Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Brainbow  (Read 1988 times)

Kazesui

• View Profile
    • Email
Brainbow
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:07:34 pm »
Made this a while ago, utilizing the SFML api, and figured I could post it here as well.

Brainbow is a little tetris like game, where you have blocks of various shapes and colour falling down, and which you need to make disappear to keep the game going. The twist here is the colours.

each block consist of 3 colour components: red, green and blue. The more of these are filled, the brighter the colour gets, and when it's gets white (or close enough) the blocks disappear and you get points.
The blocks generated typically have one of these components filled, and when you place this block next to other blocks, this colour will ripple through the nearby blocks, filling up their own colour components.

Make more blocks disappear at the same time and you get more points, and as more blocks disappear, they start to move faster (typical tetris drill).

screenshots:

video:

notice that there has been a few changes made to game since the video and screen were taken.

download:

A download to the game can be found here:
link

Hope some of you will enjoy this tiny little game of mine  :)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Brainbow
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:53:13 pm »
Very nice, the idea is really original! :)

I have found it sometimes quite difficult to decrease the amount of tiles, since you actually need three different types (RGB). When you stack them, they're often too distant to affect each other. But maybe I just don't have enough skill yet...

Is it possible to rotate the figures? And in case you still feel like developping the game, you could add some graphical effects, for example: disappear/blend animation, fluent movement, nicer tile texture, ... just some input ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: