Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SDL->SFML conversion; very strange performance issues  (Read 16129 times)

ChonDee

• View Profile
SDL->SFML conversion; very strange performance issues
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:07 am »
Hi everyone,

As I have been browsing around about SDL, I saw SFML mentioned as a potentially better and more sophisticated API for certain purposes. I haven't had performance issues with my game in SDL yet, what made me try to convert to SFML is the scaling, rotation and some alpha blending features it has. Even though my game isn't crazy big, I have decided that I will first try to rewrite my very first working build, which I didn't divide to multiple cpp and header files yet, and was only about 1K lines.

After I have rewritten it successfully, and ran it in Debug (in Visual Studio 2010) I ran about 5FPS, or lower. After some searching around I saw it mentioned that the debug libraries are slower, I should use Release instead, so I did. When I ran that inside Visual Studio with F5 it was faster, but still unacceptable frame rate (60FPS is the target). When I just build an executable and run it outside VS it ran okay, but when I increased the particles drawn a bit, the performance dropped. When I compared the SDL build with the SFML build, the SDL one got better performance.

Since the SFML sample projects that I compiled with the exact same settings, in the same solution file ran with 1000+ FPS I have figured there must be something wrong with my code and I am probably misusing some expensive SFML calls.

Most of the game objects are added this way:
Code: [Select]

void World::explosion(int x, int y){
for (int i=0, r=((rand() % 100) -80); i < 120 + r ; i++){
int xx = x + rand() % 10 - 5;
int yy = y + rand() % 10 - 5;

Particle a(xx, yy, 6);
v_particles.push_back(a);
}

Every actual image is only loaded once, during the initialization, and every object only has a sprite associated with the image. The objects will be drawn later in the game loop.

Later I have discovered, that even if I don't draw the objects, don't use any SFML draw calls at all during the game loop, just have the c++ logic running, with vector.push_back loops, the frame rate drops drastically.

This would make me think that what I am doing is too expensive on the CPU, too many vector operations are going on, and this has nothing to do with SFML, but all this runs perfectly fine when I use SDL.

At this point I am not even sure what exactly to ask, or what information to provide. Is this something that has to do with my VS 2010 solution settings perhaps? How come the sample projects with the debug SFML library in visual studio (pong for example) runs 800+FPS, while my game only gets 1-5 with those settings?
I have removed event polling too and I have removed the clock to make sure I am not doing something bad with that, that would affect the frame rate.

It looks like that the c++ operations are the bottleneck, because the frame rate is the same even if I comment out the SFML draw lines, but with the exact same, unchanged logic, with the SDL solution and SDL calls runs just fine.

How should I try to tackle this problem, what do you guys think that causes this?
Let me know if you would need my settings, or parts of my code, or something

Thanks in advance

Here are the frame rates of the sample pong.cpp included with SFML, and with my project
All are compiled from the same VS 2010 solution file

pong | Debug configuration | Started with F5 (Start Debugging) : 130FPS
pong | Debug configuration | Started with CTRL + F5 (Start without Debugging) : 175 FPS
pong | Release configuration | Started with F5 (Start Debugging) : 700 FPS
pong | Release configuration | Started with CTRL + F5 (Start without Debugging)  1600 FPS

myGame | Debug configuration | Started with F5 (Start Debugging) : 0 FPS, didnt draw another frame for 20seconds
myGame | Debug configuration | Started with CTRL + F5 (Start without Debugging) : ~1 FPS
myGame | Release configuration | Started with F5 (Start Debugging) : 2-3 FPS
myGame | Release configuration | Started with CTRL + F5 (Start without Debugging) : 27 FPS

myGame with SDL calls, 60FPS fixed

coolhome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:10 am »
Oh wow :shock:! That is a huge difference. I'm sure its something you are doing with SFML that is very expensive. The first thing I would do to tackle this is review your code and take things out until you figure out whats the bottleneck. If you can share some of the code we can probably find the problem.

Best of luck!
CoderZilla - Everything Programming

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:22 am »
I have made an analysis with AMD CodeAnalyst for both the SDL and SFML implementation, and I have attached the relevant part of code that strains SFML, for both the SDL and SFML one.
Please take a look at it.

Thank you

This one is for the SFML code:

CS:EIP    Symbol + Offset                                                     Timer samples  
0xd33560  Particle::show                                                      73.98          
0xd31a70  Player::show_particles                                              13.12          
0xd36150  std::_Remove_if<Particle *,bool (__cdecl*)(Particle)>               9.28          
0xd37290  std::_Uninit_copy<Particle *,Particle *,std::allocator<Particle> >  0.9            
0xd32800  World::show_stars                                                   0.68          
0xd36ed0  std::_Find_if<Star *,bool (__cdecl*)(Star)>                         0.68          
0xd363c0  std::_Remove_if<Star *,bool (__cdecl*)(Star)>                       0.45          
0xd32630  World::show_enemies                                                 0.23          
0xd32790  dead_s                                                              0.23          
0xd33410  Star::show                                                          0.23          
0xd34d60  main                                                                0.23          

11 functions, 82 instructions, Total: 442 samples, 100.00% of shown samples, 2.27% of total session samples

So the way I tested performance, since in this early version of my game there aren't many objects, I increased the particles coming out from the player's thruster (in both SDL and SFML, the same number)

In the SFML one it seems like this takes up everything.

Here is the code for Particle::show:

void Particle::show()
{
    //Show image
if (initialized == false){
if      (type == 1) part = p1;
else if (type == 2) part = p2;
else if (type == 3) part = p3;
else if (type == 4) part = p4;
else if (type == 5) part = bparticle;
else if (type == 6){
  if ((rand() % 4) == 0)
  part = p1;
  else if ((rand() % 4) == 1)
  part = p2;
  else if ((rand() % 4) == 2)
  part = p3;
  part = p4;}
initialized = true;
}

if(alive)
{
part.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(part);

//apply_surface( x, y, part, screen );
    }

//Animate
//stuff here is not relevant, and its exactly the same in both

I'll put the same code here for SDL for comparison, so you won't have to scroll back and forth.

