Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: why sfml is not on the wikipedia ?  (Read 5379 times)

dydya-stepa

• View Profile
why sfml is not on the wikipedia ?
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:55 pm »
why?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »
Ask wikipedia people ;)

There are articles in other languages. As far as I remember, there was not enough reliable sources talking about SFML -- only blogs and forums. But it's a software library so I don't know what else they expect to get as sources.

Anyway, create a page and see what happens, if you want :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
Maybe some SDL fanboys put all their effort into the deletion of the SFML article, hoping to limit the spread of the superior library :D

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFML. But that's ridiculous, in the long term SFML will certainly have its own article.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

nietaki

• View Profile
    • http://almost-done.net
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Simple_and_Fast_Multimedia_Library_(2nd_nomination)
"Simple and Fast Multimedia Library" -wiki -wikipedia -blog -forum, Google Web returns 151 results it deems unique.

Well that's changed now, it's 62k results, and SFML is in linux distros' repositories.

But it's not the first time clueless wikipedia admins refuse to acknowledge an existing topic due to its low notability, yet allow 7-page articles about fictional bands that have their 10 second appearance in a pop culture movie. Wikipedia is messed up like that.

But I think, that when SFML 2.0 comes out and we prepare (list of successfull projects using SFML, references in less forum/bloggy media) I think SFML can (finally) find its way to Wikipedia.

frosty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:50 pm »
Perhaps consider issuing a press release when 2.0 is ready? That may help generate some official coverage on more 'notable' tech/media sites.

heishe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
SFML has for a long time had a PR issue. It was always (imho) by far the best 2D C++ game library out there for people targeting linux/windows, for various reasons, and with all the improvements of 2.0 there will simply be no doubt at all.

But for some reasons the library still isn't known enough. When people on popular sites like stackoverflow (or gamedev.stackexchange.com, or gamedev.net... etc.) ask for 2D libraries and clearly state that they use C++, 90% of the time the first poster will still suggest SDL.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:04:47 am »
Well I can't say I've heard of any success stories with SFML compared to SDL. The only one I know from the top of my head is Atom Zombie Smasher which has been featured on popular channels on youtube.

Just the fact that SDL is originally developed from a guy who eventually got hired by Blizzard gives the library instant credibility. And before Blizzard he was part of some incredible games. Oooh god I loved Heretic!

If people develop something cool and put a "SFML" logo with it. People will of course take more notice and Wikipedia will have to put up a page. This is the most honest way according to me to get PR, really show what the library goes for. Heck if you don't got time to develop a whole game, put out a cool tech-demo using SFML and put it up on Youtube and brag about it on forums.

You can of course do more stuff to get noticed. Like Notch is doing to keep his PR up. He's not a good programmer or even a good game designer but he is good in keeping his face in the media.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Re: why sfml is not on the wikipedia ?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:25:44 am »
Actually I would like to add that I was watching the livestream that the game education at University of Skövde puts out for their first year students. Majority seemed to have been using SFML.

Ow and if anyone of you guys are reading this that attend that school. Drop out... really you guys won't learn what you need there. I'm saying this as a favour to you. Anyway can't get too much out of topic.

Maybe we should collect a big list of where SFML has been in use that might be of enough significance so that it can be put up on Wikipedia? For instance if it is used in indie games that are even available on Steam then I think it is of enough relevance to be put up there.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

danman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:38:43 am »
I want to notice that there is also that : http://www.questmachine.org/article/Simple_Fast_and_Multimedia_Library_ou_SFML
but it's in french, and just incomplete too.
Pointilleur professionnel

HKei

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »
I always thought wikipedias standards for notability were kinda silly, but whatever.