Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: FlexWorld  (Read 21610 times)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
FlexWorld
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »

About

FlexWorld is a flexible open-content 3D single- and multiplayer game with a highly modifiable world.

Originally inspired by Ultima Online and its free-shard community, FlexWorld tries to provide an environment where you can not only play, but also get creative and develop.

The game uses 3D graphics and a fixed grid for its maps, resulting in completely modifiable terrains and structures. Everything in the game is designed to be modular, including 3D models, textures, sound effects and game logics.

For the latter FlexWorld includes the Lua scripting language. Everything that happens in-game can be fully scripted.

Due to the nature of the project, one can't clearly tell what FlexWorld is about in detail, because what you do with it highly depends on the content you're about to use. The first official release will include an RPG-like game mode with 3 tribes, where your goal is to choose between one of them and gain might and power by fighting, trading or improving the tribe's status in other ways.

Current state

FlexWorld has been in development since March 2011 and got a partial rewrite in August/September 2011. The project is still in pre-alpha status which means it's very technical and not very playable yet.

However a lot of internal things are already done and stable, like rendering maps and objects, a graphical user interface, Lua scripts, resource import, multiplayer capatibilities and much more.

For news, media and more information, including how to fund the project or apply as a tester, visit its official website. We'd love to hear from you!

Some details for the techies

SFML is used for OpenGL context creation, window and event management, image loading routines, sound and simple 2D graphics. The 3D graphics are done using a self-written scene-graph called FWSG. Logics are powered by Lua and calculated using a self-written component-based system library. The graphical user interface is rendered by libRocket (a quite dead project, so beware if you're planning to  use it!). Networking is powered by the Boost Asio library.

At the moment of writing this, the project (including libraries that have been developed for it) consists of 19,184 lines of C++ source code (without comments and blank lines, pure code) and follows the test-driven development workflow and is being developed in an agile manner (Pomodoro, Scrum). The team is staffed by 1 C++ developer, 1 web developer, 12 game testers and bug hunters, 1 artist and 1 musician.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:27:27 pm by Tank »

fatum

• MSN Messenger - bowsers7@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - therealblah569
    • View Profile
    • http://boards.psynetfm.com
FlexWorld
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:19 am »
Wow, looks very interesting.  Good luck in getting adequate funds!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
FlexWorld
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:36:18 am »
Sounds still nice!  :D
A bit more details would have been nice, but I've already seen a bit more than the most. :-P

You're talking in the 'we'-form at IndieGoGo - are you refering to your multiple personalities or is there someone else (which didn't get mentioned or so)?  :wink:

I may consider contributing but as a student money is mostly short...
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
FlexWorld
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
Quote from: "fatum"
Wow, looks very interesting.  Good luck in getting adequate funds!

Thank you!

A bit more details would have been nice, but I've already seen a bit more than the most.  

More details will follow as soon as the proper areas are considered stable. I don't want to publish info/screenshots of ugly-looking and unstable stuff. ;)

ou're talking in the 'we'-form at IndieGoGo - are you refering to your multiple personalities or is there someone else (which didn't get mentioned or so)?

:D At least two others guys are going to test the scripting API, and one of them will do large portions of the Factions game mode.

I may consider contributing but as a student money is mostly short...

No problem at all! If people like the idea I'm already kinda satisfied. ;)

Edit: Link to website added.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
FlexWorld
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
Small update:

We've published some screenshots that show the GUI. You can find them in the blog. The GUI is fully functional and settings are saved persistently, of course.

There you'll also find the first post of the "in-depth series", which describe several features of FlexWorld in a very technical manner. It's primarily aimed at programmers who're interested in some internals.

We're still working very hard to get some screenshots from in-game, however the switch to test-driven development is still in progress and I highly doubt you're interested in seeing screenshots of the unit test framework's output. ;)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
FlexWorld
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
Update:

We just completed the first version of the planet renderer and would like to show you guys one screenshot of it -- exclusively for this forum, they're not shown anywhere else. ;)

The renderer takes any 3D models (simple cubes, cones, spheres or even complex stuff; you can create models yourself if you wish and convert them to FlexWorld's own model format using a tool that's included in future releases; the converter tool reads 3DS, Blender, Collada, DX, OBJ and many many more) and textures, puts them together and applies some optimization steps to make the experience nice and fast.

At the moment the test planet doesn't look very exiting, because we didn't spend much time doing fancy things. That's up to our testing team when modifying the world in-game is possible, which leads me to another topic:

The next two steps are re-implementing entities (game objects, like weapons, characters etc.) and the Lua scripting API that controls the FULL logic of a FlexWorld gaming session.

Here's a screenshot:

You can actually see two shots, one with regular filling and the other one with wireframes. The planet you're looking at consists of a "floor" (built by cubes, whereas the cube has been modeled and UV-mapped in Blender) and a pyramid built of cubes that shows a test texture for ensuring UV coordinates are correctly imported.

Both geometry variants have been specified in "FlexWorld classes" before with a YAML syntax. That means you're very flexible in terms of what kind of stuff you want in your gaming session. Models and textures can even be reused or differently combined (in the screenshots the same model was reused, just the texture got defined differently).

Besides of the graphical part everything you see on the screenshot has been sent over the network part by part in realtime.

