Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.0 RC  (Read 116356 times)

minirop

• View Profile
    • http://dev.peyj.com
Re: SFML 2.0 RC
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »
the « problem » is that :
    enum Key
    {
        A,            ///< The A key
nothing before so A == 0.
So something like :
    enum Key
    {
        Unknown,
should be enough (?)

Marukyu

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »
Ah, good point. I guess it would still be a bit cleaner to replace Keyboard::Key(0) with Keyboard::Unknown though. I wouldn't only call it a "« problem »" though. :p
It is an issue that can limit the usefulness of KeyEvents quite a bit.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2012, 11:31:39 pm »
It is indeed a major problem. I added sf::Keyboard::Unknown as suggested to solve it.

Thank you very much for your feedback :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Marukyu

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2012, 12:13:21 am »
Thank you very much for the fix! Glad I could help. :3

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2012, 09:02:37 am »
Can you tell us why these 300 KB are so important?
300 KB are not really important, but we can kill two birds with one stone here probably:

1) Get rid of 300 KB.
2) Get rid of default font crash bug.

Maybe you still remember my proposal from the past when I suggested to force the user to load a font. I really don't think that it would be complicated or annoying, it's as simple as:

sf::Font font;
font.loadFromFile( "foobar.ttf" );
sf::Text text( L"Hello", 12, font );

It's not the same, but you do it with images and sounds too, which is very reasonable. I still find it problematic that the library provides unmanaged resources.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:40 am »
Yes, I remember this solution everytime there's an issue with the default font. And I admit that it seems to be the best one so far.

However if I change anything in the public API, it must be done before SFML 2.0 is released... so I must take a decision quickly :-\

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:57 am »
Indeed. ;) The only thing which is a little bit more annoying is providing a standard font. I see 2 options here:

1) sf::Font::makeStandardFont: Returns a new sf::Font, font data is included in sources. Pro: Easy. Con: 300 KB extra, always.
2) sf::makeDejaVuFont: Returns a new sf::Font, font data is included in separate(!) header only. Pro: 300 KB extra only if being included, which is intended if someone does it (not included by SFML itself). Con: Annoying to use in-place, see below.

Option 2 would be for sure a compromise and still easy enough, I think. Ex:

#include <SFML/Graphics/DejaVuFont.hpp>
sf::Font font = sf::makeDejaVuFont();

A big drawback is the following, which is invalid:

sf::Text text( L"I will crash :-(", 12, sf::makeDejaVuFont() );

I can't think of a real solution to satisfy everybody, except shared resource management through smart pointers, but I'm sure you're already screaming right now. ;)

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:33 pm »
I could live without a default built-in font. And since I'm too lazy to implement my own OS #ifdefs maybe there could be a sf::Font::loadSystemFont(sf::String) that looks for that font face in the system font directory? With clever use of environment variables it shouldn't be too hard :)
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »
1) sf::Font::makeStandardFont: Returns a new sf::Font, font data is included in sources. Pro: Easy. Con: 300 KB extra, always.
2) sf::makeDejaVuFont: Returns a new sf::Font, font data is included in separate(!) header only. Pro: 300 KB extra only if being included, which is intended if someone does it (not included by SFML itself). Con: Annoying to use in-place, see below.
I like option 2. But then it becomes similar to providing the font file directly, the only difference is that with a header it is compiled directly into the final application. But then why not go further, and provide a generic system to embed any data into the application?

I can't think of a real solution to satisfy everybody, except shared resource management through smart pointers, but I'm sure you're already screaming right now.
Indeed :P
Smart pointers are not a big deal, but what's annoying is that they exist in C++11/TR1/boost, but as SFML has to remain compatible with pure C++03, I would have to rewrite it myself. But the name and API of the shared_ptr class would then be different. It's definitely too messy.

I could live without a default built-in font. And since I'm too lazy to implement my own OS #ifdefs maybe there could be a sf::Font::loadSystemFont(sf::String) that looks for that font face in the system font directory? With clever use of environment variables it shouldn't be too hard
That's a very interesting feature, and to be honest until now I avoided it only because there was a default font. But now, with the mentionned issues, I guess it would be a good moment for investigating that.

I'll take a look at Qt's source code, and see if the related code is not too complicated.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2012, 01:10:30 pm »
A drawback of the loadSystemFont solution is that it is impossible to guarantee that a given font will be available. Which leads to the "font family" system, ie. you give a more or less precise definition of the font that you want, with optional fallbacks, and the system finds the best match. It becomes already quite complicated.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »
No no no... I didn't mean it to be that complicated. loadSystemFont should just be an extended version of loadFromFile that searches known paths automatically. Like loadFromFile it would return false if the font doesn't exist on the system. Passing an empty string (the default) to loadSystemFont would load the default font for the system, whatever you choose it to be.

This solution would work for 99.99% of the userbase of SFML.

Windows users are the easiest. All their fonts are in %WINDIR%/Fonts and they always have Arial installed if thats what you want as default.
Mac OS X users I presume have the same situation as Windows users.
Linux users, most of them use one of the popular distros, would also mostly have the same paths and font faces installed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:23:36 pm by binary1248 »
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Andrei15193

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:56 pm »
the « problem » is that :
    enum Key
    {
nothing before so A == 0.
So something like :
    enum Key
    {
        Unknown,
should be enough (?)
A good option however it implies declaring another constant. Like you said:
#include <iostream>

enum TestEnum{a, b, c};

int main(){
    std::cout<<a<<" "<<b<<" "<<c<<std::endl;
    return 0;
}
Outputs: "0 1 2". However the following code fixes the issue for the enumeration start constant:
#include <iostream>

enum TestEnum{a = 1, b, c};

int main(){
    std::cout<<a<<" "<<b<<" "<<c<<std::endl;
    return 0;
}
Will output: "1 2 3". No extra constant required.

Docs: Other data types - C++.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »
A good option however it implies declaring another constant.
We want a new constant. sf::Keyboard::Unknown is much better than sf::Keyboard::Key(0), isn't it?

No no no... I didn't mean it to be that complicated. loadSystemFont should just be an extended version of loadFromFile that searches known paths automatically. Like loadFromFile it would return false if the font doesn't exist on the system. Passing an empty string (the default) to loadSystemFont would load the default font for the system, whatever you choose it to be.
I'm wondering is this is relevant. I mean, if I write an application and plan to distribute it, I won't rely on a specific font being present on the user's system. Instead I'll provide the font with my application for 100% safety.
So who would use this feature?

Andrei15193

« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2012, 06:51:14 pm »
A good option however it implies declaring another constant.
We want a new constant. sf::Keyboard::Unknown is much better than sf::Keyboard::Key(0), isn't it?
I thought you wanted the enum to start from 1 and not from 0.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
I thought you wanted the enum to start from 1 and not from 0.
No we don't care. The problem to solve was that 'A' and unhandled keys had the same code.