{
    //Show image
if (part == NULL){
else if (type == 6){
  if ((rand() % 4) == 0)
  part = p1;
  part = p2;
  part = p3;
  part = p4;}
}

if(alive)
apply_surface( x, y, part, screen );

//Animate

And CodeAnalyst result for the SDL code, Particle::show doesn't strain it as much at all

CS:EIP    Symbol + Offset                                                                                                                                                    Timer samples  
0xc05ab0  Particle::show                                                                                                                                                     7.09          
0xc08530  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator++                                                                           4.8            
0xc04fd0  apply_surface                                                                                                                                                      4.77          
0xc0a2a0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator==                                                                     4.64          
0xc08170  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::end                                                                                                               4.39          
0xc0bd00  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator++                                                                     4.27          
0xc0bc10  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >  4.23          
0xc0a140  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >              4.16          
0xc0bcc0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator*                                                                      4.15          
0xc02cb0  dead_p                                                                                                                                                             4.1            
0xc0bc80  std::_Iterator_base0::_Adopt                                                                                                                                       3.98          
0xc084e0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator->                                                                           3.95          
0xc0a1f0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator++                                                                           3.73          
0xc0bd50  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::_Compat                                                                        3.57          
0xc0a1a0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator*                                                                            3.53          
0xc085e0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >::operator!=                                                                     3.41          
0xc0f1e0  std::_Remove_if<Particle *,bool (__cdecl*)(Particle)>                                                                                                              3.15          
0xc11dd0  std::_Move<Particle &>                                                                                                                                             2.75          
0xc13d7f  _RTC_CheckStackVars                                                                                                                                                2.65          
0xc017fd  ILT+2040(__RTC_CheckEsp)                                                                                                                                           1.69          
0xc0f8d0  std::forward<Particle const &>                                                                                                                                     1.65          
0xc105d0  std::_Construct<Particle,Particle const &>                                                                                                                         1.61          
0xc03dc0  Player::show_particles                                                                                                                                             1.32          
0xc02e70  Particle::Particle                                                                                                                                                 1.11          
0xc09df0  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::_Inside                                                                                                           1.01          
0xc0def0  std::_Cons_val<std::allocator<Particle>,Particle,Particle const &>                                                                                                 1.01          
0xc0de50  std::addressof<Particle const >                                                                                                                                    0.95          
0xc13030  std::_Destroy<Particle>                                                                                                                                            0.92          
0xc081e0  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::push_back                                                                                                         0.9            
0xc12a00  std::allocator<Particle>::destroy                                                                                                                                  0.85          
0xc0ed60  std::allocator<Particle>::construct                                                                                                                                0.8            
0xc13d54  _RTC_CheckEsp                                                                                                                                                      0.8            
0xc09ff0  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::_Orphan_range                                                                                                     0.72          
0xc120c0  std::_Dest_val<std::allocator<Particle>,Particle>                                                                                                                  0.71          
0xc0f860  operator new                                                                                                                                                       0.63          
0xc0190b  ILT+2310(?dead_pYA_NVParticleZ)                                                                                                                                    0.22          
0xc05890  Star::show                                                                                                                                                         0.22          
0xc0c860  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator*                                                                              0.22          
0xc013d4  ILT+975(_RTC_CheckStackVars                                                                                                                                        0.21          
0xc09210  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator++                                                                                   0.21          
0xc047a0  dead_s                                                                                                                                                             0.19          
0xc08e40  std::vector<Star,std::allocator<Star> >::end                                                                                                                       0.18          
0xc0c8a0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator++                                                                             0.18          
0xc0102d  ILT+40(??D?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQBEAAVParticleXZ)                                                                 0.16          
0xc0147e  ILT+1145(?_Compat?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQBEXABV12Z)                                                          0.16          
0xc10190  std::_Destroy_range<std::allocator<Particle> >                                                                                                                     0.16          
0xc01785  ILT+1920(??E?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQAEAAV01XZ)                                                                     0.14          
0xc01915  ILT+2320(?showParticleQAEXXZ)                                                                                                                                      0.14          
0xc0c7f0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >                  0.14          
0xc0140b  ILT+1030(??8?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQBE_NABV01Z)                                                              0.13          
0xc0c8f0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::_Compat                                                                                0.13          
0xc011bd  ILT+440(??9?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQBE_NABV01Z)                                                               0.11          
0xc011e0  ILT+475(??0?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQAEPAVParticlePBU_Container_base0                                          0.11          
0xc0164f  ILT+1610(?apply_surfaceYAXHHPAUSDL_Surface                                                                                                                         0.11          
0xc01a87  ILT+2690(??E?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQAE?AV01HZ)                                                                     0.11          
0xc092c0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator!=                                                                             0.11          
0xc0ad40  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >                              0.11          
0xc01384  ILT+895(??C?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQBEPAVParticleXZ)                                                                0.1            
0xc0171c  ILT+1815(??$_MoveAAVParticlestdYA$$QAVParticleAAV1Z)                                                                                                               0.1            
0xc091c0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator->                                                                                   0.1            
0xc0ada0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator*                                                                                    0.1            
0xc01875  ILT+2160(??0?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQAEPAVParticlePBU_Container_base0                                               0.08          
0xc047f0  World::show_stars                                                                                                                                                  0.08          
0xc13610  std::forward<Particle>                                                                                                                                             0.08          
0xc13ce8  SDL_UpperBlit                                                                                                                                                      0.08          
0xc013b1  ILT+940(??E?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQAEAAV01XZ)                                                                0.06          
0xc0153c  ILT+1335(?end?$vectorVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdQAE?AV?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstd                                0.06          