Stay tuned for more updates and make sure to checkout our website regularly. And as always: If you've got questions or anything else, reply! :-)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
FlexWorld
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:17:32 pm »
The project sounds interesting, however the descriptions are a little bit too abstract in my opinion. It somehow reminds me of MineCraft, yet I can't really imagine how the gameplay will look or what will be the challenge and goal of the game. ;)

You also want to provide actually everything (unlimited game modes, models, etc.). While it is good to have user-based content and leave much room for creativity, I guess it wouldn't be bad to have a somehow narrower concept in the beginning. If people have a clearer idea of your game, they feel more addressed and are likelier to play it. Also, the risk of a giant, never-finished work is smaller. Extensions are still possible in later versions...

That's just my impression, I'm aware that there are many things to do until the project becomes ready. And I'm looking forward to hearing of more, maybe more concrete, details about FlexWorld! :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
FlexWorld
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »
Well putting out a actual gameplay video would be awesome :D
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
FlexWorld
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »
It sounds promising, but I will be honest, with the information given, I don't really understand what exactly it is about.

The concept is looking a little generic, while it does create a big expectation from us :)

What about a concrete example of what to do with it?

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
FlexWorld
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:56 am »
The project sounds interesting, however the descriptions are a little bit too abstract in my opinion. It somehow reminds me of MineCraft, yet I can't really imagine how the gameplay will look or what will be the challenge and goal of the game.

The first one comparing FlexWorld with Ultima Online will get a cookie from me. ;-) Seriously: The design of FlexWorld is highly inspired by Ultima Online, which *basically* is a role-playing game in a specific setting.

Due to some people building server emulators and reverse-engineering the file formats, it became one of the biggest MMORPG toolkits available, which is the reason why that game is still being played by thousands of people.

Now I don't want to clone Ultima Online (there's already one), and I don't want to clone Minecraft (does exist already, too). My goal is create an environment (mostly technically) similar to Ultima Online. Minecraft was a good inspiration for the graphics part (not the style, still talking about technically things here).

That's still very abstract and it's really hard to tell how concrete a gaming session will look like. The very first impressions will arise when game logics are being scripted, tested and evaluated. We've got a couple of people who're brainstorming, creating ideas and interesting concepts that'll be tried out to get an interesting experience.

You also want to provide actually everything (unlimited game modes, models, etc.). While it is good to have user-based content and leave much room for creativity, I guess it wouldn't be bad to have a somehow narrower concept in the beginning.

WE do not want to provide everything. :-) We're trying to create an interesting game, but let the user the freedom to manipulate, extend or start from scratch to try out own ideas. FlexWorld is very much designed to allow that.

FlexWorld will include a game mode called "Factions" in the beginning that mixes some key features like character building, adventuring, economy and fighting. The website already tries to give a rough idea about Factions. However I understand that someone not involved won't directly see what the heck it's all about. ;-)

It's important to differentiate between FlexWorld and Factions (for example!). Factions is developed using FlexWorld's techniques, like a dynamic 3D world, logics through Lua scripts, the asset pipeline (models, textures, classes, ...) etc. So basically we could also call Factions a "reference implementation", which is of course just *one* implementation. FlexWorld is not tied to one end-product, or one specific game. It's more tied to specific resources that can be combined, changed and created in a lot of ways.

That's just my impression, I'm aware that there are many things to do until the project becomes ready. And I'm looking forward to hearing of more, maybe more concrete, details about FlexWorld!

More details will follow in a not so long period. We're currently working hard to get the sub-systems ready for game logics and interactions within the world, which means that the "fun part" in the end-user's perspective will begin. :-)

You mentioned it: There're many things that have to be done – but there're also a lot of things that are already completed, like networking (both local and remote sessions, singleplayer and multiplayer), accounting, dynamic resource management with automatic download of missing assets, 3D renderer for dynamic (i.e. a highly modifyable) environments and much more.

Well putting out a actual gameplay video would be awesome

I fully agree to that, and I'd really love to fire up the game, click on "Record", do some fancy things and upload an episode every 2nd day. :-) However I'm really afraid you guys would be bored. Just think about how a game looks like (I guess many of us are here for writing them) when it's in development: Developer art, testing assets, ugly-looking environments just to confirm everything's working etc.

We're working very hard to get the first (interesting!) screenshots ready and even a short video that finally shows some interesting things you can do. Just need a little more patience.. ;-)

There's one thing I want to point out: Thank you very much, all three of you. I was always curious about why there're no replies/questions/whatever. I think the project does currently feel "too chaotic" or not targeted to a clear goal. There're about ~10 people involved in the project (most of them being in the testing team), and we talk a lot on IRC so they slowly got the idea of what it's all about, but bringing the whole idea to the table in short words to a wider audience is a difficult task.

I'll think a little more about a good description about the project on the website.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
Re: FlexWorld
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:23 am »
Update from FlexWorld: We finally started implementing the Lua scripting API. For more details please check the following blog post: http://www.flexworld-game.com/blog/11/lua-scripting.html

In case of any feedback: Do not hesitate to reply! :)

aBallofWin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45:07 am »
This project definitively looks intriguing! Can't wait to see some action of it, but of course, take your time :)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:18:18 pm »
Thanks for your reply. The next post will contain some in-game/gameplay stuff, finally. ;)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 07:21:09 pm »
A small and fat man with an eye patch steps into the room, looks around and starts yelling: »Ahoy! We dispersed the coward Lubbers and threw some of them into the Bilge Rat! For all you travelers we've got some nice Grog and music played on Hornpipes. Smartly get on ship!«

(in case you have problems reading the text above: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howto.html ;))

Website updated and a happy April Fools' Day to everyone.

Bocaj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:45 am »
I'm sorry... but this sounds WAY too much like minecraft.