Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Add support for custom refresh rates  (Read 23260 times)

Antidote

• View Profile
Add support for custom refresh rates
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:52:10 pm »
dunce, as your name implies your stupid, the response time IS the refresh rate, common companies kept using Hz based refresh rate for LCDs because of people who would become confused, watch an LCD monitor, reduce it's refresh rate to the lowest "supported", then increase it to it's max, what happens? Nothing. Because LCDs are ALWAYS at the response time they are designed to operate at, this is constant and WILL NOT CHANGE, trust me I didn't spend 11 years studying computers and relevant technology just to be lambasted by this.

Refresh rate is used ONLY with CRT's it's the amount the guns fire PER SECOND! Video tape a CRT then video tape an LCD, you'll notice lines going up the CRT, but the LCD is crisp as ever, LCDs don't have electron guns, therefore refresh rate doesn't apply in the sense of CRTs infact LCDs ONLY use Response time. read a tech magazine or an A+ CompTIA or Cisco approved book they will concur with what I have stated, I didn't earn my A+ by sitting around with my thumb up my butt doing nothing.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »
Quote from: "Antidote"
dunce, as your name implies your stupid, [...] trust me I didn't spend 11 years studying computers and relevant technology just to be lambasted by this.

[...] I didn't earn my A+ by sitting around with my thumb up my butt doing nothing.
Even your great knowledge is no reason to be that rude. Just try to stay objective, no one is in the mood for silly arguments here.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

l0calh05t

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »
despite his name, dunce is right, although using an incorrect terminology. "refresh rate" does technically only apply to CRT monitors, but LCDs also have a specific "update rate" (usually not related to the response time at all, although a 100 Hz update rate would be pointless with a 20ms response time), similar to the vertical refresh rate of old, which is usually fixed to 60 Hz.

dunce

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 06:13:03 am »
@ Antidote:

I guess no one here has any doubt about your great knowledges. Though I suspect you shirked your lessons from time to time during your study. :D I just wanted to say something close to following:

Refresh Rate:  The rate at which your video card is sending complete screens from its frame buffer memory to your monitor, and the corresponding rate at which the monitor refreshes the whole image.  60hz = 60 complete refreshes per second.

Response Time: The amount of time it takes a pixel to change from one specific color to another color in an LCD display.  Typically the figures are worst for certain colors, but if the refresh rate of the LCD monitor is greater than the response time of its pixels' crystals, blurring / ghosting will occur.

You may have a top-notch monitor with an LCD panel that gives you 2.8 msec of response time, but your OS will say to your videocard to send frames to it with the rate 75 Hz if you set it in accordance with the list of available freshrates of your monitor.

May be I could not explain this simple things because of my bad english as it is not my native language. :)

For those who need more info and do not have Antidotes's fundamental 11-years' knowledges and are not dunces like me here is a link to additional info: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_8.html
And of course, wiki is your friend as always.

Antidote

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »
Three tips: Be open, Be skeptical, Wiki isn't the holy grail of knowledge

EDIT:
I also apologize for my attitude, I was just having a bad day and i have no real excuse. dunce, you are correct in your above post, and despite English not being your native language, you are concise and understandable good job. I also got one of my facts incorrect, Refresh rate is how many times per second the guns fire Across the screen, in an Up, Down Left Right fashion.

anything