0xc08b50  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::operator->                                                                               0.06          
0xc09930  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >::operator!=                                                                           0.06          
0xc01122  ILT+285(??2YAPAXIPAXZ)                                                                                                                                             0.05          
0xc01320  ILT+795(??$_ConstructVParticleABV1stdYAXPAVParticleABV1Z)                                                                                                          0.05          
0xc01627  ILT+1570(?_Adopt_Iterator_base0stdQAEXPBXZ)                                                                                                                        0.05          
0xc0a740  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >                      0.05          
0xc0adf0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator++                                                                                   0.05          
0xc0b340  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >                          0.05          
0xc0b4a0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >::operator==                                                                           0.05          
0xc11f80  std::_Move<Star &>                                                                                                                                                 0.05          
0xc01230  ILT+555(??D?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdstdQBEABVParticleXZ)                                                          0.03          
0xc013e3  ILT+990(??$_DestroyVParticlestdYAXPAVParticleZ)                                                                                                                    0.03          
0xc014b5  ILT+1200(?_Inside?$vectorVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdIBE_NPBVParticleZ)                                                                                    0.03          
0xc019ec  ILT+2535(??$_Cons_valV?$allocatorVParticlestdVParticleABV3stdYAXAAV?$allocatorVParticle                                                                            0.03          
0xc01a9b  ILT+2710(_SDL_UpperBlit)                                                                                                                                           0.03          
0xc01ab4  ILT+2735(?_Orphan_range?$vectorVParticleV?$allocatorVParticlestdstdIBEXPAVParticle                                                                                 0.03          
0xc02760  Enemy::move                                                                                                                                                        0.03          
0xc037e0  World::show                                                                                                                                                        0.03          
0xc07930  SDL_main                                                                                                                                                           0.03          
0xc09830  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >::operator->                                                                                 0.03          
0xc09880  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >::operator++                                                                                 0.03          
0xc09f20  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::_Tidy                                                                                                             0.03          
0xc0aea0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Star,std::allocator<Star> > >::operator==                                                                             0.03          
0xc0bb70  std::allocator<Particle>::allocator<Particle>                                                                                                                      0.03          
0xc0c320  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::_Compat                                                                            0.03          
0xc0ce30  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Enemy,std::allocator<Enemy> > >::operator*                                                                            0.03          
0xc11780  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::begin                                                                                                             0.03          
0xc12b80  std::_Cons_val<std::allocator<Particle>,Particle,Particle>                                                                                                         0.03          
0xc0115e  ILT+345(?construct?$allocatorVParticlestdQAEXPAVParticle$$QAV3Z)                                                                                                   0.02          
0xc011db  ILT+470(??0ParticleQAEHHHZ)                                                                                                                                        0.02          
0xc01217  ILT+530(?enemy_moveWorldQAEXXZ)                                                                                                                                    0.02          
0xc013c5  ILT+960(?_Compat?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVBulletV?$allocatorVBulletstdstdstdQBEXABV12Z)                                                               0.02          
0xc01451  ILT+1100(??0?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVStarV?$allocatorVStarstdstdstdQAEPAVStarPBU_Container_base0                                                     0.02          
0xc0145b  ILT+1110(?destroy?$allocatorVParticlestdQAEXPAVParticleZ)                                                                                                          0.02          
0xc01672  ILT+1645(??C?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVEnemyV?$allocatorVEnemystdstdstdQBEPAVEnemyXZ)                                                                        0.02          
0xc017ad  ILT+1960(??C?$_Vector_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVStarV?$allocatorVStarstdstdstdQBEPAVStarXZ)                                                                           0.02          
0xc01893  ILT+2190(?_Compat?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVStarV?$allocatorVStarstdstdstdQBEXABV12Z)                                                                  0.02          
0xc018d9  ILT+2260(??D?$_Vector_const_iteratorV?$_Vector_valVStarV?$allocatorVStarstdstdstdQBEABVStarXZ)                                                                     0.02          
0xc03bf0  World::show_player                                                                                                                                                 0.02          
0xc04550  World::show_enemies                                                                                                                                                0.02          
0xc06e30  Bullet::show                                                                                                                                                       0.02          
0xc07430  Collision_Detection                                                                                                                                                0.02          
0xc08060  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::~vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >                                                                       0.02          
0xc08100  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::begin                                                                                                             0.02          
0xc08c50  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::operator!=                                                                         0.02          
0xc09d80  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::_Destroy                                                                                                          0.02          
0xc0a510  std::vector<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> >::_Tidy                                                                                                                 0.02          
0xc0a7f0  std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::operator++                                                                               0.02          
0xc0a8a0  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::operator==                                                                         0.02          
0xc0abf0  std::vector<Star,std::allocator<Star> >::_Orphan_range                                                                                                             0.02          
0xc0bfc0  std::vector<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> >::size                                                                                                                  0.02          
0xc0c220  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >          0.02          
0xc0c290  std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >::operator*                                                                          0.02          
0xc0ea20  std::_Allocate<Bullet>                                                                                                                                             0.02          
0xc0ef70  std::_Unchecked<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >                                                                                                 0.02          
0xc0f0b0  std::_Rechecked<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > >                                                                                                 0.02          
0xc0f100  std::find_if<std::_Vector_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >,bool (__cdecl*)(Particle)>                                               0.02          
0xc0f190  std::_Unchecked<std::_Vector_val<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> > >                                                                                             0.02          
0xc0f600  std::_Remove_if<Star *,bool (__cdecl*)(Star)>                                                                                                                      0.02          
0xc0fb50  std::forward<Bullet const &>                                                                                                                                       0.02          
0xc117f0  std::vector<Particle,std::allocator<Particle> >::end                                                                                                               0.02          
0xc11d40  std::_Find_if<Particle *,bool (__cdecl*)(Particle)>                                                                                                                0.02          
0xc11ef0  std::_Find_if<Star *,bool (__cdecl*)(Star)>                                                                                                                        0.02          
0xc128a0  std::vector<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> >::_Ucopy<std::_Vector_const_iterator<std::_Vector_val<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> > > >                               0.02          
0xc13210  std::allocator<Particle>::construct                                                                                                                                0.02          

