Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [WIP]  (Read 21741 times)

Dark2Dragon

• View Profile
Re: Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [DEMO]
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »
Be careful if you want to use the graphics from Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu if you intend to publish this game later.

The graphics are still under license from Square Enix. They released Secret of Mana for iPad / iPhone a few months ago.

Btw: nice engine. I´m working on something similar, too. For tests i use Graphics  from Terranigma ;D.

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 03:41:53 pm »

Just wondering how many areas do you have working since the only ones I could get into were the town and forest. Speaking of the forest, when you first enter it there's a massive lag spike that it calms down.

Lag! :o Thats bad! I will take  look at it.
You can get to a new area if you head northeast int the forest.

Are you using the Ringmenu?

Also when the town first loads at the start the other AI characters you talk to aren't in it, but when you leave and come back they are.  Just seems odd for some reason.

Yes , it's odd. But it was intended this way.

When you have time, please do me a favor: While the game is running press 4f. This will display the games fps.
Tell me, on average, what number you get in the different areas.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. :)

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:35 pm »
Be careful if you want to use the graphics from Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu if you intend to publish this game later.

The graphics are still under license from Square Enix. They released Secret of Mana for iPad / iPhone a few months ago.

Btw: nice engine. I´m working on something similar, too. For tests i use Graphics  from Terranigma ;D.

Thank you. :) Did the game run stable in your comp?

I'm just making a fan game. I hope Square don't mind.

Dark2Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 08:15:36 pm »
Did the game run stable in your comp?
Yeah, work on my i3 with Nvidia 610M without problems or errors on Win7.

Do you use Tiled as mapeditor (mapeditor.org) for your game?

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »
What!? Thats sad... :-[ I tested it in two comps and it runs. In the next update I will disable the shaders to see if you can run it.

Can you give me a quote of what the log says?

I can't copy/paste them so I can't give them to you as they are, but it's something about operand issues, might have to do with my GPU OpenGL version (?) since I have intel graphics. It also gives something about not being able to load a sound file. I'll post a screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »
The game looks really nice, I'll hope you keep working on it.

Here a few things I want to point out:
  • DEMO often gets interpreted as a simplified version of a commercial final product, thus the title can be misleading. Maybe you could use [WIP] (Work in Process) and since it's nearly expected that a post in the project section has an executable you wouldn't need to imply that there's something to play around with, but only to state the it's not a finished product. Then again this is just a tiny detail (and maybe a intelligent marketing move). :P
  • As mentioned before by others a nice GUI would give the game a much better feel and you could 'integrate' the SETKEYS executable.
  • You should provide options or key combinations to automatically change the window size (double, tripple, or similar), rather than just pointing towards the maximize button.
  • Maybe you should provide a bit more information on the game mechanics (how does the menu 'work', i.e. selecting & using items) and maybe some background information (i.e. some sort of a 'story'). A nice way would be to integrate this into the game itself, but it would already be nice to see this in the first thread post.
  • The console outputs this up on start: Failed to open sound file "lib/audio/sounds/ripper.ogg" (System error : The system couldn't find the specified file.)

Might have to do with my GPU OpenGL version (?) since I have intel graphics.
Can you specify, what GPU do you have, note not all GPU support shaders (or all versions of shaders). ;)

Quote from: kaB00M
The file size is under 8.0 MB. Thanks to zlib! :-)
7zip/LZMA brings this easily down to nearly 7 MB. :P
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 02:45:02 am »
lol seems the boss at the end has infinite HP and two of the charaters don't go into ghost mode and Timmer can still attack.  Looks like a case of == instead of <= for a checker from how things are acting.  Did that one time and didn't even realise it until the HP went into the negatives.  Doesn't show here since the displayers are fine but some other areas might have this issue.  Not sure if this is the issue but who knows.  In any events it's a good game but needs some work.
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:27 am »
Did the game run stable in your comp?
Yeah, work on my i3 with Nvidia 610M without problems or errors on Win7.

Do you use Tiled as mapeditor (mapeditor.org) for your game?

Yes, I'm using Tiled. I'm storing my map files as XML, as I don't know how to read the other formats. I suspect XML is slow, since I use std::fstream to parse the text. That causes some of the 'lag' when one changes from map to map.

