Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Choosing a project  (Read 2074 times)

iHope

• View Profile
Choosing a project
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »
Okay, the subject can be "bit" incorrect. Im currently in situation, where I can't find a good project to start. I would want to make another re-make of game(Already did from Snake and Pong), but I can't find a good tutorial about another game to make. So, I would like to know if you guys know good tutorials. (Sorry about my english)

Walker

• View Profile
Choosing a project
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »
You generally won't really find tutorials on how to make a (complete) specific game and I would doubt their usefulness after they cover some basic features of a game.

If you've made (relatively) complete clones of Snake and Pong you should really be at a stage were you can make anything of a similar complexity (mostly older arcade games). However if you just followed a tutorial and you're a bit uncomfortable stepping out on your own, perhaps you could try adding more features to what you already have. Otherwise, Breakout is a pretty normal game for beginners to clone and has heaps of room for extra features.

I would avoid following a tutorial that "teaches" you to make a whole game. At some point you will stop learning and just be copying / blindly following instructions.

TheCake

• View Profile
Choosing a project
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »
Hi, maybe this article could give you some ideas ?

http://lazyfoo.net/articles/article01/index.php

iHope

• View Profile
Choosing a project
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »
Thanks for your answers! @Walker Your reply was really good and useful, breakout will be my next project. @TheCake Thx man. I know that page already(Started game making on SDL), but it's really good site to look for projects.