Thanks for your reply, I hope I'll get it working with Qt on the way you described. But it can't be that hard, isn't it?  :)

@ Hiura: Now happy? I this post I typed every time"Qt" :)   And if I can't find out how to install it with SFML, I also think it will maybe useful to look at the SDL tutorials. Also thanks for the reply!

DigiByte.