Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Window closes after 15 seconds of execution  (Read 1753 times)

Tobiski

• View Profile
Window closes after 15 seconds of execution
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:30:47 pm »
I have this strange problem where my game closes its window after 15 seconds.

I use code::blocks and to make things even more interesting it only closes the window on my laptop. If I run the exact same code on my desktop pc or my friends runs it on his own pc it works fine.

Any idea why this could happen?

Haikarainen

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »
We cant know until you give us some information. Give us the following:

Hardware and software setup on both computers. Give us:
Processor? (ex. AMD Athlon 645 x4 64bit)
Memory? (ex. 2GB DDR3)
GPU? (ex. AMD Radeon HD 6450 w/ 512 MB GDDR5 )
Operatingsystem? (ex Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit)

Can you reproduce the problem with minimal code? We'll need to see some code to help you debug it, but we won't go through > 50-100 lines for a stranger. Nobody does that unless its their birthday and they just won a kazillion on the lottery.

Reproduce the problem OR post the relevant code. Give us information on how you have attempted to debug it and your results.

"I have this rope, and I wonder if you guys can tell me how long it is?" - WRONG

"I have this rope, its about the size of a CD-Case, do you guys know how large a standard EU cdcase is? I'll also post a picture of it" - RIGHT

Tobiski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:39:36 pm »
Desktop pc: Intel Core2Duo e8400, 6GB DDR2, GeForce 8800GT, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Laptop: Intel Pentium P6000, 4GB DDR2, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I can't give exact piece of code since I don't know what it could be and tbh I don't believe it's code side problems since it works normally on any other computer I've tried.

Haikarainen

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »
Quote from: "Tobiski"
Desktop pc: Intel Core2Duo e8400, 6GB DDR2, GeForce 8800GT, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Laptop: Intel Pentium P6000, 4GB DDR2, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I can't give exact piece of code since I don't know what it could be and tbh I don't believe it's code side problems since it works normally on any other computer I've tried.

give us the code on how you open your window, handles its events , draws it. Anything to do with the window really.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
I'd say someone is playing taskkillerdoom remotely on your laptop. :lol:
No seriously why should we be able to guess whatever's your problem?
And that you think it's not even because of the code why should SFML be responsible for it, check your laptop. :wink:

The only thing I now could start at is that your specs aren't every highend and you may have some outdated piece of software running somewhere.

Try out diffrent code and figure out if it's because of the code you've tried or other code.
Show us the failing code as a fully but minimal example.
Use a debugger to find out what triggers the closing.
If you're loading some resources make sure they exist on your laptop too. (Many have some code like if(texture.LoadFromFile("bla")) return EXIT_FAILURE; and the application just closes leaving only a false return number as evidence).
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/