@eXpl0it3r:

Thanks for checking the program out!  :) Your feed back and comments mean a lot to me, you being so an important member of this community. I will implement some of your ideas right away. Thank you.

lol seems the boss at the end has infinite HP and two of the charaters don't go into ghost mode and Timmer can still attack.  Looks like a case of == instead of <= for a checker from how things are acting.  Did that one time and didn't even realise it until the HP went into the negatives.  Doesn't show here since the displayers are fine but some other areas might have this issue.  Not sure if this is the issue but who knows.  In any events it's a good game but needs some work.

Ha! :) Thanks for playing the game to the end. It is too bad for that bug. I will fix it right away. Anyways, the boss haves 1000HP. I never defeat it, so dunno if it can be done.

Did it ever hit you with the 'Doom' magic? :)
Did you founded the selling cat, Neko?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:13:22 am by kaB00M »

masskiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:00 am »
Can you specify, what GPU do you have, note not all GPU support shaders (or all versions of shaders).

Intel Mobile Chipset 4th Family something, I've programmed and used some shaders, but there must be surely stuff that is unsupported given my laptop is around 4-5 years old (and it wasn't prime at the time it was bought).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:01:50 am by masskiller »
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 04:15:40 am »
I will make an update soon with an option to disable the shaders. I know your a gamer, so I want you, masskiller, to try the game.

Dark2Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 08:16:02 am »
Yes, I'm using Tiled. I'm storing my map files as XML, as I don't know how to read the other formats. I suspect XML is slow, since I use std::fstream to parse the text. That causes some of the 'lag' when one changes from map to map.
I also use Tiled. I think it´s the best mapeditor for a RPG.  :D

I store my maps with Base64Code, so it´s smaller. If you want, i can send u a decode class for Base64.
For parsing i use ifstream.

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:24 pm »

I also use Tiled. I think it´s the best mapeditor for a RPG.  :D

I store my maps with Base64Code, so it´s smaller. If you want, i can send u a decode class for Base64.
For parsing i use ifstream.

Please do!

@masskiller: I updated the game to make shaders optional. To disable, change the 'shaders' value in the config file from 1 to 0.

Please, tell me what you think.

Also,  now a gamepad can be used.

Dark2Dragon

• View Profile
Re: Seiken Densetsu/Mana Fan Game [WIP]
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 12:24:56 pm »
Here´s my decode class for base64
https://legacy.sfmluploads.org/file/152

Example:
std::vector<int> encodedFile;

encodedFile.clear();
encodedFile = decode::base64_decode(some_sBase64Code);

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < encodedFile.size(); i += 4)
{
        // Get the grid ID
        a = encodedFile[i];
        b = encodedFile[i + 1];
        c = encodedFile[i + 2];
        d = encodedFile[i + 3];

gid = a | b << 8 | c << 16 | d << 24;

// ... some other code to save the gid ID in a map...
}

I hope this helps you  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:26:27 pm by Dark2Dragon »

masskiller

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »
@masskiller: I updated the game to make shaders optional. To disable, change the 'shaders' value in the config file from 1 to 0.

Please, tell me what you think.

Finally got to test it. It's overall good, there's just a few issues I'd like to mention:

The SETKEYS.exe immediately sets the up arrow without asking, if you want to change that key you need go into the log. This might be a problem on my side (not sure), but if you leave the up key as default the characters go up even if the key isn't being pressed, it doesn't happen if you set any other key that isn't the upper arrow key.

There's the lag between screens when they need to shift, but you're already working on that.

Just as something personal, but I think that character's speech is better when in a speech bubble. It becomes clearer. In most RPG's when you open the menu you get a totally different screen that just by looking at it you can know what or how to use items, set abilities, etc.

Take for instance the characters/items menu in Golden Sun, you can pretty much know how to use it with just looking at it. A story and a way to talk to the townsfolk and entering buildings is something that should be there, but probably you're working on it already.

Pretty much what eXpl0it3r pointed out. Other than that it's quite good. I have never played Seiken Densetsu before (I've played other RPG's but not that one) and it got me interested into playing it.

The console outputs this up on start: Failed to open sound file "lib/audio/sounds/ripper.ogg" (System error : The system couldn't find the specified file.)

Good to know it wasn't just me.

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:08 pm »
Bump!