Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Vector Graphics?  (Read 8534 times)

GarrickW

• View Profile
Vector Graphics?
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »
So I'm working on an app that involves a great deal of zooming in order to refocus on smaller and larger objects.  The larger objects, though, need to look smooth even when focusing on the smaller objects, which can be many thousand times smaller.  So far, I simply use a stand-in sf::Shape::Circle for the larger objects, which is fine since it smooths with zoom, but I will want to add more visual detail in the future.  

If the smallest objects on-screen are 32x32 pixels, though, the largest ones need to be over 3000 pixels in diameter (in order to look good at close range), and I fear that loading that many huge images will be a problem (if it is even allowed by the hardware).

So I am currently using SFML 1.6.  Does it, or SFML 2.0, have support for vector graphics?  That would solve my problems pretty handily, I think.  I know I could split the images up into distinct parts, and I might do that, but I want to know what my options are.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:14:41 pm »
SFML doesn't support vector graphics, but other libraries do. Maybe you should find a tool that is more suited to your needs.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

GarrickW

• View Profile
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:18:14 pm »
Ah, all right then.  Thanks for the quick reply!

Elgan

• AOL Instant Messenger - Flat+1,+17+st+Cl
    • View Profile
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »
will it ever?

I have been thinking abut this...what are the chanced of openV ..is it openv...or something?

anyone ever played it

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »
OpenVG ;)

will it ever?

I don't think so. There are so many things to do before that.

Elgan

• View Profile
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:03:59 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
OpenVG ;)

will it ever?

I don't think so. There are so many things to do before that.

Ahh that's it! I knew there was something of the sort.

It would be very very interesting, I'm thinking maybe it would be very portable over tablets, phones too ..

if I do ever have time it might be interesting to look at how it can be ported, ive never done any vector stuff though, I'm no graphics guy..

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:27:56 am »
Before implementation, think about how it would be integrated in SFML (which module, which public API, how it interacts with sfml-graphics, ...). That's the major issue; implementation will then be much easier.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:06 pm »
If you are so interested in getting it integrated then why not try and do it yourself ;)

SFML is open-source so if you have an idea of an addition and Laurent don't have time to do it right now. Why not try and help out? Worst case: You just put it up on the Wiki for others to use as well.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Elgan

• View Profile
Vector Graphics?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:40 pm »
Quote from: "Groogy"
If you are so interested in getting it integrated then why not try and do it yourself ;)

SFML is open-source so if you have an idea of an addition and Laurent don't have time to do it right now. Why not try and help out? Worst case: You just put it up on the Wiki for others to use as well.

I was proposing I would, but I don't have time too, I was also asking if it would ever happen as a better job would be done than me anyway,

I would...once day, when I have time, if its not done, its not a rpiority right now for me either.

I would love to do it myself, I obviously have no idea, I don't even know how to make a graphic image outside of GD2!