132 functions, 610 instructions, Total: 6224 samples, 100.00% of shown samples, 20.72% of total session samples

coolhome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:01:44 am »
What version of SFML are you using? What class is 'part'? That code seems fine to me. What happens if you comment out?

part.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(part);

EDIT:
Could you give the full class of Particle?

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:56 am »
Quote from: "coolhome"
What version of SFML are you using? What class is 'part'? That code seems fine to me. What happens if you comment out?

part.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(part);

sf::Sprite part;

Also, I commented the 2 lines out, so they aren't drawn here are the results

CS:EIP       Symbol + Offset                                                                        Timer samples    
0x13d3560    Particle::show                                                                         60.92            
0x13d6130    std::_Remove_if<Particle *,bool (__cdecl*)(Particle)>                                  21.2             
0x13d1a70    Player::show_particles                                                                 12.18            
0x13d3410    Star::show                                                                             2.22             
0x13d2800    World::show_stars                                                                      1.42             
0x13d6ed0    std::_Find_if<Star *,bool (__cdecl*)(Star)>                                            0.63             
0x13d2790    dead_s                                                                                 0.47             
0x13d6960    std::vector<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> >::vector<Bullet,std::allocator<Bullet> >    0.32             
0x13d6f50    std::_Uninit_move<Particle *,Particle *,std::allocator<Particle>,Particle>             0.32             
0x13d6c90    std::_Find_if<Bullet *,bool (__cdecl*)(Bullet)>                                        0.16             
0x13d7110    std::_Uninit_move<Star *,Star *,std::allocator<Star>,Star>                             0.16             

11 functions, 130 instructions, Total: 632 samples, 100.00% of shown samples, 2.49% of total session samples

So it still takes up most of the resources, without drawing the particles.

Here is the full particle class (without its methods)

class Particle
{
    private:
    //Offsets
    int x, y, xVel, yVel, type, life;  //type 1 to 4 fire, 5 laser, 6 explosion

//Current frame of animation
    //int frame;

//Type of particle
bool initialized;

public:
    //Constructor
    Particle( int X, int Y, int Type );

//Shows the particle
    void show();

//Checks if particle is dead
    bool alive;
bool vel_set;
//bool dead();
};

Same with the SDL implementation, only there part is not sf::Sprite, but a pointer to a SDL_Surface

coolhome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:27:00 am »
That seems fine to me also. You got something messed up somewhere :P

Later I have discovered, that even if I don't draw the objects, don't use any SFML draw calls at all during the game loop, just have the c++ logic running, with vector.push_back loops, the frame rate drops drastically.

The Particle class is actually being copied when its being pushed back. However I don't think that is why that would drop the frames.

Can you show me your main game loop? Can you also show the World?

I'm determined to find this >.<!

p.s. If you want you could just upload all of the code lol

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:08 am »
Thanks for your help :)

I might have probably messed up, or doing stuff unoptimized, or whatever, what my concern is that the EXACT SAME code is running with the SDL version only with different display calls, (which I even commented out in SFML) and it runs fine and fast in my SDL solution, and runs really bad in the SFML one.

I am starting to think that it might be something to do with the VS configuration...

I'll upload the code for both versions, but be warned, it's quite messy here and there, as that was the earliest version of my project

coolhome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39:06 am »
No problem. I got nothing else to do at this time.. I can't sleep lol. Anyways you can upload the visual studio project with it make my job easier on figuring out whats up with it. Are you using SFML 1.6 or 2.0?

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:40:33 am »
Here's the SFML version's code:
to make things easier you could just comment out everything other than show world, or show player, it will be just the same.

//#include <SFML/Window.hpp>
#include <SFML/Graphics.hpp>
//#include <SFML/System.hpp>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <time.h>
#include <list>
//#include <algorithm> // remove and remove_if
using namespace std;

//forward declare
class Enemy;
class Player;
class World;
class Particle;
//

//Screen attributes
const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 1280;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 600;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

// Create the main window
sf::RenderWindow App(sf::VideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP), "Rectangle Wars");

sf::Image background_IMG;
sf::Sprite background;
sf::Image bullet_IMG;
sf::Sprite bullet;
sf::Image player_IMG;
sf::Sprite player;
sf::Image star_bright_s_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_bright_s;
sf::Image star_bright_m_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_bright_m;
sf::Image star_bright_l_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_bright_l;
sf::Image star_medium_s_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_medium_s;
sf::Image star_medium_m_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_medium_m;
sf::Image star_medium_l_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_medium_l;
sf::Image star_dark_s_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_dark_s;
sf::Image star_dark_m_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_dark_m;
sf::Image star_dark_l_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_dark_l;
sf::Image star_shooting_IMG;
sf::Sprite star_shooting;
sf::Image p1_IMG;
sf::Sprite p1;
sf::Image p2_IMG;
sf::Sprite p2;
sf::Image p3_IMG;
sf::Sprite p3;
sf::Image p4_IMG;
sf::Sprite p4;
sf::Image bparticle_IMG;
sf::Sprite bparticle;
sf::Image shimmer_IMG;
sf::Sprite shimmer;
sf::Image enemy_IMG;
sf::Sprite enemy;
sf::Image gameover_IMG;
sf::Sprite gameover;

