Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Raiders of the Galactic North  (Read 3440 times)

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Raiders of the Galactic North
« on: December 22, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »
Aight gonna show off my first 3D project I worked at together with Rimfrost Studios

I've already checked up with Laurent and It's okay that I post here, despite the fact that this actually got nothing to do with SFML. In fact it's developed using DX10 so you will need at least a DX10 compatible card and DX10 installed on your computer if you want to try it out.

The game is a 3D Space Shooter set in a setting where evil vikings raid your homeland and you have to defend it. It's a very small game and is only supposed to last for 30 min. It's a school project but we try to be as close to AAA games as possible with our work. It's very simple, very mainstream and should be easy to get into.

Reason for putting here is to ask for opinions, maybe people see something they think we should improve for the next game, what we might possibly done wrong and so on. But most importantly. We need a list of viable candidates for testing on our games. So if you are interested on that please let me know. We would really love opinions from other developers as we ourselves become blind to our mistakes as we become accustomed to them. Anything you got to say will be valuable to us. Especially if you would like to test our coming games. There will be three more projects before we are going away on internships(I'm aiming for Arkane Studios in France)

The game can be downloaded here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/d4xe0f
I might have to warn you that the voice acting is pretty horrible, it's just a student project so well I was the one doing the voices...  :twisted:
Everyone in my class wants to kill me know every time I does the Sarge's voice. You'll see ;)

Anyway for this project I worked as Tech Programmer, I was responsible for anything in the engine, I created the shader, lighting, HDR, Bloom, basically everything that made the game actually render. I was also assigned at the position as Code Lead and for a short duration as Art Lead as they didn't have anyone with enough experience so just to kick start everything.

Also if you got a question as of how things work, etc. I can do that for you, give you snippets or teach you how to do it or explain the fundamentals. But I am not allowed to release the entire source as it's property of the university The Game Assembly(This is so we don't start suing each other for ownership within the group, so it's for our own protection, the school is prohibited by Swedish law to profit on anything we do).
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Haikarainen

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:26:47 pm »
I'll check it out, gonna check out the sfmluploads-db settings to see if I can squeeze the game in there as well ;P Horrible downloadlink, bad speed and I had to play a game of "Find-the-non-ad-download-button" before i could start dlin it.

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28:06 pm »
Quote from: "Haikarainen"
I'll check it out, gonna check out the sfmluploads-db settings to see if I can squeeze the game in there as well ;P Horrible downloadlink, bad speed and I had to play a game of "Find-the-non-ad-download-button" before i could start dlin it.

Yay that would be so great :D Let me know with a link and I'll update the original post.

I tried to zip it as much as possible and with 7zip I got it from ~800mb to ~200mb and I thought that was pretty well done ^^

Haikarainen

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:11:56 pm »
Quote from: "Groogy"
Yay that would be so great :D Let me know with a link and I'll update the original post.

I tried to zip it as much as possible and with 7zip I got it from ~800mb to ~200mb and I thought that was pretty well done ^^

Lol I dont know what to say about the game. Enjoyed some bits of it, but think the gameplay could be way more speeded up and "fluid" by tweaking variables a little.

The voiceacting was .. hilarious if anything lol :D

Wasn't able to tweak the settings without breaking my db :S Btw your facebook link is broken

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:58:22 pm »
Lol I dont know what to say about the game. Enjoyed some bits of it, but think the gameplay could be way more speeded up and "fluid" by tweaking variables a little.

Ours were the easiest one to play actually ;)
But yeah there were a lot of variables that could have been tweaked to make the game much much more interesting... But when you've been working 24h straight trying to add the final touches and you have no real beta-testers, these things kind of just fly by you ;) That's what we want to fix.

The voiceacting was .. hilarious if anything lol :D
Hahah your just saying that to be nice ;)

Wasn't able to tweak the settings without breaking my db :S Btw your facebook link is broken
It's okay, and thanks for the FB link. Fixed now, didn't notice.

Haikarainen

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »
Quote from: "Groogy"
Ours were the easiest one to play actually ;)
But yeah there were a lot of variables that could have been tweaked to make the game much much more interesting... But when you've been working 24h straight trying to add the final touches and you have no real beta-testers, these things kind of just fly by you ;) That's what we want to fix.

Hehe, Here's what I'd do;
    Create more GUI (speed/thrust/health)
    Add more distance between objects as well as their velocity
    Make rockets fire from below you
    When you stop/reverse, make it add to the velocity so you dont have to hold it.
    Disable mouse acceleration in the menu

Hahah your just saying that to be nice ;)

Well, maybe :D I laughed alot so I'm not really lying

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:05 pm »
Hehe, Here's what I'd do;
    Create more GUI (speed/thrust/health)
    Add more distance between objects as well as their velocity
    Make rockets fire from below you
    When you stop/reverse, make it add to the velocity so you dont have to hold it.
    Disable mouse acceleration in the menu

That's helpful. More feedback/information to the player is required. Will keep it in mind for the next project which is RTS.

If you got anything else just spew it out. Any information will be helpful. If you got anything you find is a must for a RTS you can say that as well. (Game theme and mechanics is already set and implemented so can't come with suggestions there ;) but still needs information for the small things that makes the game more pleasant and raises the quality)

anything