Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ruby Tutorials  (Read 7552 times)

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Ruby Tutorials
« on: April 21, 2012, 05:30:34 pm »
Alright I'll be writing some tutorials for Ruby pretty soon. I'm just checking what people want? If they are interested in tutorials at all and where do they want them? Do you guys want them here on this forum? On the SFML website or Wiki? Or maybe you want it on it's own webpage? Because I can do whatever.

I am also wondering what kind of format you guys want it? Text or video? Or both? If you have anything special you want me to cover like optimizations in ruby and "Good practices" and stuff like that I can include that as well but if I add further things that goes outside rbSFML and more to general Ruby then I have to separate it out.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Ruby Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
On the SFML website
I can put it with the other tutorials only if it's a "getting started" tutorial. But for anyting else, I can't help you.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

vivo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
Of course, I'm very interested in every doc wich could help to develop a rbSFML proyect, no matter where, if it's not here in the forum, you could post here the links to the tutorials, for instance.

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:54 pm »
Of course, I'm very interested in every doc wich could help to develop a rbSFML proyect, no matter where, if it's not here in the forum, you could post here the links to the tutorials, for instance.

I'll probably post them on my own website and have the getting started tutorial on SFML as well. Does that sound right? How much details do you need in order to get started? Is the information on Github good enough or do you want more specific on how like setting up the entire ruby environment?

vivo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »
To me, would be great:

- Installation guide, current one is good enough, just remark than first steep is extremely important (get last version of ruby), I tried in a first time with my own version (1.8) and had problems

- Setting up an IDE, I still can't use code intelligence, like autocompletion, go to definition, etc.. (I've tried with komodo). Maybe, as rbSFML is a wrapper of SFML, it is not possible, don't know

- rbSFML Documentation: What works or not contrarily to SFML 2.0 doc, and adding any change

- Some code examples

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:32 pm »
I can look into the whole intellisense but I think it might be hard to get working. There will be documentation which is based on ruby scripts(So I define the classes in ruby and write the documentation there) and maybe those can somehow be used by intellisense? Don't really know hasn't been anything I've thought about.

The documentation will come up eventually I hope. It's a lot of code to document :)

And I will try to make the tutorial very explicit about everything I guess.

vivo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »
I think it's a good idea doing the documentation based on ruby script, it's a clean way to make the doc and could be useful for code intellisense. But for the moment, modifying the current doc for SFML 2 could be faster, don't know what's better