//The frame rate
const int FRAMES_PER_SECOND = 60;

const int TOTAL_PARTICLES = 100 *20;

//handle input relies on these
const int DOT_WIDTH = 30;
const int DOT_HEIGHT = 30;

//The event structure
//SDL_Event event;

class Particle
{
    private:
    //Offsets
    int x, y, xVel, yVel, type, life;  //type 1 to 4 fire, 5 laser, 6 explosion

//Current frame of animation
    //int frame;

//Type of particle
bool initialized;

public:
    //Constructor
    Particle( int X, int Y, int Type );

//Shows the particle
    void show();

//Checks if particle is dead
    bool alive;
bool vel_set;
//bool dead();
};

class Bullet
{
private:
friend void Collision_Detection(Player &p, World &w);
int x, y, type, life, erase_cooldown; //type 0 == player, 1 == enemy
vector<Particle> v_particles;
vector<Particle>::iterator v_particles_it;
public:
Bullet(int x, int y, int type);
bool alive;
bool to_erase;
void show();
void show_particles();
};
class Player
{
private:
int x, y;
int recharge;
int xVel, yVel;
bool fire_on;

vector<Bullet> v_bullets;
vector<Bullet>::iterator v_bullets_it;

public:
Player();
//~Player();
void handle_input();
void move();
void show();
void fire();
void show_bullets();
void show_particles();
int x_coord();
int y_coord();
bool alive;
int killcount_1;
};
class Enemy
{
private:
int x, y;
int recharge;
int xVel, yVel;
int type;
vector<Bullet> v_bullets;
vector<Bullet>::iterator v_bullets_it;

public:
Enemy(int Y);
bool alive;
void move(Player &p);
void show();
void fire();
void show_bullets();
void show_particles();
};

Enemy::Enemy(int Y)
{
alive = true;
y = Y;
x = SCREEN_WIDTH;
xVel = 2;
yVel = 0;
recharge =0;
}

void Enemy::move(Player &p)
{
    //Move the dot left or right
    x -= xVel;

//If the dot went too far to the left or right
    if( ( x < 0 ) || ( x + DOT_WIDTH > SCREEN_WIDTH ) )
    {
        //move back
        x -= xVel;
    }

//Move the dot up or down
    y += yVel;

//If the dot went too far up or down
    if( ( y < 0 ) || ( y + DOT_HEIGHT > SCREEN_HEIGHT ) )
    {
        //move back
        y -= yVel;
    }
if (p.y_coord() > y)
yVel = +2;
if (p.y_coord() < y)
yVel = -2;
if (abs(p.y_coord() - y)< 5)
yVel = 0;
if (abs(p.y_coord() - y) < 50)
fire();
}

void Enemy::fire()
{
if (recharge > 25) {
Bullet a(x, y, 1);
v_bullets.push_back (a);
recharge = 0;
}
}

bool dead_b(Bullet b){
if (b.to_erase)
return true;
else
return false;
}

void Enemy::show_bullets()
{

v_bullets.erase(remove_if(v_bullets.begin(), v_bullets.end(), dead_b), v_bullets.end());

//Show bullets
for (v_bullets_it = v_bullets.begin(); v_bullets_it != v_bullets.end(); v_bullets_it++){
v_bullets_it->show();
}
}

bool dead_p(Particle p){
if (p.alive==false)
return true;
else
return false;
}

void Enemy::show_particles()
{

v_particles.erase(remove_if(v_particles.begin(), v_particles.end(), dead_p), v_particles.end());

//Show particles
for (v_particles_it = v_particles.begin(); v_particles_it != v_particles.end(); v_particles_it++){
v_particles_it->show();
}
}

Particle::Particle( int X, int Y, int Type){
type = Type;
x=X;
y=Y;
xVel=0;
yVel=0;
life = 0;
alive = true;
//part = NULL;
vel_set = false;
initialized = false;
}

class Star
{
private:
int type; //1=dark 2=medium 3=bright 4=shooting
int size; //1=small 2=medium 3=large
int x;
int y;
int xVel;
bool initialized;
sf::Sprite star;

public:
Star(int x, int y, int type, int size, int xVel);
void show();
bool alive;

};

Bullet::Bullet(int ix, int iy, int itype)
{
type = itype;
if (type == 0){
x = ix+30;
y = iy+15;
}
if (type == 1){
x = ix-30;
y = iy+15;
}
life =0;
to_erase = false;
erase_cooldown = 0;
alive = true;

Particle a(x, y, 5);
//v_particles.push_back(a);

}

class World
{
private:
vector<Star> v_stars;
vector<Star>::iterator v_stars_it;
vector<Enemy> v_enemies;
vector<Enemy>::iterator v_enemies_it;

int frame;
public:
World();
void show();
void add_star();
void add_bullet(int x, int y);
void show_stars();
void show_enemies();
Player myPlayer;
void show_player();
void enemy_move();
// void show_bullets();
void show_particles();
void explosion(int x, int y);
};

World::World()
{
// X should not be a factor of screen_width, more like screen height
for (int i=0; i < (SCREEN_WIDTH/6) ; i++){
int randmX = rand() %SCREEN_WIDTH + 1;
int randmY = rand() %599 + 1;
int randmType = rand() %2 + 1;
int randmSize = rand() %2 + 1;
Star a(randmX, randmY, randmType, 1, 1);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}
//mid layer xVel 4
for (int i=0; i < (SCREEN_WIDTH/15) ; i++){
Star a(randmX, randmY, randmType, randmSize, 2);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}
//front layer xVel 8
for (int i=0; i < (SCREEN_WIDTH/30) ; i++){
int randmType = rand() %2 + 2;
int randmSize = rand() %2 + 2;
Star a(randmX, randmY, randmType, randmSize, 4);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}

//front front layer xVel 8
for (int i=0; i < (SCREEN_WIDTH/50) ; i++){
Star a(randmX, randmY, randmType, randmSize, 8);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}

//foreground line star layer Xvel 15, Type 4
for (int i=0; i < (SCREEN_WIDTH/300) ; i++){

Star a(randmX, randmY, 4, 1, 15);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}

}

void World::show(){
show_stars();
show_enemies();
show_player();
show_particles();
frame++;
}

void World::explosion(int x, int y){
for (int i=0, r=((rand() % 100) -80); i < 120 + r ; i++){
int xx = x + rand() % 10 - 5;
int yy = y + rand() % 10 - 5;

Particle a(xx, yy, 6);
}

}

void World::show_particles()
{

//remove/erase idiom
v_particles.erase(remove_if(v_particles.begin(), v_particles.end(), dead_p), v_particles.end());

for (v_particles_it = v_particles.begin(); v_particles_it != v_particles.end(); v_particles_it++){
v_particles_it->show();
}
}

void World::enemy_move() //commands all the enemies to take their move and gives them reference to the player object
{
for (v_enemies_it = v_enemies.begin(); v_enemies_it != v_enemies.end(); v_enemies_it++){
v_enemies_it->move(myPlayer);
}
}

void World::show_player(){
myPlayer.show();

}

void Player::show_bullets()
{

v_bullets.erase(remove_if(v_bullets.begin(), v_bullets.end(), dead_b), v_bullets.end());

//Show bullets
for (v_bullets_it = v_bullets.begin(); v_bullets_it != v_bullets.end(); v_bullets_it++){
v_bullets_it->show();
}
}

void Player::show_particles()
{

for( int p = 0; p < TOTAL_PARTICLES/4 ; p++ )
    {
        int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) +2;
int randmY = y +14 + (rand() % 29) - 14;
const Particle a(randmX, randmY, 1);

}

{
int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) - 5 ;
int randmY = y + 14 + (rand() % 12);
int negm = rand() %2;
if (negm == 1)
randmY = randmY - (2*(randmY - (y+15)));
const Particle a(randmX, randmY, 2);

}

{
int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) - 11 ;
int randmY = y + 14 +(rand() % 7);
int negm = rand() %2;
if (negm == 1)
const Particle a(randmX, randmY, 3);
}

for( int p = 0; p < TOTAL_PARTICLES/8 ; p++ )
{
int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) - 21 ;
int randmY = y + 14 +(rand() % 2);
int negm = rand() %2;
if (negm == 1)
const Particle a(randmX, randmY, 4);
}

//Show particles
v_particles_it->show();
}
}

bool dead_e(Enemy e){
if (e.alive==false)
return true;
else
return false;
}

void World::show_enemies()
{

v_enemies.erase(remove_if(v_enemies.begin(), v_enemies.end(), dead_e), v_enemies.end());

if (rand() % 50 == 0){
int randmY = rand() %(SCREEN_HEIGHT - DOT_HEIGHT) +1;
Enemy a(randmY);
v_enemies.push_back (a);
}

for (v_enemies_it = v_enemies.begin(); v_enemies_it != v_enemies.end(); v_enemies_it++){
v_enemies_it->show();
}

}

bool dead_s (Star s){
if (s.alive==false)
return true;
else
return false;
}

void World::show_stars()
{

v_stars.erase(remove_if(v_stars.begin(), v_stars.end(), dead_s), v_stars.end());

//adding stars to the right of screen
//furthest, slowest layer xVel 1 dark or medium, small or medium
if (frame % 6 ==  0){

Star a(SCREEN_WIDTH, randmY, randmType, 1, 1);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}
//mid layer xVel 2
if (frame % 15 ==  0){

Star a(SCREEN_WIDTH, randmY, randmType, randmSize, 2);
v_stars.push_back (a);
}
//front layer xVel 4
if (frame % 30 ==  0){

Star a(SCREEN_WIDTH, randmY, randmType, randmSize, ((rand() % 4) +3));
v_stars.push_back (a);
}

//front front layer xVel 8
if (frame % 50 ==  0){

Star a(SCREEN_WIDTH, randmY, randmType, randmSize, ((rand() % 6) + 7));
v_stars.push_back (a);
}

//foreground line star layer Xvel 15, Type 4
if (frame % 30 ==  0){

Star a(SCREEN_WIDTH, randmY, 4, 1, ((rand() % 15) + 10));
v_stars.push_back (a);
}

for (v_stars_it = v_stars.begin(); v_stars_it != v_stars.end(); v_stars_it++){
v_stars_it->show();
}

}

Star::Star(int ix, int iy, int itype, int isize, int ixVel)
{
x = ix;
y = iy;
type = itype;
size = isize;
xVel = ixVel;
initialized = false;
//star = NULL;

}

bool init()
{

// Create the main window
sf::Window App(sf::VideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP), "Rectangle Wars");

// Get a reference to the input manager associated to our window, and store it for later use
    const sf::Input& Input = App.GetInput();

//sf::Clock Clock;

return true;
}

bool load_files()
{

//Load the dot image
    //dot = load_image( "ship.png" );

//Load the background

if (!background_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/black.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

background.SetImage(background_IMG);

if (!bullet_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/bullet.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

bullet.SetImage(bullet_IMG);

if (!player_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/player.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

player.SetImage(player_IMG);

if (!star_bright_s_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/starbright_s.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_bright_s.SetImage(star_bright_s_IMG);

if (!star_bright_m_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/starbright.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_bright_m.SetImage(star_bright_m_IMG);

if (!star_bright_l_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/starbright_l.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_bright_l.SetImage(star_bright_l_IMG);

if (!star_medium_s_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/starmedium_s.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_medium_s.SetImage(star_medium_s_IMG);

if (!star_medium_m_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/starmedium.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_medium_m.SetImage(star_medium_m_IMG);

if (!star_medium_l_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/starmedium_l.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_medium_l.SetImage(star_medium_l_IMG);

if (!star_dark_s_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/stardark_s.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_dark_s.SetImage(star_dark_s_IMG);

if (!star_dark_m_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/stardark.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_dark_m.SetImage(star_dark_m_IMG);

if (!star_dark_l_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/stardark_l.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_dark_l.SetImage(star_dark_l_IMG);

//if (!star_shooting_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/star_shooting.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

star_shooting.SetImage(star_shooting_IMG);

if (!p1_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/particle1.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

p1.SetImage(p1_IMG);

if (!p2_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/particle2.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

p2.SetImage(p2_IMG);

if (!p3_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/particle3.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

p3.SetImage(p3_IMG);

if (!p4_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/particle4.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

p4.SetImage(p4_IMG);

if (!bparticle_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/bparticle.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

bparticle.SetImage(bparticle_IMG);

if (!shimmer_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/shimmer.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

shimmer.SetImage(shimmer_IMG);

if (!enemy_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/enemy.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

enemy.SetImage(enemy_IMG);

if (!gameover_IMG.LoadFromFile("recwar/gameover.png"))
{
    // Error...
}

gameover.SetImage(gameover_IMG);

//If everything loaded fine
    return true;
}

void Star::show(){
//determine type and size of star (only the first time)
//add bool for first init check
if ((type == 1) && (size == 1)) star = star_dark_s;
if ((type == 1) && (size == 2)) star = star_dark_m;
if ((type == 1) && (size == 3)) star = star_dark_l;
if ((type == 2) && (size == 1)) star = star_medium_s;
if ((type == 2) && (size == 2)) star = star_medium_m;
if ((type == 2) && (size == 3)) star = star_medium_l;
if ((type == 3) && (size == 1)) star = star_bright_s;
if ((type == 3) && (size == 2)) star = star_bright_m;
if ((type == 3) && (size == 3)) star = star_bright_l;
if ((type == 4)) {star = star_shooting; xVel = 30;}
initialized = true;
}
star.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(star);
//apply_surface( x, y, star);
x -= xVel;
if (x<0)
alive = false;

}

{
    //Show image
else if (type == 6){
if ((rand() % 4) == 0)
part = p1;
part = p2;
part = p3;
part = p4;}
initialized = true;
}

if(alive)
{
//part.SetPosition(x,y);
//App.Draw(part);

//apply_surface( x, y, part, screen );
    }

//Animate
    life++;
if (type <= 4 && vel_set == false){
xVel = ((rand() % 10) +10) * (-1);
vel_set = true;}
if (type <= 4 && life>(2 + rand() % 5))
alive=false;
if (type == 5 && life> (20 + rand() % 11))
alive = false;
if (type == 5 && vel_set == false){
xVel = (rand() % 5) -2;
yVel = (rand() % 5) -2;
vel_set=true;
}
if (type == 6 && life> (20 + rand () % 11))
alive = false;
if (type == 6 && vel_set == false){
int randmX = rand() % 6;
int randmY = rand() % 6;
if ((rand() %2) == 0)
randmX = -randmX;
if ((rand() %2) == 0)
randmY = -randmY;
xVel = randmX;
yVel = randmY;
vel_set = true;
}
if (type == 6 && vel_set == true && xVel > 0 && (life % 5 == 0)){
xVel -= 1;
}
if (type == 6 && vel_set == true && xVel < 0 && (life % 5 == 0)){
xVel += 1;
}
if (type == 6 && vel_set == true && yVel > 0  && (life % 5 == 0)){
yVel -= 1;
}
if (type == 6 && vel_set == true && yVel < 0 && (life % 5 == 0)){
yVel += 1;
}

x = x+xVel;
y = y+yVel;
}

Player::Player()
{
    //Initialize the offsets
    recharge = 0;
x = 100;
    y = 100;
fire_on = false;
alive = true;
killcount_1 = 0;
//v_particles.reserve(10000);

//Initialize the velocity
    xVel = 0;
    yVel = 0;

//Initialize particles
    for( int p = 0; p < TOTAL_PARTICLES/4; p++ )
    {
        int randmX = x - (rand() % 11);
int randmY = y + (rand() % 31) - 15;
Particle a(randmX, randmY, 1);

}

{
int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) - 5 ;
int randmY = y + (rand() % 12);
if ((rand() % 2) == 1) randmY = randmY * -1;
Particle a(randmX, randmY, 2);

}

{
int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) - 11 ;
int randmY = y + (rand() % 7);
Particle a(randmX, randmY, 3);
}

{
int randmX = x - (rand() % 11) - 21 ;
int randmY = y + (rand() % 5);
Particle a(randmX, randmY, 4);
}
}

void Player::move()
{
    //Move the dot left or right
    x += xVel;

//If the dot went too far to the left or right
    if( ( x < 0 ) || ( x + DOT_WIDTH > SCREEN_WIDTH ) )
    {
        //move back
        x -= xVel;
    }

//Move the dot up or down
    y += yVel;

//If the dot went too far up or down
    if( ( y < 0 ) || ( y + DOT_HEIGHT > SCREEN_HEIGHT ) )
    {
        //move back
        y -= yVel;
    }
}

void Player::fire(){
if (recharge > 10) {
Bullet a(x, y, 0);
v_bullets.push_back (a);
recharge = 0;
}
}

void Player::show(){
if (alive){
player.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(player);
show_bullets();
show_particles();
}
recharge++;
if (fire_on)
fire();

}

int Player::x_coord()
{
return x;
}

int Player::y_coord()
{
return y;
}

void Enemy::show(){
//x -= 1;
//move();
if (alive){
enemy.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(enemy);
show_bullets();
show_particles();
recharge++;
if (x<(-30))
alive = false;
}

//if (fire_on)
//fire();

}

void Bullet::show(){
if (alive){
bullet.SetPosition(x,y);
App.Draw(bullet);
if (type==0){
x += 25;
if (x>SCREEN_WIDTH)
alive = false;
}
else if (type == 1){
x -=15;
if (x<0)
alive = false;
}

}
else{
if (erase_cooldown >= 40){
to_erase = true;
}
erase_cooldown++;
}

show_particles();
}

void Bullet::show_particles(){

if (alive){
if (rand() % 10 == 0){        
int randmX = x - ( rand() % 50);
int randmY = y + (rand() % 7) - 3;
Particle a(randmX, randmY, 5);
}
}

//Show particles
v_particles_it->show();
}
}

void Collision_Detection(Player &p, World &w)
{
//player's bullet and enemy collision
//player: 30 x 30
//bullet: 32 x 4

for (p.v_bullets_it = p.v_bullets.begin(); p.v_bullets_it != p.v_bullets.end(); p.v_bullets_it++){
int leftB, rightB, topB, bottomB;
leftB = p.v_bullets_it->x;
rightB = p.v_bullets_it->x + 32;
topB = p.v_bullets_it->y;
bottomB = p.v_bullets_it->y + 4;
for (w.v_enemies_it = w.v_enemies.begin(); w.v_enemies_it != w.v_enemies.end(); w.v_enemies_it++){
int leftE, rightE, topE, bottomE;
leftE = w.v_enemies_it->x;
rightE = w.v_enemies_it->x + 30;
topE = w.v_enemies_it->y;
bottomE = w.v_enemies_it->y + 30;

if(( bottomB <= topE ) || ( topB >= bottomE ) || ( rightB <= leftE ) || ( leftB >= rightE )){
//int a = 1;
}
else
{
p.v_bullets_it->alive = false;
w.v_enemies_it->alive = false;
w.explosion(w.v_enemies_it->x + 15, w.v_enemies_it->y + 15);
p.killcount_1++;
}
}
}

int leftP, rightP, topP, bottomP;
leftP = p.x;
rightP = p.x + 30;
topP = p.y;
bottomP = p.y + 30;
for (w.v_enemies_it = w.v_enemies.begin(); w.v_enemies_it != w.v_enemies.end(); w.v_enemies_it++){
for (w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it = w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets.begin();
w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it != w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets.end();
w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it++){
int leftB, rightB, topB, bottomB;
leftB = w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it->x;
rightB = w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it->x + 32;
topB = w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it->y;
bottomB = w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it->y + 4;

if(( bottomP <= topB ) || ( topP >= bottomB ) || ( rightP <= leftB ) || ( leftP >= rightB )){
//int a = 1;
}
else
{
p.alive = false;
w.v_enemies_it->v_bullets_it->alive = false;
w.explosion(p.x + 15, p.y + 15);
//w.v_enemies.erase(w.v_enemies_it++);

}}
}

}

int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{

bool quit = false;
bool running = true;
srand( time(NULL) );
//App.SetFramerateLimit(60);
//App.UseVerticalSync(true);
while (quit == false && running == true)
{
if( load_files() == false )
    {
        return 1;
    }
bool player_dead = false;
World myWorld;

//While the user hasn't quit
    while( player_dead == false )
    {
if (myWorld.myPlayer.alive == false)
player_dead = true;

App.Clear();
myWorld.myPlayer.move();
myWorld.enemy_move();
myWorld.show();

Collision_Detection(myWorld.myPlayer, myWorld);
/*for( int p = 0; p < 1 ; p++ )
{
int randmX = (rand() % 11) - 21 ;
int randmY = (rand() % 2);
int negm = rand() %2;
if (negm == 1)
randmY = randmY - (2*(randmY - 15));
vector<int> vint;
vint.push_back(randmX);
}*/

//Update the screen
        App.Display();

}

}

return 0;
}

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:31 am »
Thanks, I'll upload the VS solution!

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:34 am »
Alright, here is the solution file
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HLFFZXNB

BTW I am using SFML 1.6

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:05:24 am »
Maybe you could post a minimal (yet still complete) code that reproduces the problem?

http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36368#36368

BTW I am using SFML 1.6

Try SFML 2, you'll get a huge performance boost if you use the same image for all your particles.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
Thank you for your comment, I'll try to replicate the problem somehow.
So far I don't quite understand it either, other than the same code runs faster in my SDL VS2010 project than in the SFML project, even if I don't even make the SFML display calls.

As soon as I figured out what causes this, I will switch to SFML 2, since I will be using a lot of particles and objects sharing the same sprites.

coolhome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:00:37 am »
Okay so I changed the TOTAL_PARTICLES to 80. I think 1000 was way too much. I built it in release mode and it had no problem running at all. Is there a reason why you had the number so high?

With that number being 1000 you would be creating 875 particles per frame in the Player::show_particles() function alone! With it being 80 its only creating 70. Assuming I understood your code correctly :P

ChonDee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 02:27:29 pm »
Quote from: "coolhome"
Okay so I changed the TOTAL_PARTICLES to 80. I think 1000 was way too much. I built it in release mode and it had no problem running at all. Is there a reason why you had the number so high?

Yes, there is

So the way I tested performance, since in this early version of my game there aren't many objects, I increased the particles coming out from the player's thruster (in both SDL and SFML, the same number)

Before I would rewrite my current progress, which is bigger than this early build, I wanted to be able to see how it would perform.

And it just bothers me so much that the particles stress the SMFL project much more, even without having them drawn, than the sdl one..